lifting weights and training

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Rox21
    Post subject: lifting weights and trainingPostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:24 am
    Pro Fighter

So my coach says that lifting weights helps strengthen joints, small ligaments and other small muscles, and helps prevent injuries. It also builds strength, but to my surprise, he said that it doesn’t necessarily help you build strength for competitions (unless you’re trying to muscle stuff like push a submission or whatnot). And it doesn’t add power to punching (which is what I was trying to do LOL). I hate lifting. I HATE it. It’s boring, but I started doing it again after Hooknshoot because I want to get stronger and improve my game. A fellow fighter even told me that lifting too much can get in the way of your NHB training. hmm…i dunno, I think that it can add power to a degree. Then I read an interview with Fedor when he says that he doesn’t lift, and that just training is the best strengthener (is that a word?) that one can do, so just train hard. That’s what I’ve been doing…anybody have any opinions? Anybody lift?

tapoutuk
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:18 am

lifting isn’t great for grappling comps as it tightens the muscles, when I trained with a Barra club they told me to stop doing them.

I now do bodyweight exercises along with my bagwork to build up strength.

Bodyweight exercises are things like press ups, chin ups etc that you always see. Also lie on the floor face down, rest on your forearms and then lift your body up so that all your weight is rested on your forearms and your toes, keep your back straight and your backside down and see how long you can manage, 2-3 minutes really puts power in your arms and doesn’t affect elasticity. Try finding some details of what the Olympic gymnasts do as they do BW exercises only as they don’t want bulk just lean.

XcashXmoneyX
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:12 am
    Pro Fighter

i think this is a good question because its something i would like to know more about.
    i noticed that after switching schools and grappling really hard with rough people, and boxing/holding thai pads, my arms and shoulders have put on some mass and really toned up, but i still lift some. my trainer has encouraged me to lift and get stronger because sometimes in class i will nail a good position or submission and get pried off by some of the guys…i just cant hang onto them even with all my weight pressed down.
    ive also noticed, though, that some of the guys who lift religiously and are pretty big are kind of “musclebound”, meaning they lack flexibility and arent very fast.
    jorge said it is most important to work your core and legs, especially for grappling, and he makes use of a lot of bodyweight calesthenics/plyogenics. so, thats what ive been focusing the most attention on, and ive seen some improvement in my training…or is it because im just getting off the plateau?
    this is an interesting subject because there are a lot of opinions about it and interesting points to keep in mind. id like to hear whatever people have to offer because im new to this as well.
    thanks, rox!

Lil Katai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:45 pm
    Pro Fighter

Ive been lifting since I was 17. After I leave the gym I feel pumped and refreshed that I got in a good workout. I like lifting because for me it shous improvement in my development.

HOWEVER ….. since I have been on an actual weight training schedule with my trainers, I have lost a lot of speed and flexability. Which sucks.

Weights to make you stronger but core building exercixes are best. I just cant put the weights down.

fightermnb
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:07 am

I love lifting so I’m biased, but I like the all arround approach, basic liftiting movments that work as much of the body as a unit as possible ie olypic lifts (squats, deadlifts, snatches, and cleans) bodyweight exercises (pushups, pullups, bw squats, mountain climbers, burpees etc) medicine ball work, bag work, powerbands, jumprope, and my favorite sparring and rolling. Most peoples basic understanding of lifting is wrong because they’re doing it to look like some covermodel and unfortunatly that carries over into MA training. My suggestion is to look for sport specific exercises to enhance your preexisting game. Almost every other athlete lifts, basketball, football, and even baseball, because while bodyweight excersie build tons of endurance, they make it harder to increase your max strength which everyone resorts to (clinching a opponent, standing in someones guard, suplexs or pushing someone into the ropes/cage).
    I suggest taking a look at these a GREAT blend of bodyweight excercises and weight bearing.

