This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

ciscodog
    Post subject: irony? PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:49 am

Why do people spar with footpads that only cover the top of the foot when its the heel or ball of the foot that does the most damage. Theres no padding for the bottom of the foot, and that seems to defeat the purpose of pads. Share your thoughts…………..

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:33 am

The padding on the top of your foot isn’t for their protection, it is for yours. The bottom has a great deal more padding already and you are striking, at least with a side or stomp kick, your heal. If you miss with a round kick and hit them with the top of your bare foot instead of your shin, prepare to go to the doctor and get a cast.

Those little bones are fragile…well, except for Greta’s. They take a hell of a stomping.

Last edited by KhorneliusPraxx on Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

ciscodog
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:46 am

The correct position for a roundhouse/round kick is for the ball of the foot to make contact with the toes curled up.(also front and rear leg front kicks) The kick your describing seems to be a thai kick utilizing the shin bone. Now if your particular style uses the ball of the foot or heel, I would have to say that the pad is for your partners protection since the heel stomp will break all those small bones along the top and sides of the foot.(along with various foot to foot sweeps) In point sparring many people use the top or instep to add extra inches to the reach of their kick while sacrificing some penetration. Though your foot diagram is impressive I’m not convinced that your correct in your asumption that its for your protection and not theirs. Lets debate!

nhbSDMF
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:51 am

If the pads you’re referring to are like this: http://www.fightergirls.com then they are for thai boxing and are meant to protect the legs and feet of the person wearing them.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:43 pm
    Instructor

nhbSDMF wrote:
    If the pads you’re referring to are like this: http://www.fightergirls.com then they are for thai boxing and are meant to protect the legs and feet of the person wearing them.

I concur.

ciscodog
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:13 pm

no, i’m referring to http://www.fightergirls.com

ciscodog
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:15 pm

the link you have is for shin pads and yes they are for the protection of the person wearing them. The pads I’m refering to are made by century and are low top boots. May the debate continue!!

nhbSDMF
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:55 pm

I’m still not sure how this is a debate.

The little booties that you linked to would provide the defender with some protection on certain kicks, as well as protection for the top of the attacker’s foot in case they kicked into an elbow or something.

ciscodog
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:06 pm

0k it may not be much of a debate but rather a discussion that will hopefully progress into diffrent styles of kicking. Not to many styles want the student to kick with the top of the foot impacting unless its point sparring and you want some extra reach. I could be wrong. If you know a style that encourages kicking with the top of the foot, let me know and i’ll dream up something else to start a discussion. Just trying to get people thinking about forms and diffrent techniques 🙂 😮 😯

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:09 am

ciscodog wrote:
    Not to many styles want the student to kick with the top of the foot impacting

Exactly!
    So why is all that padding over the top of the foot?
    To protect the top of your foot…I assume.

I do have to admit that I know absolutely nothing about TKD and Karate so maybe there is something I’m missing.

I assume that no matter what style you learned, if you accidentally kick someone with the top of your foot, you are going to hurt yourself more than your opponent.
    If there is a style that tells you to purposely kick someone with the top of your foot…well, that just seems foolish.

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:17 am

nhbSDMF wrote:
    If the pads you’re referring to are like this: then they are for thai boxing and are meant to protect the legs and feet of the person wearing them.

I just ordered those for our 14 year old son. Unfortunately, I ordered them in red, which seems to be hard to get. They were for his birthday, September 12th, and they aren’t here yet. I guess I will call them and change the color to black. 🙁

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?