MMA / Los Angeles

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Rem
    Post subject: MMA / Los AngelesPostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:47 pm

are there any places in the los angeles area that have training for women who may be interested in pursuing mma (and are respectful to women)? i have been doing bjj for a couple years and have competed a lot- but I wonder what it would be like to do mma type fighting. It would be my dream to go to Japan and fight there… but would have to train hard to not get an ass-kicking… where to train in LA?

also does anyone have thoughts on how do you keep your name / reputation “clean,” i.e. keep from having people sling sh#t about you,, trash your personal life…. can you be a mma fighter and still have your regular job and not have co-workers find out about your private life (unless you want them to)?…how much do the internet forums affect you? I know for me just reading them can make me angry and they are not even talking about me. Of course I am posting on an internet forum now…

I am new posting new to this board – please be kind
    thanks for any responses

Rem
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:49 pm

and Laguna is too far for me to drive with the 405 traffic

Rick Alexio
    Post subject: re:MMA / Los AngelesPostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:13 am

Greetings, Rem…

If you’re out of the Valley you might want to try the RAW training center in El Segundo. Just like anything else, Women’s MMA will always have it’s share of detractors and a-holes, but I think as the sport continues to grow so will the respect for the women.

As far as keeping a secret from your family, sounds like a headache, perhaps some of the ladies can help you out there.

Best of luck.
    RA

Rem
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:55 pm

1) Thanks for responding – I get upset sometimes when I read the internet forums (with exception of this one and one on jiu-jitsu.net) and I see people talking about women I know who are decent people, and they are getting insulted left and right. I guess being talked about comes with the territory of being in a spectator sport.

2) am looking for ways to enter more competitions as when you move up in belt color in BJJ there are fewer opportunties to do competitions.I like to have a goal to prepare for in training – to use that as a motivational tool. Maybe judo might be good. I hear that there are a lot of competitions, sometimes even every week. I am kind of afraid of MMA but that makes me want to try it.

appreciate any feed back, thank you

WarriorHeartGrrl
    Post subject: MMA / Los AngelesPostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:17 am

San Diego as probobly way out the way for you huh? To bad, I know some decent schools in that area….Maybe I could ask around about L.A.

And what you said was true, when competing in a spectator sprt, people are going to talk about. Especially when it comes to fighting, as trash talk has always been a part of the game in public.

As for hiding it, MMA is a hard thing to hide when you really start traing. Such as “Oh gee, how did you get that black eye?” Or “Why are you limping?” Becasue, chances are you’ll get some bumps and bruises that will cause concern to your family and co-workers, and they will ask questions. Maybe you should ask yourself why you feel the need to hide it. You should be proud of what you do, and if it’s going to be something you really want to commit yourself to, then you should be prepared to talk about it.

As for goals, don’t think in terms of belt ranks when it comes to MMA. Set gaols in terms of endurance or skill, such as “All right, this months goal is to learn to stay on my feet when taking a punch to my head….”
    *chuckles*

Good luck with your training, MMA is a blast….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?