John Davies renegade training has helped keep me ahead of the game for the past 2 years (which has saved me cause i’ve been working like a madman, and usually only I get about 2 weeks of decent training before, at least for the last 4)

Anyway just a suggestion

PS

punching power comes mainly from proper techinique like anything else. A good punch starts in the legs (think a slight squat postion) and the energy/inertia should travel up your back and into shoulders and out through your fist. Most of the power comes from the legs about 80% of a good punch. For a good example look at how Fedor, and Vovchachin punch, looks sloopy but they throw the kitchen sink into it

Lil Katai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:44 am
    Pro Fighter

Very very good post!

fightermnb
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:14 am

Gracias 😀

I came back to ammend my PS

anway,

start with your feet shoulder width or slightly wider
    the power chain for the punch should start with the legs slightly bent, then straighten them about 2 inches, to generate power (great way to develop this is to do bw jump squats from a 3/4 squat position, and to do weighted squats from the same 3/4 position) then pivot the hip (one of the main reasons you should always be on your toes. A hip pivot ads power to ANY strike) as you pivot extend your lat for maximum reach and let the generated energy explode from your hand. Think of how you would throw a shot put. A good way to test this is to throw a medicine ball using the same formula, or just a basketball @ a wall and see what kind of rebound it gets (when it bounces back be ready to move, or block especially if u did it right 😉 )

oh and if u don’t like weight try power bands, I train under Erik Paulson and some of his affiliates and powerbands are SWEET.

Erik has a great VT condtiioning vidieo showing a lot of sport specific drills for them
    punches, kicks, knees, shoots, sprawls, and guard passes

Erikpauslon.com

if you get the bands make sure you get the belt 😉

the tote gym is all you need but for some more is better

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:38 am
    Instructor

Body weight exercises seem to be what the grapplers in Lexington are mainly doing. We have a Sand Bag training video for sale, which is pretty popular here. I personally don’t do it…..I’m just too lazy….but if I were going to, SBT is what I’d do.

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:03 am

lol i look at all these things and think “Wow that’d be great to have at home…” except i live in an apartment… oh well, at least my apt complex has a gym.

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:25 am
    Fightergirls Pro Fight Team

Great questions.
    Personally I have been lifting for years and think it has helped my game TREMENDOUSLY> On the ground (wrestling) transition) and with power punching and kicking.
    I was a competitive gymnast when I was younger and because I always stretch and am still super crazy flexible. I know they say it ruins your flexibility. But to this day it has never ruined mine. So I can only speak for myself.

I also believe that strength training for grappling only ruins you. if you depend on it to NOT improve your skill.

Sometimes you WANT to muscle out of a position and there is nothing wrong with that. If you have two grapplers with the *exact* same skill level. and one has a lot more strength. the one with more strength has more weapons and has a better chance for the W. I say exact because I am not promoting the muscle head way of grappling LOL. however there is a LOT of benefits to being STRONG in the MMA world. I think having skill is first and foremost important, but having the strength to back it up will improve your game.

Wrestlers lift because it helps improve their core base ( core lifts) personally I think this kind of lifting helps in MMA. and I love it.

For stand up. I prefer plyo metric liftting to increase speed and power. It increases muscle reaction times.

I have changed my routine to using plyos a few days a week and switching back and fourth with core lifting, but GONE are the days of the OLD body builder routine,

I do not think lifting helps strengthen ligaments at least according to my orthopedic surgeon who had given me 3 new knee ligaments however, increasing the muscle strength around the ligaments are said to help save some ligaments., Also for those of you who do not know about ACL tears (knee injuries) I have had 5 knee surgeries 3 of them acl reconstruction. And will tell you, that it is documented that WOMEN are 5 times more prone to this injury then men. (especialy in this sport.

They say it has something to do with the way our hips are built and also not having strong enough muscles around the ligament to support the tears. I tore my knee mostly because I would wrestle live with 200 plus men. Not because my legs were not strong. It is just that my 135 body cannot take that kind of impact when I sprawl under a 200 plus men. I have learned a LOT since then and will roll or stand up spar with the big guys but will now ONLY *drill* wrestling with them and wrestle live with people my own size. /

I am posting an article I did for this fitness mag a few years ago. I have learned some new things since then. I know this is a LONG post, and I am not trying to suggest I know everything. But hope some of my trials successes and errors will help you ladies.

