Interview with Molly “The Maulinator” Helsel

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Executioner
    Post subject: Interview with Molly “The Maulinator” Helsel PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:56 am

Here is a interview with Molly “The Maulinator” Helsel

http://www.fightergirls.com

a to the j
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:58 am

Molly is an really cool girl, hope to see her more in the sport!

chad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:18 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

Awesome interview Molly!!!!

Thanks for posting the link

Chad

Shyenne
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:01 pm

Wow great interview!

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:54 pm
    Pro Fighter

Thanks!!! That’s the first interview I have done and I’m really excited about it. Shy – wish you would have come to NAGA today. I won the women’s no gi. The match was boring but I won on points and got the coveted samurai sword – which is a real sword by the way (I mean sharp edge and all for cutting things you know). The best part of the day though – was when I tapped out the first guy I went against in the mens division with a rear naked choke. IT WAS THE BOMB!! The whole gym just erupted when it happened. I lost my second men’s match because the guy took me down and just held me there pretty much the whole time. But I missed the women;s gi because I was still fighting the men, so that was too bad because there were 4 new girls there but they only fought gi. Today was a good day.

voly
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:49 am

A fine interview. Congrats to the Maulinator for her impressive achievements and her cheerful outlook.

Additional plaudits for having the detrmination (or whatever it took) to enter a men’s competition – and then having the talent to choke a submission from one of the guys. It’s understandable if the loser felt a little distraught after a woman tapped him out in front of an audience. A person ought to avoid sulking, though. It helps nothing. Following a loss of that kind (or any kind I suppose) it is generally a good idea for the loser to look the winner in the eye, provide a firm handshake and say a few words of congratulations. Not easy to do perhaps. However, it’s claimed that doing that will help a person get over a tough loss more quickly.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:35 pm
    Pro Fighter

Molly! You know Kirik, right? I train at his gym, and he wouldn’t stop talking about you to everyone. He told the story about how that guy was grinding your face into the mat but you just sat it out, got out, took his back and choked him out. COOL! 😀 congrads! Kirik said that was his favorite thing about the tournament. 😉 I must have heard that story about 5 times today!!!

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:50 pm
    Pro Fighter

HA! It’s my favorite subject of the day too! That’s pretty cool, I know since he is involved in the tournament, he can’t get too involved in the matches. I didn;t get much of a chance to talk to him personally, but I was really happy with NAGA this year. Last year I had some issues about not providing a belt or something for the women’s division, and this year they made an effort at equality with the samurai swords, which I think is better than a belt anyway. I was pretty shocked at myself when he tapped, but I can not tell you how good it felt. I don’t think I have had a happier day in my life.

Are you still trying to get on the HNS card? I finally got a confirmation on my opponent – Sara Boyd. AJ is fighting someone else I think. If not, you should at least try to make it to the event. I am so excited to meet all the bad ass ladies out there face to face, rather then just reading about them.

The sport (women) has grown SOOOO much since I started following it quite a few years ago.

And if it makes the guy feel any better – my jaw is still sore from the headlock. I hope he learns from it and doesn’t sulk or even worse quit. And God forbid he doesn’t kill himself , like most of the guys on the Underground claimed they would. Man – that shit was too funny!

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:14 am
    Pro Fighter

Glad your opponent was confirmed! I’m definately going to be at HNS for the grappling tournament. I’m still trying to get on the HNS card. We’re still unsure of an opponent right now. I’m waiting to hear back from Jeff.
    I’ve fought guys in NAGA’s before but didn’t win any of them. Then Kipp told me I had to stop- I was very sad. I guess he’s allowing it again though. oh well! Makes more sense if there’s a smaller tournament and not as many people for women to fight. 🙂 I’m over enthusiastic sometimes.

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:31 pm
    Pro Fighter

Well, you know nothing is every really confirmed until papers are signed, I would even say until the day of the fight. But I’ll be there, and ready to fight. What’s your weight Rox?

I thought NAGA made the right decision to let me fight the men’s.They know I am only trying to challenge myself, and it just sucks paying that kind of money to have one match. There were actually more girls there than ever before, but they all fought gi. I was going to enter gi too, even though I don’t really train it, but the men’s was still going when they started. I think it’s really on a case by case basis, depending on how many girls enter. As a matter of fact when I registered the lady at first told me I couldn;t, but Kipp was standing right there and he said it was OK.

