I quit my gym!!

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

treelizard
    Post subject: I quit my gym!! Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:02 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

So I went out to Portland to train at Straight Blast Gym for a week (and also visited Sportslab while i was there) and after training in healthy, functional environments with people that don’t suck I realized how badly I needed to quit my gym.

We have MMA but basically I either get sat out over and over and over again (I even set up mats next to the ones people roll on to do drills while I get sat out) or I am going against guys who outweigh me by some crazy amount who are using all of their weight instead of technique and rolling as spastically as possible to try to get a submission as soon as they can.

Then we have our coach who told me there wasn’t much he could do for me when I mentioned that my game isn’t improving because I’m not getting to roll enough and when I do roll I never know if it’s my technique being incorrect or not because I never get any feedback. Also we don’t do rounds by time but just by tap so even if I’m not getting sat out I don’t get to go for any length of time.

I actually talked to the gym owner about this when discussing cancellation fees (etc.) and he told me he had no idea; nobody has ever complained about the guy. I pointed out that there have been about a dozen new guys in the time I’ve been there all of who are no longer there, and I also mentioned that two new guys were whispering to me between rounds, asking what to do from certain positions (our coach wanted the most experience guy in the middle to tap out the three of us over and over again as quickly as possible)–they were asking me what to do next because nobody had ever shown them the basics!

I explained the concept of progressive resistance and drills and even (gasp!) slow rolling as a warmup instead of going balls out from the get go… When the owner (who is a really cool guy) mentioned the rest of the equipment (etc.) the gym had to offer I told him I didn’t really get a chance to appreciate it because I got a lot of injuries in class… and I think once a certain tone is set that’s the way it is. When some big guy tried to bend back my finger because he couldn’t get position (I kept shrimping out) that was a bit of a last straw… And I guess training in Portland for a week showed me what a good, healthy, functional gym really is like and I just couldn’t stay at mine any longer.

I guess part of the problem is that the guy wasn’t really interested in training any member (even though that’s what he was hired to do)–he really only wanted to train competitive athletes. It would be nice if they just didn’t allow people who weren’t competitive athletes to join then, because everyone who isn’t ends up feeling unwelcome.

Anyways, I just had to share. Quitting never felt so good. 😀 And I am looking into new gyms to join instead.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:13 am
    Instructor

It sounds like you did yourself a big favor. Maybe you opened some eyes, as well.
    There is some excellent training to be had at the Straight Blast Gym. Do they have an affiliate school anywhere near you? That’s where I would start looking.

treelizard
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:14 am

Rikki wrote:
    It sounds like you did yourself a big favor. Maybe you opened some eyes, as well.
    There is some excellent training to be had at the Straight Blast Gym. Do they have an affiliate school anywhere near you? That’s where I would start looking.
    Unfortunately the nearest SBGi school is in Reno, a good 14 hours away.
    We do have this awesome coach in town who trained with Burton Richardson, but he happens to teach on the day I do my continuing ed courses, so I can only go once a week…and I want a little more than that. I can do twice a week during my summer break (I’m a teacher) which will be good.

I e-mailed a local cagefighter who has trained with practically everybody and he recommended a place I’d never heard of which sounds promising. There are maybe four schools near me that I haven’t checked out because the guys sounded like jerks on the phone, but I could always double check on that. I’m more into no-gi but there is a BJJ school I got really good vibes off of. Unfortunately it is $120/month which is a little bit out of my price range especially if I have to join a regular gym on top of that. The good thing about the gym I was at was that MMA was included in the membership fee (and they had kettlebells and bumper plates there, which I will really miss) but I’m looking into other options for that as well. I guess I just had to decide if I was more into O-lifting or MMA and picked MMA. I could just switch to dumbbells for a while. There’s also a community college near me that has bumpers and I may just enroll in a course there so I can use them. Just being in that gym leaves a bad taste in my mouth now (as cool as the non-MMA aspects are) so I just wanted to get out of there.

ducatigirl
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:49 am

MMA gyms that offer kettlebells and bumperplates in Portland are pretty limited. I train at Team Quest, we have one oly platform and bumper plates, no kettlebells (though I’ve been known to bring in my own). I love working that kind of strength and conditioning as well so I also train and coach at CrossFitHEL (crossfithel.com), the owner gives generous discounts to MMA athletes. Sadly there really aren’t many women training MMA in Portland, and even fewer competing. I’m having to travel to Seattle to get fights, and so far only Muay Thai because we haven’t been able find a suitable MMA opponent in my weight class (I fight at 105-110), so yes, any gym you join you’ll end up working almost completely with men especially in no-gi or MMA. If you’re interested in checking out a class at Team Quest sometime drop me a PM here, I’d be happy to meet up and show you around and answer any questions!

treelizard
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:02 pm

Thanks! I met with Scotty from Crossfit when I was in Portland. I actually live in Tucson and just went up during our spring break (I’m a teacher) to train at SBGi and visit some friends. I also visited Sportslab and took a couple classes with Greg Thompson– what an amazing, inspiring and enthusiastic coach! I wish I lived in Portland.

ducatigirl
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:38 pm

Greg’s been in my corner for my fights and is a close friend. He’s an amazing person and a great coach. Drop a line next time you’re in town if you want a training buddy!

treelizard
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:31 pm

ducatigirl wrote:
    Greg’s been in my corner for my fights and is a close friend. He’s an amazing person and a great coach. Drop a line next time you’re in town if you want a training buddy!
    Will do!! He was SO awesome. Knowing his background and the caliber of athletes he works with and seeing how much time he spent helping me with *warm up drills* (even though he knew I was only going to be at two classes) made me realize I need to leave my gym–where I am a paying member and yet nobody will give me the time of day. Um, sorry, that was a run-on sentence. There were also more women than men at one of the classes I went to, which was cool.

I think I already found a new gym!! It’s affordable and they have both boxing and grappling every weekday… I am going to see if they have enough strength equipment for me before I sign up. I got a really good vibe off of the head coach on the phone.

treelizard
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:35 pm

I found a new gym!!!!!

They have grappling and Muay Thai five nights a week!! And in the summer I could do their morning classes too if I wanted–more boxing and grappling! The price is really good, the instructors are really skilled (4 and 5-time state judo champions, etc.) there are girls that train there and best of all I felt really comfortable and safe there right away.WOO HOO! Leap and the net will appear! 😀

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:53 am
    Instructor

That’s awesome news! I’m glad you found a place that you feel comfortable and hopefully the training there will be good, too.

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:57 am
    Pro Fighter

Good luck with that. Having a good gym is important for anyone, but it makes a particularly big difference if you’re starting out as a woman in the sport (or a small guy, for that matter).

SBG rocks. 😀

treelizard
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:03 pm

SBG does rock!! I really want to get some of the Functional JKD DVDs but of course I spent all my money going to Portland. 😆 It was well worth it of course.

The gym I checked out is so awesome. They have grappling and Muay Thai five days a week and two of the coaches are multiple time state Judo champions. There are girls around my size in the grappling class and best of all, I felt really safe and comfortable right away. 😀

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?