Last edited by debi on Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:36 am

Explain your weekly routine:

I lift weights 3 to 4 times a week. Doing each body part at least once, and always switching up my routine. I usually break it up doing back and shoulders, one day, Biceps and chest, and then triceps and Legs. I work my ABS once a day (skip Sunday) and try to do calf work at least a few times a week. I do not lift very heavy weights any more. And tend to try to circuit train as much as possible. I also do plyo metric training with weights on top of my regular weight-training program a few times a week, which allows me to target important body parts that I use for fighting. Such as shoulders, back and legs. I am very fond of *cleans* and jumps, and. Every so often I will go for *heavy* lifts to try to peak at a certain weight.

Explain your philosophy on strength building for MMA fighters:
    I believe that lifting weights is a KEY factor is fight training, as strength is so important for us. What I am learning through my years of lifting is that THE way you lift is the most important thing; I think too many fighters make the mistake of bodybuilding instead of strength training, especially when it comes to lifting weights. For years I did the typical body builder routine, and although it gave me a strong foundation to start with and a certain physic I am proud of, It is not conducive to my fighting to lift that way, Bulk muscle is not as useful to fighters as the explosive lean muscle mass used for fighting. Tearing down muscle tissue, and not having time to let it heal properly obviously has negative effects, as fighters this causes a problem, Because we use some of those same muscles in our every day fight training. And it could lead to a greater chance of injury for us. Another key factor in strength training for fighting is *flexibility, One must keep this in mind when they decide on a lifting program, as flexibility it’s SO important for us in this sport. I learned years ago with my gymnastic training that strength training and flexibility can go hand in hand, and For fighting the muscles MUST be pliable, so I stretch in between sets, before, after, as MUCH as I can. Any chance I get. I am emphatic about it for me moving and stay warm is the key. . This will also help keep injuries down. It is much harder to keep the body flexible with bulk muscle mass. And one should take this into consideration before they add lifting heavy weights to their repertoire. The biggest mistake I make when training, has to do with my own vanity, I will sometimes lift more then I should because I know it will give me a certain look that I like to have. I think it’s important to remember why you are lifting weights. Is it for your looks or for your sports performance? Me personally, I do it for both, and that works for me. However I am very aware that just because a fighter has *large* muscles and a certain physic, does not necessarily mean they are training the best way for MMA, keep in mind the bigger and buffer those muscles are the more energy and oxygen they are going to need during your fight, and in a sport where having good wind is worth more then gold this really is an aspect one must pay attention too. Also those *big* muscles are not going to relax easy on you either, and when they are getting pounded on or being used during your fight you might be more prone to injury. Last year I spent my time training without heavy weights, and focused a lot more on my fight training and plyo’s, I was amazed that when I went back to trying to lift heavy, I could actually lift more weight then I had been able too before. IN truth I am not 100% sure why, it is just something that happened that I wanted to share Lastly, remember that every “body” is different; I suggest trying to diversify your routine often to see how YOUR body reacts and what gives YOU the best results, ultimately let your body be the judge of what works, and what does not, and perhaps someday you will have a nice body like me (Laugh) Just seeing if your paying attention. 😉

Do you change up your routine when you are training for a fight:
    Yes, absolutely about a month prior I cut lifting down to only doing plyo metric lifting, and a few weeks before cut it out completely, I do this mainly because The training gets so intense my body would not have time to recover properly If I did not discard it from my regular lifting program.

How long have you been weight training?
    I started really getting into lifting when I was 16. Prior to that I did gymnastics and danced so I have been doing some form of strength training from the time I was about 6 years old.

What got you into weight training?
    From early child hood I understood the benefits of being strong for a sport. And I love pushing my body it to its limit. That, and when I went to my first actual lifting gym, there was a woman in there who had a really cool looking body in my opinion. I started to ask her questions, she gave me some tips and from there I was hooked.

