i’m fighting in the men’s division anybody have a war story?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

jjsmommi2
    Post subject: i’m fighting in the men’s division.anybody have a war story? Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:21 am

hey everyone.

first tournament. i’m four months into my jiu-jisu training. just the first tournament thing is nervewracking, but i’m fightin in the men’s cuz there is no women to compete with around here. just feeling some jitters. i’m in in to have fun for sure but i’m still competitive.

Anyone care to share a tournament story with me ? Anyone fought in the men’s division? how’d ya do? any tips?

oh and also…a guy from my gym told me that no matter what happens i’m going to lose (even if i tap him) because any man i go with is going to go easy on me. isn’ that some crap? kind of bursts my bubble a bit.

sharice
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:55 am

Funny you should bring up this topic. I just had the same thing happen to me last weekend. I went to a tournament in Indiana and there were no women so I asked if I could go in the men’s beginner bracket.
    Here’s the link on youtube
    I lost in 3:55 sec. The way I look at it I lasted 3:55sec though. He was a lot stronger than me. I don’t think he took it easy on me but that’s just because I took him down first. I think you’ll be fine. I have been training groundwork for about 7 mos which is why i did beginner and not novice. Technique can beat brut strength sometimes I think but he was definitely stronger than me. I made a mistake which is why I lost not because I was weaker.
    Just do it. It’s a learning experience, win or lose.

Good luck!

themannon
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:07 pm

good luck.

Whether the man takes it easy on you will probably depend on whether there are women in his gym. If there are women in his gym, he’ll be more likely to recognize that a woman could tap him if he’s not on his game (and depending on the skill of the women in his gym, he may know that there could be women more skilled than he).

Go strong from the start – maybe catch him off guard. You dont have a lot of experience – just give it your best.

Queenpearl
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:43 pm

I’ve fought in the Men’s division both gi and no-gi about 4 times. Last time was a month ago, I got silver. And I did it in my pink gi. 😀

Maybe it’s a cultural thing, but the men here (I live in Denmark) definately do not hold back if they have to fight a woman at a competition – they start panicking if they get behind, even though we are in 2007 and they know technique is so important, there’s still nothing worse for them than losing to a girl.

jjsmommi2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:00 am

sharice i think you did awesome. you are in such good shape!!!!!! and you really dominated the fight. i dont know you but i’m real proud of you and happy for you too you should be proud of yourself. thatnk you for sharing your video it really cheered me up. i was feeling a tad glum when i found out that the guys i’ll be going up against are seasoned wrestlers.

queenpearl that’s amazing. i hope that one day i can be as good and my gi is the white atama with pink lettering. 🙂 i’m also wearing the black and pinkatama rashguard during no-gi.

mannon…you know what that’s real good advice and i’m going to take it. i am goign to do everything within my power to take him down i’ve been working with the wrestlers in my gym and also the sambo guy so i’ll be a little prepared. i figure they probably will expect me to jump guard so i might freak him out a little when i shoot who knows. i’ve been working on leg and ankle locks too which i dont see alot of girls pull off so it should be interesting.
    i’ve never actually grappled another girl except for one (she doesn’t really count though cuz she’s a brown belt and a beast…real talented and expierienced fighter) so i am used to grappling boys and i dont think my opponents are used to goign with girls so it might be a disconcerting dynamic for them.

i guess the important thing to remember is that i am a newbie and i shouldn’t take myself so seriously right? 🙂

anyone else? i love hearing tournament stories.

Queenpearl
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:25 pm

Sharice – nice fight, you had good hip movement , pressure and were controlling the fight a lot of the time. Yea, you made one mistake – twice – going for the head, instead of the underhook, when you were on top, but I’m sure you know that.

jjs – I can send you one of my recent fights against a guy if you want, I just can’t put it out on youtube cuz I’m having a superfight in a week and I don’t want my recent stuff out public.
    Btw, what that guy says about you losing no matter what, is bs…it’s the opposite. You’re a girl, so noone is expecting anything at all from you – the pressure is on him, and no matter what, win or lose, you get respect just for fighting a man.
    When you fight, have a plan over what you want to do. Maybe you won’t be able to, but it’s good to have something concrete to try and concentrate on, instead of being on the mat and having a thousand techniques flying through you brain..

Good luck!!

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:41 pm
    Pro Fighter

Go for it! You have nothing to lose. A couple years ago I entered the men’s division too. Sucks to pay the same price and be lucky to get maybe one fight in the women’s division. You have just as much chance to win as anyone else that enters.

Here’s a video of my first men’s match The guy I went against was also a seasoned wrestler:

He outweighed me by at least 10 pounds. I don’t think he was going easy on me, he smashed my face with his forarm and my jaw was sore for like a week. If he did go light that was his mistke. But just goes to show you doesn’t matter what smile you are, it’s technique and conditioning that will generally win the match. I went on to a second men’s match after that and lost on points. To this day it’s my only grappling loss. It was funny because I am friends with the second guys team and in the middle of the match he had me on mount or in my guard i think. His coach was telling him to “just sit there and hold me because he was going to get tapped if he tried anything” I looked up and the coach, my friend and he just shrugged and said sorry. I laughed and said it was all good, I understand.

