Injuries : back on the mat

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

HAMA_Head
    Post subject: Injuries : back on the matPostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:59 pm

hello all. would like to say first off that i really like the new site. it needs a cute Debi icon somewhere though. 😉

i got my first injury (of serious note ) in training last thursday. a broken rib. ouch. i like vicadin now. is there ANYTHING other than time/rest that can help along this healing process? i have been dying to train for a while and now that i get to do it i’m hurt. at least i have a million MMA DVDs and magazines to check out during my bedrest.

AM ” Early ” Jenkins

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:58 pm

I think you should not do anything for at least one week. Anyhing involving your torso is just asking for trouble, IMO. I have never had a rib break before. Was it a clean break? Was it just a hairline fracture?

The only thing that I would work on is cardio for a while, and stretching the muscles that you can stretch (lower body). Maintain your athleticism while your body recovers. Eat plenty of green foods to help with the healing. Eat adequate amounts of protein. Don`t go crazy with the calories unless you are maintaining your metabolism with cardio work. You want to heal, but you don`t want to fall behind on your training. Get on a stationary bike when you can…or a treadmill maybe…something. Just don`t take a chance with your torso. Torso injuries have a way of being chronic. Most people have a story of a chronic injury that came about from them not allowing their body to heal properly.

Good luck.

Bjj nerd
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:31 am

That sux! I feel ya. I’m still nursing an injury and posted something similar on the “old site.” I broke my pinkie and was sidelined for a month and a half. I had surgery and am currently doing some physical therapy.
    Think of this as a much needed vacation… I know going from being really active to not is a rough adjustment, especially if you are not able to work and train and basically have no fun. Just relax.
    My boyfriend hurt is rib, kept training, and eventually broke his rib, so I repeat resist any urge to jump back on the mat until you are pretty healed up.
    I just got back on the mat this week (not 100%) and I feel great. I’m listening to my body and not going nuts. I’m not even using the hand that I hurt, and I really am amazed at what I’ve managed to pull off. My training partners were surprised (me too!) and comented on how my game seems tighter inspite of the injury. I think because I couldn’t be on the mat I tried visualizing more in my head. 😆 Sounds silly but I’ve talked to others and they’ve had similar results.
    I’ll stop gabbin’

GOod luck and take her easy,
    Oh yeah and make sure you take all your vitamins especially the calcium and antioxidants for a speedy recovery. That’s what my doc said… I think he was right.

rebekah
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:56 am

Injuries are no fun 🙁 I’m just getting back into the swing of things after having a subluxation of a rib from my spine and muscle damage. I’ve been out of it a while and am SO out of shape 🙂

AM ” Early ” Jenkins, did you find a place to train?

ladygrappler
    Post subject: Ouchie!PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:08 pm

Hey there! I feel ya in the rib department! I cracked my rib (not a full clean break so if you did that this may not apply to you) Like everyone is saying DO NOT go back on the mat till you are at least 85% healed! And even then with rib injuries dont let anyone assume mount, or side control or scarf hold, work from gaurd and you on mount till you are close to fully healed. Some speedy recovery tips? Take calcium supplements, streach every other thing you can! By keeping the rest of your body healthy it will help heal the not so healthy. Also when the majority of the pain goes away, begin to work the rib by taking very DEEP breaths, this shockingly does numerous things for the muscles around the rib and the rib itself! Heal quickly and get back in there!
    Chels

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?