Who do you see as a role model in weight training and bodybuilding?
    I still adore the way Cory Everson looks; her and Rachel Mclish have always been my favorite. Perhaps because they brought bodybuilding to the public eye for females. I also have learned a lot from my good friend Chuck Williams who is a personal trainer and ex competitive body builder, and still am amazed at how much my coach Marco Ruas knows and teaches me about strength training for fighting

A quick note to all the females out there. Lifting weights *will* improve your strength and sports performance. If you get frustrated at not being able to lift much at first, just remember that as with anything it takes time and patience. so KEEP at it.

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:45 am

Fighter MNB
    I used to train with Erik, we both had the same boxing coach, and would roll and lift togther after boxing sometimes.. that man has some serious knowledge about stregnth training for MMA,

I was suprised as you would not know it from looking at him. but spar with him and you can tell 😆

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:29 am

Thank you Debi for the info about the knee injuries- I’d like to avoid any huge amount of downtime from training. 🙂 It’s good to know our “limitations” as females- just so that we can find ways around them 🙂

XcashXmoneyX
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:41 pm
    Pro Fighter

Debi pretty much echoed what my trainer preaches to all of us.
    As far as the knee injuries go, I know all about those. Both my ACL’s are stretched out but the ortho has decided to leave them alone because I have been getting some good results with strengthening the supporting muscles and ligaments around my knee. I had knee surgery in September that prevented me from fighting on the Evolution show, but with all the tears cleaned up, the loose bodies out, and the adhesions removed, I feel SO MUCH BETTER. Moral of the story: don’t put off injuries, fib to your trainer about them, and keep on training harder. It’ll bite you in the ass.
    And about training with guys that outweigh you by 70 or more pounds…exactly right. You can have all the heart in the world and awesome technique, but that doesnt make your bones or connective tissues any stronger. Now there are just a few guys that I just decided I won’t roll with – I’m done with cracked ribs and the like. Usually you run into those problems with whitebelts, I think. There are guys I roll with some that are 100 pounds heavier than me but I never feel stuff cracking and popping when I roll with them because they’re experienced…purple and brown belts.
    Rox, my only advice for obtaining punching power is to do what I’ve been doing….stop everything and take it back to the very basics, from your stance, to getting inside with your jab using footwork, learning not to be stationary, and good old 1-2, 1-2-3, etc combos. It’s helping me a LOT just focusing on the basics and keeping my elbows in, etc. Getting some technique and flow I think really helps with your speed and power. My standup still SUCKS but I have been seeing a lot of improvements.
    Debi, thanks for posting that info, I think I’ll print it so I can work some of that stuff into my routine. Isn’t this a nice, drama-free post?
    -Kellyn

JulesK
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:25 pm
    Pro Fighter

I LOVE ERIK PAULSON!!!!!

One of the best instructors in the world!!!!!

(I guess that was a little off-topic…sorry 😳 )

😉 Jules

fightermnb
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:51 pm

true but when you’re right you’re right

last time I trained with him was a few months ago and he showed me a way to apply the wing chung deflections to actually sparring and fighting. It blew my mind since I had given up on the Jun Fan stuff and stick with tried and true boxing, MT, and Savate for my standup.

He truly has a SICK ammount of knowledge

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:28 pm

Checked out his website earlier, couldn’t access “shop” to check out the stuff y’all were talking about.

Lil Katai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:20 pm
    Pro Fighter

Damn, thats all way to much for me to read. You people are in here writting novels! Slow down ……….

*wheres the pictures ❓ * 😥

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:36 pm

(laughs at Lil Katai)

I agree! We want pictures! 😆

I was thinking, ‘Great post…’ and then my attention trailed off towards the end… like, “Well I’ll read the other half tomorrow.” Haha. 😆

fightermnb
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:40 pm

Hey I’m just trying to share some HARD earned lessons/stay awake @ work.