Good luck!

holddown
    Post subject: how about a little mixed mmaPostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:11 am

he doesnt seem to be going light on her.

Rikki
    Post subject: Re: i’m fighting in the men’s division.anybody have a war stPostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:54 am
    Instructor

jjsmommi2 wrote:
    oh and also…a guy from my gym told me that no matter what happens i’m going to lose (even if i tap him) because any man i go with is going to go easy on me. isn’ that some crap? kind of bursts my bubble a bit.
    It’s been my experience that they don’t go lighter on girls. They go as hard as they can because their egos can’t take being beaten by a girl. Even if they let the girl win, they’d never hear the end of it from their male friends.

Pankration_MuayThai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:31 pm
    Pro Fighter

I grappled in a men’s division last weekend and had a great experience.

I won my first match, and lost my second.

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:36 am
    Pro Fighter

Right on Liz! How did you win? Were there any women at all to compete against?

themannon
    Post subject: Re: how about a little mixed mmaPostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:26 pm

holddown wrote:

Definitely not. Men fighting women in grappling is one thing, MMA is a whole different deal, IMO. He was way too strong for her.

sharice
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:46 pm

I agree. I would never think of doing MMA against a man.

Flyingdagger
    Post subject: Take ur time gals and train hard!!PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:36 pm

holddown wrote:

Hi girls!

I’m new here and thought this site is a great opportunity. However, I would like to suggest that you be patient and train HARD in the gym. Train with different men when possible from different gyms as much and as often as possible. Find a camp and train with men.Train under match conditions under a good coach and save your energy for a competition for a few years.

What I have seen in the video above and the others:

1. Covering should be right from the beginning
    2. Kick shot should be with a narrow angle, shooting and unpredictable. She got out of balance and came square on to the opponent. She should have gone to the side and tap and throw him
    3. She paused after the kick and should have used momentum for further strikes and kicks. The kick should have been to the shin and knee area
    4. Once on the ground, she should have covered her face with the gloves. Hook his ankle when possible. Thank God he didn’t beat her to minced meat
    I made this mistake over and over, coming in square on and telegraphing intent. In Tai Chi Chuan one of the strategies is going to the side and grab. At least you wouldn’t be taken down on your leg within such a short time. In due time I also learnt how to observe the opponent’s moves before they attack

Anyway good luck for your training and match with guys as much as you can

Rikki
    Post subject: Re: Take ur time gals and train hard!!PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:10 am
    Instructor

Flyingdagger wrote:
    holddown wrote:

Hi girls!

I’m new here and thought this site is a great opportunity. However, I would like to suggest that you be patient and train HARD in the gym. Train with different men when possible from different gyms as much and as often as possible. Find a camp and train with men.Train under match conditions under a good coach and save your energy for a competition for a few years.

What I have seen in the video above and the others:

1. Covering should be right from the beginning
    2. Kick shot should be with a narrow angle, shooting and unpredictable. She got out of balance and came square on to the opponent. She should have gone to the side and tap and throw him
    3. She paused after the kick and should have used momentum for further strikes and kicks. The kick should have been to the shin and knee area
    4. Once on the ground, she should have covered her face with the gloves. Hook his ankle when possible. Thank God he didn’t beat her to minced meat
    I made this mistake over and over, coming in square on and telegraphing intent. In Tai Chi Chuan one of the strategies is going to the side and grab. At least you wouldn’t be taken down on your leg within such a short time. In due time I also learnt how to observe the opponent’s moves before they attack

Anyway good luck for your training and match with guys as much as you can
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

cosmic

Post subject: Re: Take ur time gals and train hard!!PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:56 am

Rikki wrote:

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    True dat!!!

You definitely need a strategy/game plan when going into any fight. However, being able to stick to your game plan will come with experience. you gotta start somewhere.

cosmic
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:00 am

Its so cool to hear stories from females having competed against men.
    Just awesome! Full respect! Go girls!

holddown
    Post subject: he beat her sillyPostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:18 pm

the guy beat her silly. no doubt about that. he did not let up. he was obviusly trying to hurt here which he was entitled to do.

she had not shot. one might ask, what was she doing???????

Flyingdagger
    Post subject: plan evaporatesPostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:40 am

That’s what I was trying to say. Training and competition are two different things. Reality training to prepare you for a competition and even streetfight with no rules is most important.

In training you do have a plan and when you make mistakes you have to train differently. It is important to build up slowly and systematically. Have your plan and experience less pressure. Then you will step by step be exposed to heavier pressure and stronger opponent. It takes a long time to train to keep your plan and there is NO guarantee that it does not happen in the ring. But a high amount of training will reduce mishaps. Or do you think Debi never trains and enters the ring straight away?

