Melissa Vazquez, does anyone know ……

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

FistToFace
    Post subject: Melissa Vazquez, does anyone know …… Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:32 pm
    Pro Fighter

Does anyone know anything about who she is? Her team claims she is 5-3-0 in MMA and that her style is muai thai but I cant find anything on her other than a 6-0-0 boxing record.

Jeff
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:33 pm

There’s a Melissa Vasquez from Team Truth. Same person?

FistToFace
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:17 am
    Pro Fighter

Yeah I believe so

Jeff
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:20 am

Her most recent opponent Sybil Starr posted an account of their fight:

‘At the airport in Evansville I was picked up by the fight organizer, Jeff Osborne. . Great great guy. .He asked if I was worried about making weight. . and I said “no” I was pretty much fighting at my natural weight, 125#. .’

‘My opponent’s name was Melissa Vasquaz. . a young woman from Fort Wayne, IN. She did not make weight. . . . at least not when I was there. . . they said she did eventually. .’

‘The fight lasted maybe three minutes. Melissa hit me in the face and rocked me, she got a couple more shots in, too. I am not used to getting hit like that. . It was so hard to think and know what to do. . but luckily Mike was in my corner calling out to me what to do. . I tried to hit her back. . I think I missed, I tried to kick her, she got out of the way of that, too. . But when Mike said go for the clench, I got in close and grabbed her. I took her down to the ground and she was in my guard, I squeezed a bit with my legs and then I managed to sweep her. . I had control for maybe seconds before she swept me back. . She started Hitting me again and all thought went out of my mind. . . This happened I think two more times. . We ended up in a position where she had one of my arms between her legs and then was in a cross body position trying for a key lock, but the angle was odd and we were almost out of the ring. I managed to pull out of it once we were re-positioned more towards the center of the ring, and then I managed to get her back in my guard again.. I worked rubber guard and got her head and one arm trapped between my legs, and then I remembered I could hit her. . I started hitting her in the face while I held her one trapped arm and she tapped. After she tapped I let go instantly (too used to being on my honor and not having a ref!) and her corner yells out, “Keep going, don’t stop” so she takes a swing at me. . I jump back and go “Whoa” The ref asks what happened, I said, “She tapped.” He asked her, “Did you tap?” and she answered, “Yes.”‘

holddown
    Post subject: sybil starrPostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:06 am

is a session wrestler.

here’s a photo. and she won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hanoverfist
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:05 pm

um…yea..well Sybil Starr apparently has some classical training, she seems to know some submissions from the guard and can take a punch according to the report. But really…I can’t believe Vasquez lost, poor girl must be distraught loosing to a session wrestler who usually fights in her bra and panties for money. Ouch!

flyguy
    Post subject: why be derogatory towards a session wrestler?PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:58 am

why critisize Sybil Starr for doing session wrestling? I recognise her name from the pro wrestling cuircut as well and whatever you think of the pro wrestling being “fixed etc” you should recognise how much pro wrestlers have to be athletes to entertain the crowds.

I think it says a lot for a person like sybil starr to go to hook n shoot and try MMA at all, so given the limited number of female MMA fighter it should be encouragement not criticism.

BrawlerBitch
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:14 am

flyguy,
    I am very open minded and bristle when one person condems another for thier lifestyle.

BUT………….

Session wrestling demeans the serious female athlete in many peoples eyes, and make it harder for the ones that want to see MMA bouts for women along side the men more mainstream.

Still, I would never say she is wrong for doing what she wants with her life. I really hate anyone saying what a woman can do & what she can’t do!

holddown
    Post subject: you are rightPostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:15 pm

i agree.
    plump overweight girls who strip to a bra and thong and wrestle more overweight guys in a hotel room for a few bucks are great for the sport.

give me a break.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?