Julie kedzie

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

holddown
    Post subject: kedzie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:50 pm

just lost. unanimous decision. didn’t win around. had a huge shiner on her right eye. great fight but she got beat bad.

local13
    Post subject: kedzie v. caranoPostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:54 pm

A very good fight. Carano was simply too strong for Kedzie and her ground defense was better than advertised. I hope this helps establish women’s MMA

Barry

chad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:13 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

Good fight…

Chad

satanico
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:27 pm

Julie is tough but she was in against a bigger, better striker.

MNkkgMMA
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:42 pm
    Pro Fighter

Styles make fights. Julie is a great ground and pound fighter. Gina was just a better stand up fighter, and the three minute rounds are really a cheap way to favor a stand up fighter. It gives the ground fighter too little time to work their magic, that and the 15 second stand up rule.
    I was always under the impression that Julie wasn’t a bjj fighter, that she was a stand up banger, and a ground and pounder. Why did they try to play up her submissions? Did Showtime just feel the need to have multiple styles in the first girl fight?
    Anyway, Good job girls!

Gina’s stand up did look fabulous! She is a very crisp striker.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:59 am
    Pro Fighter

what was the weight difference? I thought Carano was heavy and Julie was 135… I’m asking because I’m interested in fighting Carano and I’m walking around at 132….anywhere I can see this fight???

GringaLoca
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:26 am

Gina weighed in at 141.5. They agreed on 140 for this fight. By fight night, Gina was probably around 150. So, fighting her at 135 – you could do it, but I’m not sure she’d make weight.

On another note – I think the women did an awesome job last night. Gina looked great standing and Julie as always came out fighting hard. I do, however, think Julie was hindered by the whole 3 minute round thing.

Julie – you made me really proud!

MNkkgMMA
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:16 am
    Pro Fighter

I think Gina is a bigger girl trying to fight outside her natural weightclass. If you have missed weight for 50% of your fights, you are probably trying to cut too much, and should be fighting 5-10 pounds heavier.

MNkkgMMA
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:12 am
    Pro Fighter

Where can I get a pair of those pink fight gloves kedzie was wearing in the pre-fight footage?

coslisa
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:14 am
    Pro Fighter

It was a great fight, but any idea why the rounds were only three minutes? Carano looked a lot bigger than Julie.

Lisa_Ward
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:16 pm
    Pro Fighter

Why does Carano keep fighting at “135” when she can’t make weight?

XcashXmoneyX
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:55 pm
    Pro Fighter

that sucks soooooo bad for julie and i totally understand the three minute thing, it sucks.
    i also understand having a monster shiner.
    im proud of julie for stepping up to the plate and i definitely have a new respect for her on the tought factor. shell bounce back.
    the last girl i fought didnt have great technique but she hit like a man and it can really throw you off…youre getting hit hard plus theyre coming from weird angles so its hard to time anything.
    mad props to julie and i hope she doesnt let it set her back.

adriennaaj
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:55 am
    Pro Fighter

Julie had a few really great takedowns, a few off of the clinch- one off of a kick. She was tentative about striking sometimes- she had some really hard hooks. She did well, gina seemed bigger than her in my honest opinion- maybe they had a lb. allowance @ wiegh-ins?. There were a few good shots that julie landed off of the clinch.
    Great job to both ladies!!

SURFINGGRACIE
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:17 am

JULIE KEDZIE WON THE LAST ROUND AND LOOKED TO BE GETTING STRONGER IN THE 3RD ROUND. CARANO IS LUCKY THEY WEREN’T 5 MINUTE ROUNDS, SHE DOESN’T LOOK LIKE SHE FEELS TOO COMFORTABLE ON THE GROUND WHICH WILL BE HER DOWNFALL. IT APPEARS TO ME SHOWTIME WANTS A FEMALE VERSION OF CHUCK LIDDELL.

