Josh Barnett on his female fighters

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

frankp316
    Post subject: Josh Barnett on his female fighters Post Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:56 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:07 am
    Instructor

Good article! Makes me respect him even more.

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:26 am

Quote:
    With her win over the imposingly large Hiroko, Akano advanced to the Smackgirl open-weight tournament final to face another Barnett product, Ginele Marquez, who defeated Atsuko Emoto by unanimous decision the same evening.

Every time Ginele wins, and angel gets it’s wings.

skiistari
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:57 am

Although Barnett, himself, was fairly articulate (I’ve always liked him), I’m not a fan of the writer and his/her use of certain ways of describing the “products” coming from Barnett’s “stables”. I mean, really?! I’m sure these poor word choices were merely subconscious, but it just goes to show…

Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:21 pm

skiistari wrote:
    Although Barnett, himself, was fairly articulate (I’ve always liked him), I’m not a fan of the writer and his/her use of certain ways of describing the “products” coming from Barnett’s “stables”. I mean, really?! I’m sure these poor word choices were merely subconscious, but it just goes to show…
    Why? Because you find the label “angels of destruction” smile or objectifying? What’s wrong with acknowledging their feminity along with their fighting skills?

warrior14
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:34 pm
    Pro Fighter

“a such and such product” or “stable of fighters” are terms that have been used since the beginning of fight-dom. It’s nothing new and it’s not something they use only for female athletes. It’s no biggie. And “Angels of Destruction” is Josh’s own monicer for us. It rules and I’m proud to be a part of it! Rock on!

oslooskar
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:52 pm

warrior14 wrote:
    “Angels of Destruction” is Josh’s own monicer for us. It rules and I’m proud to be a part of it!
    How about “Amazons of Destructionâ€

Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:21 pm

oslooskar wrote:
    warrior14 wrote:
    “Angels of Destruction” is Josh’s own monicer for us. It rules and I’m proud to be a part of it!

oslooskar
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:07 pm

Sako wrote:
    The word “Amazon” implies female bodybuilder, I’m sure they’re trying to get away from that stereotype.
    Sako, I’m not sure what planet you’ve been living on but here on Earth in the English-speaking world you will find that words do have meaning. In fact, when in doubt, all you need do is consult a dictionary.

AMAZON

Merriam-Webster’s online dictionary: “A member of a race of female warriors of Greek mythology.â€

Josh Barnett
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:07 pm
    Pro Fighter

oslooskar wrote:
    warrior14 wrote:

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:54 pm
    Pro Fighter

It does make me laugh that in a world where female fighters have so many hurdles to overcome, one of the definite “good guys” of our sport (who, incidentally, has done a great deal for the public perception of women’s MMA) is getting shit because of some ridiculous politically correct problem with the term “angels”. See the bigger picture, people 😆

How about focusing on some of the positives in the article? If you want something to throw around for debate, how about the bit where he says that Megumi Fuji is probably the best fighter in the world – male or female. 8)

frankp316
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:51 am

Fujii may be the best. She does things in the ring that you don’t see from anyone else.

oslooskar
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:00 am

Rosi wrote:
    one of the definite “good guys” of our sport (who, incidentally, has done a great deal for the public perception of women’s MMA) is getting shit because of some ridiculous politically correct problem with the term “angels”
    Who is doing that?

Rosi wrote:
    If you want something to throw around for debate, how about the bit where he says that Megumi Fuji is probably the best fighter in the world – male or female.
    That could very well be, though, I must admit, I’m kind of leaning towards Fedor Emelianenko.

Josh Barnett
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:02 am
    Pro Fighter

Rosi wrote:
    It does make me laugh that in a world where female fighters have so many hurdles to overcome, one of the definite “good guys” of our sport (who, incidentally, has done a great deal for the public perception of women’s MMA) is getting shit because of some ridiculous politically correct problem with the term “angels”. See the bigger picture, people 😆

How about focusing on some of the positives in the article? If you want something to throw around for debate, how about the bit where he says that Megumi Fuji is probably the best fighter in the world – male or female. 8)
    YAY! Rosi smile called me a “Good Guy”!

Next she say I’m brilliant!

Tanswell
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:01 am

Josh Barnett wrote:
    YAY! Rosi smile called me a “Good Guy”!
    Don’t worry, Josh, I’ve now convinced her you’re not 😉

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?