I just hope the guy learned from it, and everyone out there. I know there are a lot of us on this forum that can and do it every day in training and in competition. I hope that the people that saw it realize that women are just as serious, and just as skilled as men. I also hope they saw that good ground skills and patience can overtake a stronger, heavier, skilled opponent.

Well I hope I get to meet you in Evansville, I’ll have to decide, depending how (and if) the fight goes – if I enter the grappling tournament.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:25 pm
    Pro Fighter

I’m 135-140.
    I think it was a good decision to let you fight too, especially since you just said your division had only one person. I’m all for fighting in the men’s division- now I’d feel guilty, though LOL. the ‘guy’s problem’ of ‘of you win you’re a jerk’ and ‘if you lose you’re a wimp’ so I sort of want to, sort of don’t want to anymore. I’m way too nice about that ^_^; but I remember three years ago I fought this one really really nice guy who I almost beat, and we actually went into an overtime. I talked to him all day after that. 🙂

See you in Evansville!! 😀

Anystylist
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:09 am

Molly, you said the guy you choked was stronger, heavier and skilled. Just for the record:

How much did you both weigh in at?

Do you have any idea how much experience (years of training and/or number of matches) he had?

For that matter, how much do you have? It wasn’t specifically mentioned in the interview.

Anyway, congrats. And there’s no sense worrying about what the guy is going to do, unless you know what his full background is.

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:20 pm
    Pro Fighter

I was 130 that day and he was probably at lest 143.

I don’t know how many years of training he had, but I know he was a wrestler, and I know he had somewhat of a reputation at a few schools. Some people had come up to me afterwards, happy I had tapped him, becayse apparently he has a very bad training ethic. I guess he was really wild, hurting people and left one school a week before NAGA and claimed another school at the tournament. I don’t know what his name is or what school he was from.

I have had 6 gi and no-gi matches total in my 3 years of competition experience.

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:48 am
    Fightergirls Pro Fight Team

What a cool interview Molly,
    you have such a great attitude and are kicking ass. that is awsome. thank you for all the kind words also. good luck in all your future fights and tourneys.

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:56 pm
    Pro Fighter

Shhhhh – don’t tell anybody!! I have a reputation to uphold…. J/K 😆

It’s all true by the way, what I said about you. Although there were probably women that fought before you, I doubt most of us would be where we are today without you. You are the first one to step it up and MAKE the public see us as real fighters. Also to get us together and build bonds within the community. And creating a place where someone that’s interested can find out all they need to know about the ladies that fight. Remeber when all the top girls – Tara Larosa, Erica Montoya (just to name a very few) hadn’t even fought yet? Just think how far we’ve come since then, and that was only a few years ago! Women in the sport are growing faster than the men I think.

I hope I get to see you fight soon, got anything in the works? Will you be attending HNS?

Anystylist
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:15 am

Molly, thanks for the info. Makes me a little embarrassed that he was a wrestler, but the adjustment needed to transit from freestyle/folkstyle pin wrestling to submission grappling is larger than people usually think. Kinda like the difference between MT and boxing.

Anyway, if he’s sandbagging training partners and schools, I guess it’s rough justice.

Rox, you took a guy into overtime then talked to him the rest of the day? I hope he wanted to talk to you. Some dudes wouldn’t, and for them, you’d be pure torture. 😉

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:47 am
    Pro Fighter

Anystylist:

He choked me out in overtime 😛 So he won, and it seemed like he wanted to talk to me. I had my feelers out to see if he seemed uncomfortable, but he just seemed impressed and happy (that he won LOL)

Jerzey
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:09 pm

Congrats Molly… that’s way kewl you did the mens division. Kipp had stopped letting the chics do the womens divisions up here . That’s actually how I even got my name out there, once upon a time. The HnS is gonna be awsome. Poor Jeff, he finally got things straightened around with the match ups. Good luck in the show, I’m sure I’ll see ya there… if you see me first come up and say hi, even if I look pissed off (I always look like that). 😆

😀 🙂 8)