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:50 am

Someone call Merloes Coenen

scarce
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:04 pm

carano has great stand up/has crisp speedy punches
    carano stole the first round
    but julie should of had it in the third
    ,,i use the north south postion to whoop people
    she discarded the north south for the side
    but once you get side they tie your arms up/
    julie needs to fight from north position
    if she sneakas out so be it/
    you can punish from the north south
    you could elbow her nose easily
    ..just watch her knees dont hit your head
    ,,julie has so many take downs..
    she should have punished her
    instead of trying submission or falling to guard
    at guard,,,carano will just lie there/to not mess up—
    ,,,next fighter needs to tackle punish stand up/repeat/.i rule—-

treelizard
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:26 pm

This video says it all…

Are promoters always this creepy? *shudder*

hanoverfist
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:44 pm

Gina was visably larger than Julie and you could really see Julie struggle in her take down attempts. Once she got Corano down I felt Julie was going to pull it off through gnp or sub. but she just got out muscled. I was impressed by both girls, Julie proves she can take a punch and is very durable and I think she would’ve had her way with someone closer to her weight. Corano has some of the best stand up combos I’ve seen in the womens divisions and yes I do think she might be shaping up to be a Chuck Lidell style of fighter. I do hope Showtime decides to keep both girls around but in seperate weight classes for future fights. Overall the best fight of the night imo.

XcashXmoneyX
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:01 pm
    Pro Fighter

yeah, they really are that creepy…
    jeff (HnS) talks monotone but hes not a creep, and neither is eric from total combat.
    those are the only two i can think of that arent douches.
    especially this guy from showtime…what a dickwad!
    besides that…i wish i could get promoters to pay for me to go to a pro boxing camp…what a bunch of horsesh*t…not to mention all he has to say about julie is that shes tough and cute?
    screw this guy.
    …and is he seriously saying amanda isnt cute enough and is he really implying that shes not a woman? sorry if im getting the wrong interpretation out of this but WTF….
    i think debi could beat her but i dont know if shes big enough seeing as how there have been weight issues…
    so are they only going to feed carano girls that look like barbies so the drunks in the crowd can get a hard-on? this is ridiculous.
    amanda and kelly are the most qualified girls right now to fight carano, if shes supposedly on her way up then she should be fighting whoever is qualified, not whoever the promoter wants to …<insert lewd comment>…to on his computer at 3am.

Kelly
    Amanda
    Tara
    Marloes

Any of those girls are able, and im sure willing.

treelizard
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:24 pm

I thought he said Amanda too but when I replayed it, I think he just said “a man.”

MNkkgMMA
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:09 pm
    Pro Fighter

Actually showtime called us for the fight before they contacted Kedzie, after Gina’s press conference, where she said she’d fight “anyone”.
    She wouldn’t fight me above 135 pounds, which she’s never been able to make for a fight herself. I’m a pretty thick girl, and the cut would have been a hard one, but for this “Chance of a Lifetime” I was all over it. As soon as we agreed to the weight, they wouldn’t take the fight.

XcashXmoneyX
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:54 am
    Pro Fighter

maybe i heard it wrong, i am half deaf. im going to have to listen to it again tomorrow…apologies if it was a mistake.
    the whole thing still infuriates me….
    and how is it that the promoter is paying for her to train?

i think this is a bunch of sh*t, and i really dont think him going on and on about how cute julie was and how cute gina is is doing ANYTHING for the sport. and im not just being a hater because i dont look like a model, it really goes against what i believe needs to happen for the sport as a whole.

i understand what gina is doing from a business standpoint…you have to get what you can when you can…but this guy at least needs coaching on what to say on camera because he made himself look like an idiot.
    dont say youre trying to do womens mma a favor and get exposure and respect for it, and then go on a blatantly chauvenist spiel about how women should LOOK in order to be successful on his show.
    holy double standard!

