Intro and totally new to all of this

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

chicx0r
    Post subject: Intro and totally new to all of this PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:44 pm

Hello.

I have just recently become very interested in MMA.

Now, I am a tall (5’10”) but thin (110 lbs) woman (25 yo). I am going to start working out at a gym and getting myself back in shape… But I am interested in starting to learn some of the various styles well.

I will admit, I am very intimidated by it all, especially going into it at my age and being out of shape…

I was curious if anyone else has been in a similar situation? If there was any advice anyone could give me? At this point, the only thing I could think of was to start calling around to places in the phone book and see what classes/schools are around..?

Thank you in advance,
    C

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:50 am
    Instructor

Jiu-jitsu is probably a good place to start. Where are you from? Maybe someone can recommend a good school in your area.

chicx0r
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:35 am

I am in Memphis, TN for the time being.

I actually have a friend that does MMA, but he is in FL. He actually is a bit of a driving force because in addition to my liking the sport, I am tired of getting my butt handed to me when he’s just joking around…and I realized how “weak” I really am.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:25 am
    Instructor

I found this place on mma.tv:
    http://www.memphisbjj.com
    It’s really the only one I found.

If your friend is still training it’s probably a safe bet that he will be handing your butt to you for a long time (maybe forever). If you start training he just won’t hand it to you so easily. 😀

coslisa
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:30 am
    Pro Fighter

I started Kickboxing / MMA when I was 24, before that i’d only done a self-defense class which is a world apart.

I agree that Jiu-Jitsu would be a good start but make sure you cross train with boxing or kickboxing as well, if you start them both at the same time you’ll end up being a well rounded fighter.

chicx0r
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:48 am

Thank you so much!

Yes, I expect he’ll always be better than me, but… at least I’ll have more of a chance, LoL. But all the same, he’s not the reason I am doing this…but he helped get me interested in it.

I was thinking…I met someone through an ex that teaches some type of MMA, and I think he competes… So I will try and track him down as well. If I remember correctly, he does BJJ as well.

Glad to hear other people had a late start. I am just uncoordinated, we’ll see how it goes. LoL I do tend to get hurt easily, but it’s because I’m skin and bones, blah. But I think we all know, women are much better at dealing with pain than men, right? 😉

I was thinking it would be best for me to just stick to the gym for 6 weeks or so, then get into the other. Would you agree? Perhaps just go to some classes and watch for a while, if they will let me.

Thanks again everyone. I’m getting really excited about this.

-C

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:21 am
    Pro Fighter

Geez woman – ya make me feel old! I am 28 now and started when I was 21. Even back then I felt like I was maybe a little to old to start.

Now I don’t really feel like that is true. It may be different for women I think because our bodies are more hardy than a man’s. That may be a biased observation, but seems to be true from my experience. We get smarter as we get older, so that makes it easier for you to pick up on the moves.

Good for you for getting right in there! That is really the only way to start – just jump in with both feet.

I would say to call around at all the schools in your area for any style (well try to stick to BJJ, Muay Thai, Kickboxing or Boxing gyms – not necessarily Tae Kwon Do or Karate). Many of these schools advertise a certain style, but really have MMA geared programs. Take the time to check each one out to find what is good for you.

For me a good school depends on the instructor and the other students solely. I don’t base it on how many competitions they have been in or how many trophys they have on the walls or how many heavy bags they have hanging.. Having a good group of peolpe, that you see eye to eye with, is by far the most important. Make sure that the gym supports you as a female wanting to learn the sport.

Be prepared to get frustrated. You will have good days and bad days, but no matter what keep showing up at the gym with your head high. It’s not easy, if it were everyone would be doing it. But it is fun, an it will change your life. Just be ready to invite the challenge and don’t ever take no for an answer!

Good luck in your training! Keep us posted on what gyms you find, and how your first training sessions go!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?