Oh and the pics are on the link I posted 😛 , and Debs are so long cause she copy and pasted (and boy did her old workout remind me of mine)

Lil Katai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:01 pm
    Pro Fighter

Yeah, Im sitting here trying to stay away at work too but reading always puts me to sleep. I learn better from visuals …….

fightermnb
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:11 pm

hit the links 😉

just go to t-mag.com and hit the search option @ the top and do a “site search” and type in the word “renegade” anything article that’s by coach John Davies or Charles Poloquin is BEYOND sweet. The differenc between their weight traiining is the difference between Muay Thai and so called full contact kickboxing

Lil Katai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:20 pm
    Pro Fighter

Good deal

What time is it where your at? Its 0122am here

fightermnb
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:21 pm

1:23 here 🙂

Northern VA

Lil Katai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:38 pm
    Pro Fighter

Detroit for me

fightermnb
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:44 pm

I know 😀

I tried to I’m you through yahoo lite but it got crappy so instead i read your webpage instead

Sorry to hear about your dog, I’ve been there more than a few times 🙁

Lil Katai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:57 pm
    Pro Fighter

What name did you try IMing me with? (Your SN name).

Im thinking about pulling that site off the web here shortly. I will have my fighters site up real soon and I think I will just stick with that one.

fightermnb
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:04 pm

fighter_m_n_b

I think it’s a combination of a few things, my work computer, the fact you’re not on my friends list already, and that I’m using web messenger.

hit me up if you’re bored i’ve got another 5 hours before to leave

yay 13 hour shifts 😕

Lil Katai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:39 pm
    Pro Fighter

I cant get the Yahoo to work on this computer for some reason. I have another 3.5 hours to go ……… but you wont believe how long that 3.5 hours is …….. ugh! I was thinking about working another shift so that would make it 16 hours for me but Im already draggin and need to sleep and train tomorrow …..

So I go on my lunch about an hour ago right ……. walk down to reg where some of my friends work and what are they watching??? smile. Not just light smile like when they were watching “girls gone wild” last night … no, this is hard core professional smile. Im sitting down there TRYING to eat but it wasnt working. Even one of the other gyus was getting grossed out lol …… Ah, the life of working as a cop. Drinking on the job and watching smile ……. and getting paid for it! 🙄

fightermnb
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:52 pm

could be worse, my friend went out with a female friend fo his to a gay strip joint

me and the other guys never understood why he went but the story is funny. Anyway as soon as he walks in he see’s 5 tv’s with what he described as “every kind of gay smile imaginable”, him, his frineds boyfriend and another guy who went along with his girlfriend all leave and go to 7-11 they come back about a hour later and every decides my buddy needs a table dance so they tackle him, hold him down and then the dancer proceeds to shake his “cash and prizes” about 3 inches from his face lol

If you new the guy it would be even funnier, he’s the odd goofy, giggly type. Kind of like a big pilsberry doughboy.

fightermnb
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:37 am

so where in the protect and serve is that lol

I personaly would have responded 1 of 2 ways tot he smile

either

I know her, she’s a bitch, she gave my (inster std or crabs)

or

I know him (referencing the woman), damn they can do anything now a days. hmmm (continue eating)

Lil Katai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:44 am
    Pro Fighter

lol thats a funny ass story about your friend!

fightermnb
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:47 am

He’s special, whenever he’s scared, intimidated or talking to a girl he likes he just starts giggling like the pilsberry dough boy. lol Plus only guy I know who’s in a acapello group. He showed me a pic of his group and I said they look gay and he said 2 of the 3 other guys where, so I of course laughed harder lol.

fightermnb
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:24 am

To make up for the rambling before I go home

Enjoy

Biomechanics Strength Laboratory
    A GREAT site complete with video clips of all the fundimental exercise and a easy to use interface

Body by Fish – Workouts
    For those looking for great bodyweight exercises

Pain in the Mass Ten Most Common Causes of Training Injury

Real Abs Classical Core Conditioning

Renegade Training
    The article that hooked me from the beginining

The Top Nine Exercises for Functional Strength

The Diet Manifesto
    If you want to get bigger or smaller this is what u’ve got to read

Squat 900 Pounds 10 surefire ways to help you squat BIG
    MUST READ FOR EVERYONE

resonant evil
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:45 pm

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?