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:54 am

MNkkgMMA wrote:
    Actually showtime called us for the fight before they contacted Kedzie, after Gina’s press conference, where she said she’d fight “anyone”.
    She wouldn’t fight me above 135 pounds, which she’s never been able to make for a fight herself. I’m a pretty thick girl, and the cut would have been a hard one, but for this “Chance of a Lifetime” I was all over it. As soon as we agreed to the weight, they wouldn’t take the fight.
    This confuses me. Carano reportedly cuts from 155 to 135, and yet, her handlers’ (or herself, the autonomy of fighters is always a question) wouldn’t take the fight above 135? If so, then it becomes a bit clearer why she’s fighting talented but undersized opponents such as Kedzie and smile.

MNkkgMMA
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:05 am
    Pro Fighter

That doesn’t seem like it’ll work for long. 135lbs has the best of the best female fighters. It wont be long before she has to face Debi, Tara, Shayna, AManda, Roxi, D’agust…etc, and then I don’t think her size will help her as much as it has so far

local13
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:10 am

Carano weighed in at about 141.5 for her fight against Kedzie, but some present at the event thought she looked like she was about 150. Kedzie, who weighed in at 137 certainly looked considerably smaller than Carano and I am loathe to believe she was only 4 pounds lighter than her opponent.

Barry

MNkkgMMA
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:30 am
    Pro Fighter

Oh Gina was in the 150’s for sure by the time they entered the cage. Didn’t look like Julie had to cut at all, she was probably walking around 135-140 pounds. That’s not uncommon. Its the whole purpose of cutting weight, to have a size strength advantage over your opponent. That doesn’t bother me at all. But at least MAKE weight, if your going to cut a bunch of weight so you’re the bigger girl, hit your target.

local13
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:36 pm

KK,

I do not doubt what you say about Carano’s weight, but if the weigh in was a day before the fight, it is hard to believe she could pack on at least 10 pounds by the day of the fight. Or perhaps they fudged her weight when they announced she was at 141.5. Carano looked 10-15 pounds heavier than Kedzie.

Again, I agree it does not detract from Carano’s performance, but it would seem fairer for her to fight someone closer to her weight, or for her to actually be forced to make the weight, or for her to fight one of the top contenders you mentioned who would not be at a disadvantage against Carano because of their skill level and experience.

Barry

MNkkgMMA
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:19 pm
    Pro Fighter

If you have a hard time beleiving that, then you may not know very much about cutting weight.
    Yes you can manipulate your body’s weight with dehydration. And yes you can sweat, dehydrate off 10-15 pounds, and rehydrate the majority of it in 24hours.
    Look at Joe Riggs- he does it every ufc, he has to cut 20-25 pounds each time, and when he steps into the cage to fight at 170 pounds, he weighs almost 200 pounds.

local13
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:28 pm

KK,

I do not claim to know much about cutting weight and will accept what you said as true. However, it all seems a bit theatrical and unfair for a competitor to do this, as there can obviously be a large disparity in the relative weights of the combatants. However, if the promoters truly wanted to have fighters competing in matches against opponents of near equal weight, they could simply require the weigh in be only a few hours before the event. By not doing so, they are tacidly, if not overtly encouraging larger fighters to have an advantage over smaller foes.

Barry

hanoverfist
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:40 pm

I think that Julie and Debi know the fight game well enough to understand the risks going into that fight, every manager will try to do what they can for their fighter to give them the best chance at winning weather it be the size of the gloves, the hometown advantage, judging and yes agreed fight weight. They had to know that Julie would be much smaller than Gina just by going by their walkaround weight but Julie is known for being really strong for her size and maybe they thought the weight disadvantage wouldn’t pose such a problem. The fact that Gina couldn’t make the weight is actually disrespectful and a breach of contract unless otherwise agreed on by Julies people. I think that for the sake of promotion Debi and Julie agreed to fight with the disadvantage. Anyway, Ginas manager along with showtime and her daddies name are in fact trying to build a franchise in Gina, it’s just good bussiness sense to start out safe with calculated risks( like Julie). They played it right. When they get the money flowing and the Showtime execs smiling then I can see them finally putting it on the line with the likes of Amanda, Tara and the lot. I don’t think that Gina is dodging anyone I think it’s her management making bussiness decisions. Like Tony Montana says…first you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the women.

