knee injury / upcoming fight advice

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

meltdawn
    Post subject: knee injury / upcoming fight advice Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:49 am

i am looking at fighting my first sanshou-rules match in May, approximately 5 months from now. in august last year – 5 months ago – i sprained my medial collateral ligament and tore my meniscus in training. i’ve never had this serious of an injury before. i feel like it’s at 90% recovery now, so i’ve started working it. but i still tweak it during training sometimes which kills. i am thinking now that my biggest obstacle is mental, since i am so afraid to test it.

how can i get past this mental block?

will this type of injury truly heal / get strong enough to train well within the next 5 months?

thanks, chicas.

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:50 pm
    Pro Fighter

see a good physical therapist who understands what you need to be able to do

then rehab, rehab and more rehab – boring but essential

meltdawn
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:29 am

thanks, Rosi!

i do have a great doc, and you just reminded me… i need to trust him! i’ve been doing all the rehab, and last night i grappled for the first time, and hey, you know what, i didn’t die. lol.

XcashXmoneyX
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:02 pm
    Pro Fighter

i tore all kinds of stuff in my left knee including the cartilage covering my tibia and my lateral meniscus. i have no medial collateral ligament in my right knee.

i had my left knee “scoped” and it is nearly 100%. i was back on the mat rolling lightly with a brace (no rolling with white belts!!!!) after a week and a half but pivoting when i did standup came a little later. i didnt have anything done to my mcl in my right knee and its fine. generally theres nothing they can do for that.

im thrilled with my surgery but i have heard horror stories. physical therapy is usually really helpful especially since you “baby” your knee and the muscles that support it become weak after an injury. see a reputable surgeon and see what he says, as its never good to rush into fighting with injuries. it sucks, believe me.

meltdawn
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:36 am

wow, cash, thanks for the encouraging story. i have been terrified of surgery. i feel like i only have one leg, so not sure if i could avoid that option, but we’ll see!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?