Kinds of grapplers:)

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

ABScene
    Post subject: Kinds of grapplers:)PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 6:23 pm

There are many different kinds of grapplers/fighters today. I think I’ve rolled with every one of these. Do you know any of these guys/girls?

The Vice:

This guy knows little ground skills, so is afraid to roll around in case he is submitted. So the best thing for him to do is hang on for dear life. Normally around your neck and he will not let go until he is blue in the face.

The Stretcher :

This guy is seen warming up before practice much longer than anyone else. He feels insecure, so has to look as though he is stretching or warming up for his long training session ahead. Only trouble is, he warms up for 1 hour of his 1 hour 30 minute session.

The Adjuster:

This guy rolls around with you, but when getting tired or getting into trouble, he stops to adjust his knee wraps or gloves. He also has a great favorite of rolling off the mat when on the bottom position.

The Bodybuilder:

This guy loves to roll with smaller guy’s because he can bench press them from the mount and have his way with them. He uses pure strength instead of technique. He also taps to submissions that are hardly on because of his lack of flexibility.

The Ego:

This guy will only roll with guy’s he know he can beat. He will never roll with a guy that gives him trouble because it looks bad for him. He also applies the submissions too hard, hurting his partner.

The Phsyco:

This guy will roll with anyone and goes full steam ahead all the time. He has one speed and that’s GO. He never taps out unless you break his arm and would rather you choked him unconscious than make him tap out.

The Weight-man:

This guy will never roll with a heavy guy because of the weight difference. If someone is not in their weight class, then he cannot roll with them. Even if it is only a 5lb difference.

The Fulton:

This guy will fight anyone, anywhere, anytime. He has had more fights than anyone else in the club. Money does not matter to him — if it’s a fight, then he’ll fight.

The Jack of all trades:

This guy has been to every MMA school known to man. He has trained with the best and studied over 15 martial arts. Only problem is, he has he is a Jack of all trades, but a master of none.

Lil Katai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:01 pm
    Pro Fighter

Im the The Fulton

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:20 am

Yeah, except for this part… “has had more fights than anyone else in the club” 😛
    The Vice…hahaha
    that is a good one. I’ve seen many of them.
    Hmm… dunno where I fit. I like to “play” when I’m grappling. I don’t really go for submissions really often. I’m not really satisfied with doing a plan-vanilla armbar or guillotine or what-not. I’m much more proud of myself is I just off-balance someone. Sometimes I’ll get into armbar position and just let it go because, well…that is boring. Hmm… I also put a lot of effort into grappling defense since most of the people that I grapple with are MUCH more aggressive than I am. Therefore, I’m frustrating to a lot of grapplers, especially the stronger guys. The more I defend and appear to just “lay there” the more they get REALLY anxious to tap me out. Every once in a while, I’ll turn it up and be aggressive too, if that is the focus of my training…but that is rare. Mostly, I’m pretty subdued when grappling.

When I focus on standup wrestling, I turn it up and get aggressive. But with groundfighting, I tend to relax a lot.

Is there a name for that description?

ABScene
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:50 pm

Yes “The Vice” is definitely a popular one. In the past, I would get partnered up with beginner guys who would be damned if they were going to get tapped out by a little girl. Sooo… they would grab my head and proceed to try and rip it off of my body. Many times I got hurt by trying to escape from these determined guys, so rather than trying to escape, I just tapped. Now, I make sure I tap them out numerous times early on so they understand that they cannot just rely on their strength to get submissions. We also have some bigger guys in the class that are pretty good so when we get a new beginner guy in the class who thinks he can just use his strength, he usually gets partnered up with one of these more experienced guys.

I probably fit into “The Fulton” category although fighting “anytime” and “anywhere” is a little difficult. I DO have more fights under me than anyone else in the club but that’s only because we don’t have many people who like to compete.

I have learned to relax while rolling with others and am not afraid to tap. In fact, I have been tapping even when I get “caught” in a potential submission rather than fighting out of it as I want to work on NOT getting caught in the first place (something I learned at a training camp in Oregon). When I am with people who are less skilled than I am, I try to work techniques that I would not normally get a chance to work on. I usually end up in a bad position but then at least I get some practice escaping these bad positions.

Lil Katai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:05 pm
    Pro Fighter

If anything, I deffenitly play possium when I grapple. Im kinda the same way as KO2 all but the fact that I will settle with a basic move if it is there to finish with. Everyone knows that I am the qween of the gil choke. I think I like most is everyone I train with knows I can hit it at any given time and from multipule postions and they say, “your not going to get it on me today”. And what happens?? BAM, BAM, BAM ….. I hit it three times in a row just cause he opened him mouth ….. I had to prove him wrong.

lol, gosh, I love beeing a sneek! 😛

ABScene
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 4:21 am

Ahhh… yes, we have a guy at our school who is really into knee bars. Whenever I roll with him, I just know he is going to go for a knee bar so I try to fight like mad so he doesn’t get it but then… BOOM, KNEE BAR!! VERY FRUSTRATING! Now… he does have about 40lbs on me but he really tries to not use his strength and I’ve seen him get knee bars on bigger guys too.
    Rebecca

scarce
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:21 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

…well…..i am the street king…of reverse chokes………..////////……if ya want…….the best revcerse style……just drop a dime///////email///////omenofsins99@hotmail.com/////////////////i am a street professional////

Lil Katai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:37 pm
    Pro Fighter

Yeah, Im about 40-70 pounds LIGHTER than the guys I train with and still hit it on them. AND they use all their strength lol. Poor guys ……. 😛

ABScene
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:23 pm

Cool…

Your skills must be very good to be able to defeat a bigger/stronger opponent. Unfortunately, MY skills are not quite good enough to be able to do that (only with beginner guys). I am not a very strong individual so I totally have to rely on technique. My husband (instructor) keeps telling me that my skills are very good but it’s hard for me to tell when I roll with the girls (who I totally dominate) and the guys (who either squish me or they go so light that I can’t tell if I am really doing well or if they are just going so light that I am able to escape and move to dominate positions)

Guess I’ll just have to train harder! 😀

HAMA_Head
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:59 pm

i don’t really think any of those apply. closest is fulton but’s the only one that isn’t 80% insulting. being 140 i have no choice in terms of who i roll with. and i enjoy grappling, regardless of who ” wins “. i have rolled with a female 3 times, and been submitted 3 times. some of the guys said they would rather lose to a guy with no arms than a woman, but i don’t see too great a difference between men and women when rolling. isn’t that what BJJ is about, equalizing? well, one difference is i am a bit more clumsy because i am trying not to touch certain parts of the body. i can’t focus the same. but truth is she would have beaten me anyway. i am learning from her though. and it is my goal to sumit her. not because she’s a woman, because she’s a blue belt.

any other ” types ” that are more complimentary?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?