MMA Training Advice

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

ornery
    Post subject: MMA Training Advice Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:20 am

Hi ladies,
    Thought I’d post this question here since you all seem to have experience with the topic. I have some pretty formidable skills on the ground (BJJ) and some reasonably formidable skills on my feet (Joe Lewis kickboxing mixed with kenpo). But I am terrible at take-downs. I can’t set em up and I have a hard time defending against them. There is a new MMA class at one of my training facilities. I was thinking about signing up so that I could work on my take-down skills. Trouble is, I’m a 120 pound woman and the entire class is guys over 175. All of them are beginners at MMA. Do you think it’s a bad idea for me to practise takedowns with these guys? Seems like there is a high potential of me getting badly injured. Or is that just some excuse my mind invented because I’m chicken? what do you ladies think?

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:24 am
    Instructor

I think training with bigger guys is one of the best things you can do for yourself. If you can take them down you shouldn’t have problems with women on your same skill level. There is always the possiblity for injury (I seem to get hurt the most when training with other women) but if they are training with the right mindset you shouldn’t have to worry about it too much. I think you should go for it!

jepe13
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:49 pm
    Fightergirls Pro Fight Team

i have the same problem, im 115 and the smallest guy out weighs me by 20-30lbs. i think that it is great to go with bigger guys, but it also depends on their control and understanding of the size difference. drilling/ technique isnt really an issue, but going live with them is a little risky. just make sure to pick a good partner.

BrawlerBitch
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:08 pm

You’ll learn pretty quick which guys to stay away from and that are reckless & have the potential to hurt you. Pick the older guys if you can. They don’t need to try and prove their machismo like many of the younger ones do.

It really comes down to the instructor. If he/she is stressing drilling and going through the motions over & over, injury is less likely. If the instuctor allows a free for all with new students, there is more likely of people going all out for a submission and not going easy.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?