MNkkgMMA
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:47 pm
    Pro Fighter

There in lies the heart of my anti-cutting argument. I personally do not do it. I fight with in 5 pounds of my walking around weight, which is why my fights are all at scattered weights ranging any where from 135-160 pounds. I think weight cutting is bad for the fighters. It’s not healthy, and typically, especially for the males, it’s useless. Most of the time both opponents cut a ton of weight, then have to rehydrate and end up fighting about the same size anyway. So why wouldn’t they just fight heavier? Seems like a logical question, but it all seems to go back to trying to get the upperhand. There are some fighters out there male and female who don’t cut, and they seem to get shafted. Some who come to mind are Roxi moderaffi (sp?),Nick Diaz, Kenny Florian, and molly Helsel (I do stress that I have no fisrt hand knowledge of any of these fighters pre-fight weights, and am simply speculating)And these fighters always seem to fight people who have a good 10-20 pounds on them. I have no suggestions or pretend to have any solutions to the problem. All I know is that in Twentyyears my dotor isn’t gonna look at me and say-” Wow, you shouldn’t have cutt all that weight, now you are at higher risk for strokes and heart attacks, or what ever”. Im not a doctor either lol.

mindfull
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:06 pm

Quote:
    I think weight cutting is bad for the fighters. It’s not healthy, and typically, especially for the males, it’s useless.

Most top level fighters cut weight before they fight. For example, GSP and Matt Hughes walk around 190lbs and cut weight to fight at 170. That gives them noticeable size and strength advantage over their opponents, which is needed especially if the skill level is close.

XcashXmoneyX
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:24 pm
    Pro Fighter

if youre good at cutting weight, you can easily be 12-12lbs heavier the next day. kelly is right, its no secret people are not the weight theyre supposed to be on the day of the fight….in most cases.

Seth
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:38 pm

15 second standup on the ground.. . that’s more stringent than the Japanese group’s fight rules for ground action.

Thinking of the top mma fighters who have competeted with success in a number of no-gi tourneys: Roxy. Amanda, Tara, Laura D, Erica, the Japanese fighter who fought Erica at Hook plus all the Japanese gals who competed at ADCC, the Brazilians who have transitioned into mma and maybe Kelly, Lisa W, Erin, Shayna, Marloes and Rosi.

The experience certainly helps given the difficulty in getting good mma fights thouogh there are good fighters who have never competed in grappling. A good number of the above probably have a purple belt or above in BJJ.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:59 pm
    Instructor

Quote:
    15 second standup on the ground.. . that’s more stringent than the Japanese group’s fight rules for ground action.
    Correct me if I’m wrong here, but isn’t it a 15 second inactivity rule? If, after 15 seconds, neither fighter has attempted to advance the situation they will be stood back up. Unlike in Smackgirl where it is 30 seconds on the ground no matter what, even if you have a sumbission locked in and are just waiting for the tap.

satanico
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:59 am

Rikki wrote:
    Quote:
    Correct me if I’m wrong here, but isn’t it a 15 second inactivity rule? If, after 15 seconds, neither fighter has attempted to advance the situation they will be stood back up. Unlike in Smackgirl where it is 30 seconds on the ground no matter what, even if you have a sumbission locked in and are just waiting for the tap.
    Smackgirl doesn’t always have that rule now as they do no time limit ground fights and Elite XC has that inactivity clock but it’s hard to tell what they mean.

Renzo got a takedown to half-guard at 4:20, sidemount at 4:00 the Ref warned “let’s work” at 3:30 and Renzo advanced to knee on belly at 3:24 back to sidemount at 3:07 Stand-up warning graphic at 2:44 then Renzo back to knee on belly yet a whistle and break at 2:35.

Is side-control to knee on belly not enough to prevent the warning clock? Frank was striking from bottom and Renzo was changing positions. There was activity.

Renzo takedown to half-guard at 1:42. Gets side control at :57 knee on belly at :26 to end of round without a stand-up.

MNkkgMMA
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:17 pm
    Pro Fighter

All at the discretion of the ref….. when the ref decides there is inactivity.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?