Losing weight to fight..

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

dl_angel
    Post subject: Losing weight to fight…PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:30 pm

I find myself less than eager to fight at my current weight (150) and I’m curious as to how women cut weight most effectively. I have seen posts about it by men, but I wasn’t sure how applicable it is for women. Any advice?

Report this post Post details Warn user Delete post
    Top E-mail Edit post Reply with quote

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:55 pm
    Pro Fighter

Ha!
    Cutting is fun. (not) I guess it depends on how much fat you think you can safely lose, and how much time is left until the competition. I have my ‘semi cutting weight’ diet and my ‘suck weight’ diet.

in the ‘sort of diet’ diet, I cut back on fried stuff, and other unhealthy food and only have like one or two desert items a week. I also eat less quantity wise, and try plan stuff around what I’m going to be doing. Like in the morning if I’m just going to class I eat light, and not a ton of carbs, but at night before workout I eat more carbs and lots of veggies to fill me up.

for the ‘suck weight’ diet, that usually starts for me two weeks before a tournament when i freak out that I’m like 5 or 6 or so lbs (of fat, not water) over my desired weight. Then I go half vegetarian by cutting out like half the meat I eat and substitute them with tons of tofu, a tad bit of nuts, egg white and fat free or low fat turkey cold cuts for protein. I also start carrying fruit with me everywhere I go because I get bouts of “oh man I’m STARVING” because the body craves fat.

That and not eating after a workout. Going to bed hungry always lets me shed weight really fast, but like 5 minutes after I wake up I practically sprint to get food.

Then after the tourney you binge. just for a while…like this evening I had like 4 pieces of chocolate cake and a dish of ice cream. 🙁 but I think the most important thing is to find healthy foods that are delicious. 🙂 Like I discovered that if I have plain firm tofu, plus fresh cucumbers, tons and tons of little bean sprouts, and egg white I sprinkle salt all over them, it’s the best thing ever. 😀 I have the weirdest food combinations now adays. LOL My mom is obsessed with nutrition so has tried to drill into my head all the good nutrients that all the foods have. You also have to have a grasp on that stuff to diet successfully. Or ask other people. I guess I’m no expert, but I feel like it sometimes.

The only other thing I want to say is that sometimes I get nuerotic about food now….I used to be able to eat normally and restrain myself, but now it’s like all or nothing. If there’s a tournament, I see fried chicken and think “this sucks…I can’t have even a bite! 🙁 *sad*” and if there’s no tournament I think “I CAN HAVE IT ALL *Scarf scarf*”

🙂 oh well! If you want to keep the weight off permanently, try adjusting your diet and trying new food combinations. I only get weird and binge right after the ‘suck weight diet’, not always. 😀

Anthea
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:06 pm
    Pro Fighter

Yeah that’s pretty much what i do too- cut down on the bad stuff and carbs and drink heaps of water and load up on the vegies and fruit.

I’m glad someone else out there is a between fight binge eater too! It’s funny how when you’re training hard and cutting your diet back you have all these cravings for fat fat fat sweet sweet food and then once the fight’s over even though you don’t really feel like the bad food anymore you feel that you owe it to yourself to eat up large just because you can!

On a slightly different topic (but still related enough to slip in here) I just want to have a wee moan about how in weight related sports like Muay Thai etc no one is really self conscious about weight- it’s more like asking someone their height, no biggie, and if someone puts on a few kgs then you have a laugh etc and tell them to stop eating all the pies. But then you go out in the real world and happen to mention to a co-worker how you’re cutting back on the bad stuff in prep for a fight and you get the whole third degree with the “you dont’ need to loose weight / look at you you’re skinny enough already/ are you sure you’re eating enough / man i’d be happy with your figure what are you doing” and it’s bloody annoying! It’s soooo hard to explain that it’s no big deal and everyone has to do it and it’s not going to turn you into an anorexic etc etc…

Ok sorry just needed to get that off my chest, i’ll get back to my carrot sticks now… 😀

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:57 am
    Pro Fighter

LOL I so relate. 😛 “stop eatping pies.” Haha I know it. At least people in the gym understand, but other aquaintances I meet and have to restrain myself from eating in front of them say stuff like that about ‘you look fine,’ etc. And some of them even try to give me a nutrition lesson! Which is hilarious because I probably know more than them.

