Miss MMA Sucks D@@@

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

tinaXXX
    Post subject: Miss MMA Sucks D@@@ Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:46 pm

I feel pretty strongly against the commercialized idiocy of this pageant, so I wrote an editorial in spite of being possibly blacklisted.

coslisa
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:37 am
    Pro Fighter

Female fighter of the year would be a good thing because it’s based on ability – who’s the best looking female fighter doesn’t seem to have any point whatsoever. They try to say it’s good publicity but it will attract the wrong people to the show. can’t see many fighters entering this comp.

Hywel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:17 pm

Tina, if you got a minute (or the inclication) I’d love to discuss this topic with you (in short, I agree with your stance, and wish to discuss how we might bring it to the masses so to speak)

If you could shoot me and email to fomeditor@gmail.com I’d be really grateful

Thanks
    Hywel

BrawlerBitch
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:35 pm

This sort of crap pisses me off so much. Our value as a woman by most of society is still based on how we look! Grrrrrr………….

MNkkgMMA
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:09 pm
    Pro Fighter

Wow, that would blow. Set the girls back a couple of decades as far as the sports concerned.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:18 am
    Pro Fighter

I was just reading about this on mma.tv and I don’t really understand what they’re trying to do, but I got a bad feeling about it.

tinaXXX
    Post subject: Their Website is InsanePostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:55 am

What I wrote was an initial reaction to their press release. But, now that I’ve seen the website, my opinion of them is, well, the same, only worse. Generally, they are a bunch of greedy bastards trying to capitalize on the MMA feeding frenzy, by creating an even more perverted version of the UFC ring girl contest. Miss MMA is trademarked, and it looks like they have big, ugly plans to push forward with a series of contests until they crown the Miss MMA USA at the end of 2007.

I threw up after I saw that the title of their contest page says, “Women’s Mixed Martial Arts Community – MMA the Women’s Way”

Not exactly enlightened, are they?

CaptainBad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:10 pm

It looks like they’re trying to reach out to as wide an audience as possible.

I don’t think you can have this one both ways. Either you stick entirely to a sporty competition angle, which will (probably) only attract those who are already interested in the sport, or you add something to it to give it wider appeal. It appears as if they’ve taken it from a smile angle in order to sell it.

This presentation might seem patronizing to keen followers of the sport, but you probably can’t have this one both ways.

coslisa
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:35 pm
    Pro Fighter

We don’t want it both ways, women are representing the sport on the shows they fight on and a lot of the time people make comments about how the female fight was the best on the night – maybe because of lack of opponents the opportunity to fight means more than to a male fighter with seemingly unlimited opponents in his weight category.

When someone comes along and tries to exploit the fact that we are women in a certain sport it is patronising, we train just as much and work just as hard as our male counterparts – you might feel the same if they were doing a MR MMA – but you don’t have to be a fighter or have any knowledge of the sport, just be a pretty boy in the crowd to enter.

They could have easily done a ring girl competition, (personally i think it takes a lots of guts to get up there in their underwear and although I don’t think ring girls are a necessary part of a show, they do get people cheering and can be a good stalling tool when fighters aren’t ready to fight). The ring girls have chosen to be portrayed using smile appeal and
    if that’s the angle the promoters wanted their show to go with, a Miss MMA Ring Girl competition would attract the audience that they seem to be targeting with Miss MMA competition.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:46 pm
    Instructor

Well said, Coslisa.

meltdawn
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:17 am

the best promotions will continue to be the women who get on cards and fight with skill. Liz’ fight with Kim in the RFC last weekend was a big push forward, in my honest opinion. when the women came out, the crowd was crazy. when Liz executed a prefect knee, the crowd got into it just like any male fight. when she did ground and pound, i didn’t hear one deragatory comment from anyone around me, and there were plenty of drunk hecklers. i was surprised, and very delighted at the reception from the audience.

bringing smile into this will only bring us down again.

BrawlerBitch
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:23 pm

I didn’t get to Tampa to watch Liz fight 🙁 Sounds like it was a great fight.

I readd the article that Tinaxxx put a link to and is does not look like the organizers are looking for female fighters to represent them, but a female fan contest is what it sounds like.

Pankration_MuayThai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:09 am
    Pro Fighter

meltdawn wrote:
    the best promotions will continue to be the women who get on cards and fight with skill. Liz’ fight with Kim in the RFC last weekend was a big push forward, in my honest opinion. when the women came out, the crowd was crazy. when Liz executed a prefect knee, the crowd got into it just like any male fight. when she did ground and pound, i didn’t hear one deragatory comment from anyone around me, and there were plenty of drunk hecklers. i was surprised, and very delighted at the reception from the audience.

bringing smile into this will only bring us down again.
    Thanks for the compliment. I really appreciate it.

I’m a girly girl that just happends to love trianing & fighting. I get excited about picking out a fight night hair style, matching my toe nail polish to my fight outfit….and I can’t believe this whole miss mma thing. I almost though that it looked like a joke. 😕

rick walters
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:58 am

I don’t think that’s a good idea at all. I think there will definately be people attracted to female MMA because they think the fighters are attractive but I don’t think the sport should ever market itself that way. I read a post awhile back where Debi remarked that “fighters are hot” or something to that effect. I think it’s pretty natural to find people who are in great shape and who are very skilled to be interesting or attractive and I think in some ways it’s common to most sports. I’m Canadian and I played hockey most of my life. There are tons of women who come to hockey games and yet seem to know very little about the sport. I think it’s common to most sports and mostly it’s kind of normal, if female MMA caters to this though it’ll really hurt it as a serious sport I think,

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?