Seth
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:27 pm

It’s the nature of this sport, where gals can excel against guys with technique that counters the strength issue. Then add to that the posturing some guys do and you have your case of a guy being rather upset losing in public competition to a sub. I was surprised there weren’t more competitors in your division coz I thought martial arts are very popular in Hawaii.
    The only issue is going down to a lower level to fight but then you’re moving up in weight against stronger opponents which makes it a tricky issue. The level consideration is different in mma of course where you have AJ, a blue belt going against a white belt level in her first mma fight. Well, the white belt panicked somewhat and started flaying around and using Pride fight rules resulting in a DQ. Hope AJ is OK. Is your fight set in Hook’Shoot?

I saw the posts on your match at mma.tv. It was funny but one thing: if you have a future match like this: could you not jump up and down? That always killed us going back to elementary.

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:07 pm
    Pro Fighter

Jerzey – Yeah, I was thinking you were one of the ones I was talking about that had done it and been successful before. Were you successful? I’m sure Jeff is stressed too, but my fight is confirmed for Sarah Boyd. I can’t really believe that I am finally going to be a part of this. I am almost just as excited to meet the “ladies behind the screen names” as I am to fight 🙂 Same here – I look like that too 🙂 Especially after an 8-10 hour plane ride.

Seth – What’s more popular is “false cracking” people and surrounding one person with ten of your friends. There are not many that put the time and discipline into serious training, especially women. It’s something I’m working on though – trying to get an all womens class together to hopefully encourage more to train. I wasn’t in a lower level – I was in the right level. The divisions were different than normal over here. They eliminated advanced I think and went straight to expert. Intermediate cut off was 5 years.

AJ is fine. She is training at Militech now (she abandoned me on this rock 🙁 ) and doing very well. She has done some KB matches and won. She has an MMA fight this Sat. against Alissa Cantwell and will be at HNS. Her face was numb for awhile after that and she thought the damage might be permanent – but thank God it wasn’t, and she’s all healed now.

As I mentioned on the other forum, that was the only thing I regret (celebrating like that) No matter who the fight is against, it was not classy, unprofessional and rude. I really couldn’t help it though, I was totally in shock. But thats not the way I want to conduct myself as a fighter, so thanks for your opinion.

voly
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:24 pm

In a post a couple ahead of this one Jerzey wrote approximately this: That’s actually how I got my name out there…….”

just wondering: What was it that she did tha brought recognition to her at that time?

onthebox
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:14 am

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but are there any photos of molly’s appearance versus the guy? it was awesome. looked on naga’s site but they seem to have no action photos.

brandy
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:09 am

Very nice and classy interview. We hope to continue reading about you more in the future and we’d LOVE to see you in the cage against Debi! That would be the fight of the century! Keep up the good work.

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:07 pm
    Pro Fighter

Wow this thread brings back memories! Ironically my training partner just put the video available on the net. Not sure how to find it on Google, but here is a link to where you can find it at:

http://www.fightergirls.com

onthebox
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:48 pm

amazing, thanks… didn’t see how pissed off he was in the flesh. did that guy go to punahou?? think i recognize…

maulinator you really rubbed it in by being so overly ecstatic, was that on purpose? what did you have against him 🙂

This was the first martial arts event I’d been to as my friend was competing, but it was a huge buzz to see the ‘underdog’ prevail, the american way, karate kid/rocky stylee, and definitely accentuated a respect for the ‘art’ of the sport rather than the brutality I guess your average joe would associate with it. are there any other links to conventionally “shock result” matches like this where littler guys take on bigger guys, women take on men, or significantly older guys take on younger?

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:38 am
    Pro Fighter

FOR THE RECORD:

I feel embarassed at how I reacted after the match. Yes, I was happy, no I should not have acted like that. That was not classy or respectful, and I learned my lesson, and no I wasn’t trying to rub it in.

Seth
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:13 am

What a team you have, Molly. Is that your JKD coach’s voice in the background? He gave sound advice on where the fight was at and where to take it. There might have been some risk of an ankle lock counter against the rnc but a good match in the guard, defenses and all. Now seeing it on a clip, the post game celebrations weren’t too bad against dude with the Paris Island look.
    You’ll fight the Canadian fighter, Tanya next?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?