Well.. that’s MMA competition. The guy is either not an experienced fighter either or is reserved. I remember, just watch the video again, somebody said not to hurt her too much. No, his punches were still reserved because he did have the opportunity to beat the crap out of her.

Well…she will have much time to train and re-enter the ring again. I have stopped competing due to old age but have entered the ring a few times.

Girls have a good chance to win because when they have good stamina , technique and flexibility, they can be too slippery for men.

jjsmommi2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:12 pm

ok so update. tournament was last saturday.

i arrived feeling apprehensive, never been to a tournament before. it was wonderful seeing so many other grapplers and the different schools…different styles..etc. i weighed in, and went over to my mat with my training partners and started to warm up.

ok let me digress for a second. i am the only female that trains bjj at my school besides a brown belt who is really never there. i never grappled another girl. i hold my own with the guys, even do well sometimes, train about five-six days a week (one stripe white belt btw) so i’ll admit it….i felt a little like i was pretty tough you know? (when you have no competion, of course you will feel like you are the best) i was feeling a little egotistical and i didn’t even know it. like YEah i’m the hardcore grapplin’ chick only one brave enough to do the tourney yada yada ok back to the tournament.

so we’re warming up and my coach let’s me know…..Guess what? theres a girl comin’. we want yall to do a ‘superfight exhibition’ in front of everyone. don’t worry about entering the men’s .

so i’m like, hell yeah ..i’m going to eat this girl for breakfast. (thinking she’s a girl, she can’t be tougher than the guys) then one little thing…she’s a brown belt in judo. so i’m like ok, no problem i’ll take her she probably got it from a McDojo , she CANT be tougher than me. all my partners are like ‘oh you’ll take her no problem she’s little yada yak yada’

so all morning i’m warming up , shooting , i rolled for like three hours and the whole time she’s just sitting with her school, serenly smiling at me. i figured she was just lazy. haha.

ok fight time. we walk up to the mat. my trainer doug walks up to me looks at me very seriously and says. niki. drop guard. watch out she’s a judo girl. so at that point i started to get a little nervous.

HAHAHA CAN I TELL YOU THIS CHICK MADE ME HER B***** FOR LIKE FIVE MINUTES STRAIGHT. i was totally overwhelmed and completly outclassed. i did EVERYTHING that i could possibly do wrong and the only sunshine through the clouds was that i didn’t get submitted. it was like when that bell rang i forgot everythign i ever learned. she was good. real good. stuck to me like freakin glue i could not get her off of me!! she utilized her weight so well i was really impressed. needless to say i lost 6-2 i think and couldn’t believe it.

so what did i learn…

1) grappling a girl is a very diffrent dynamic than grappling a guy.
    2) that i am definitly, not, in any way THE sh*t.
    3) i have a looooooooong way to go.
    4) and that humble pie tastes very very bad. 🙁

but i am damn happy and grateful that i learned these lessons and i hope to become a much better competitor and grappler b/c of it.

so there’s my funny little story hope it made yall laugh….i will try to have the video posted soon. just dont make fun of me.

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:22 pm
    Pro Fighter

The important thing is that you learned from the experience. Win or lose, as long as you take something away from the experience that can allow you to learn and grow as a person. You still stepped up and fought someone more experienced then you and still didn’t get tapped out.

jjsmommi2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:29 pm

yeah that’s what everyone keeps telling me. i still lost though.

😳

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:19 pm
    Pro Fighter

You lost but you didn’t get “beat”. Trust me I have full knowledge what it feels like to lose. But you’ll be OK. The rule is you are allowed to feel sorry for yourself for 1 day, then you have to shake it off and start focusing on the next project 🙂

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:53 pm
    Pro Fighter

Yeah, i think that’s a trap that’s easy to fall into. If you’re used to training with guys, and the guys think you’re pretty tough because you can hang with them then it’s easy to start thinking you’re way tougher than all the other women out there… forgetting that other women can be pretty tough too 🙂

themannon
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:25 pm

If the guys in your gym are good (do they do well when they compete?) then this result makes me think that they aren’t really going hard with you. If you think this might be the case, you need to tell them to come with the real. Its the only way you’ll really get better.

jjsmommi2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:02 pm

yeah you know id say they do pretty well. and actually i think sometimes they go really harder then necessary with me. the “oh crap i’m about to get tapped by a girl” crazy rage kicks in if you know what i mean.

no i think the real issue is that all my training partners are white belt noobs just like me and the girl was a brown belt in judo with very high ranking training partners. and my cardio needs work. i could list a bunch of reasons for days that contributed to my losing but when you boil it down i was just outclassed.

wont be next time though 😀

BrianNYC
    Post subject: Good for you….PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:07 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

I think it is great that women feel they can and do compete against men. But I do think there may be an appropriate time to do so.

What I also wanted to say was…Sharice, you were awesome in that competition. You look great and in shape and you really did well against that guy. Good for you and good luck

BrawlerBitch
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:19 pm

We have to remember that all the women we go against, train with men just like we do.

8)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?