Knowing other people go through the same thing keeps me going sometimes…..

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:17 am

Yeh I’ve been doing the “I need to loose weight” thing and people do the roll the eyes thing… I usually explain and they understand though. Or at least they pretend they understand- which is fine with me.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:38 am
    Instructor

I’ve been cutting weight for the last couple of months for this HnS fight. I started in mid July at 150 lbs and am now at 130 lbs. There is a personal trainer at my gym and he is the one who suggested this diet for me. It’s not great for losing weight fast but if you have a couple of months, it’s ideal!
    It is basically the Meat, Leaf, and Berry Diet (don’t know if you’ve heard of it) only with oatmeal and the occasional piece of wheat bread. I can eat all the meat, vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, eggs, and cheese that I want. I eat oatmeal almost every morning (with peanut butter) and drink lots and lots of water. I’m allowed a glass of 100% fruit juice each day. Use Sweet n Low in place of sugar. And most things advertised as “Low Carb” are okay. If you like lots of meat this diet is awesome!

Anthea
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:54 am
    Pro Fighter

That diet sounds fun! (I like the part where you get to eat as much as you want…hehe 😀 ). Does it leave you feeling low in energy tho? As I train usually twice a day i’m reluctant to cut the standard carbs to only once a day…
    I’ve always wanted to know what oatmeal is!! I kind of thought it was like what we call porridge – which is basically cut up rolled oats that you add water/milk to and cook on the stove until it boils and thickens up then eat it either plain or with milk (or for those people not watching their weight then they load the brown sugar on it)- but with peanut butter? now i think i’m totally off track… 😕

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:32 pm
    Instructor

Anthea,

After the first week or so your energy level is back to normal, but it does affect you for a little bit. It may not be as bad for other people though because I was on iron pills and stopped taking them around the same time that I started the diet.
    I also take a multi vitamin and a fiber supplement to make sure I’m still getting the things that the diet doesn’t provide me with.
    Oatmeal is just dried oats….not cut…mixed with some water. It sounds very similar to porridge except thicker maybe. I just put a packet of Sweet n Low, some cinnamon, and a table spoon of peanut butter in it and mix it all up….it’s delicious!!!
    Hope that helped!

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:01 pm
    Pro Fighter

Interesting. I know everybody’s body is different and different diets work for different people, although general concepts are the same. I know I couldn’t do my mom’s diet, and she couldn’t do mine.

Anthea
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:32 pm
    Pro Fighter

Yeah I agree Rox. You’ve just got to play round and experiment to find what works for you – it helps if you enjoy cooking! Once you find what works for you then you can manipulate it further to suit you better- for example, i found that I was always starving around 11am and 5pm just before meals, so what I’ve done is to cook up my main meal for lunchtime (11.30amish) which fills me up and so in the afternoon i just have a bit of fruit and then I don’t get on that raging hunger induced binge feast at 5pm! It also means I can get away with a lighter meal at night so don’t feel so blobby just sitting on my ass in the evening!
    One tip that also works for me is to go down a plate size – i think i heard this on oprah… It actually does feel like you’re eating the same but the portion sizes are heaps smaller (another thing oprah said was that you have to be able to see the pattening around the edge of the plate too… so no over stacking!)…

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:16 pm

ok, on MMA.TV forum there is a very interesting thread on the Chris Brennan forum where he explains to a couple of fighters how to cut weight.

Click here to view the thread

I’d like to know how your experiences on weight cutting stack up against some of the advice that Chris suggests. I’m curious to know how weight cutting might be different for female athletes.

VooDooQueen
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:25 am

The diabetic diet is good. Pretty much..chicken…and all the greens leafy greens you want. Lots of water…and NO TIRAMISU..Right, Knockout? lol

I am sure somewhere there is a sample of the diabetic diet somewhere. The main thing is dont feel punished with no sweets, just do so in moderation and never late at night. I mean, why punish yourself and then binge after the fact? Reward yourself once and a while then maybe the after fight…gimme your chocolate or your life binge wont kick in. I mean, I am cook not a dietician..so ask a pro for the best advice.

VooDoo

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:09 pm

“and NO TIRAMISU..Right, Knockout?”

LOL!

That is like suicide!!

(inside joke)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?