IOC lift for female boxers

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Cannon_Bull
    Post subject: IOC lift for female boxersPostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:59 am

I know this is not MMA but I still think this is good news for women combat sports. I got this from the BBC Sports web site;

IOC lift for female boxers

Women boxers could soon be slugging it out on the Olympic stage

Women’s boxing could be staged at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, according to the International Olympic Committee.

Boxing is the one sport women will not contest at this summer’s Athens Games.

The IOC’s women and sport commission chairwoman Anita DeFrantz said on Tuesday: “Boxing will be accepted, maybe at the (2008) Games, sure.”

But speaking at an IOC Third World conference, she added tackling issues such as the media coverage of women athletes would be more complex.

Other matters such as marketing and sponsorship in women’s sport or smile harassment were also areas the IOC were planning to address, De Frantz added.

“When you consider that women’s basketball was not on the programme until 1976, there’s been an extraordinary change.

“Information is power, we have that power, we have strategies that work, we must now be heard, and louder,” she said.

De Frantz, who won a rowing bronze medal at the 1976 Montreal Olympics, was an IOC vice-president from 1997-2001.

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:50 am

tackling issues such as the media coverage of women athletes would be more complex.

No kidding.

This is good news for female athletes overall!
    Also, womens wrestling has been added to the Olympics starting this year.
    I created a thread about it on the old forum (fightergirls.com).
    Great news!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?