Moving to AZ

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

ktnzgtklws
    Post subject: Moving to AZ PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:05 am

I posted about this in the ‘places to train” forum, but I didn’t get much of a response. If double posting is banned, please feel free to deleate this, I don’t mean to offend.

I’ll be moving to Tucson, AZ in April. I am 5’2″, 140, and currently have a purple belt in Kenpo. I have been training in basic striking and grappling skills with my insturctor for about 6 months now. I would LOVE to continue to train, with the hope that I can fight someday.

My question is this: Does anyone know of any good gyms or trainers in the Tucson or Phoenix area? I am quite serious about this, and don’t want to be treated in the “Oh, how cute! The little girl wants to play with the big boys.” type ways that more than a couple people have thrown my way. I have found one gym that sounds decent, and someone reccomended one trainer, but until I am in the state, I won’t know what thier attitude towards women is. I know there must be more out there, I just need help finding them!

Thank you in advance for any help you gals can provide. 🙂

Report this post Post details Warn user Delete post
    Top E-mail Edit post Reply with quote

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:42 am

Thai Boxing Association list a school in Tucson.
    http://www.fightergirls.com

Top E-mail Edit post Reply with quote

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:49 pm

Hey. I live in Tucson. Sorry, I didn’t see this thread.

I haven’t heard of Elite Muay Thai in Tucson. That gym either hasn’t been around for years, or that gym is brand new within the past few months. I’ve been here for 3 years. I did hear of one Muay Thai “group” that just did fight training and didn’t have an official “class”.

There is a gym up northwest called the Ultima. They have some decent BJJ guys there, and a couple of Muay Thai guys running a Muay Thai class. The guys there that are into MMA and Muay Thai seem young and energetic, but perhaps limited in experience. I don’t think the Muay Thai class is very traditional training. I’m sure it would be decent enough training for most people, and it’s probably par for the course in the U.S. The BJJ classes in the NorthWest school seemed to be serious enough, with some visiting black belt instructors showing up during the class that I watched. Didn’t get their names.

I didn’t train at the NorthWest Ultima. I just stopped by and watched a couple classes. I did train at the east-end Ultima in a grappling class (a hybrid karate/grappling class called Hiraido) and a Muay Thai class. It has fewer people training there, but it’s a newer school. I thought the guys in both classes were cool people. I didn’t sense any major egos. The Ultima East seems to focus more on Krav Maga for self defense more than the BJJ or Muay Thai classes.

In general, the Ultima provides the basics for training in MMA or Muay Thai, but I think it’s a tad bit expensive considering that it’s not a full-fledged fight school with experienced fighters as trainers. There is one guy in the NorthWest Ultima that has some MMA and Muay Thai fight experience in the single digits. He is a young guy, and he runs most of the Muay Thai classes. I think for Grappling + Muay Thai, you’re looking at something like $120/month, give or take $10. I remember it was above $100/month.

I’ve heard there are a couple BJJ-only schools worth checking out. I’ve only passed by one of them that was near downtown. It’s called “de Brazil” or something like that. It’s a tiny room, and they only do gi-based grappling, although it is open 7 days per week. Supposedly, it is high level BJJ, but I didn’t train there.

There is one guy in town that used to train at the Fairtex that used to exist in Arizona many years back. His name is Daton Larsh. He was a purple belt in BJJ and trained with Carlson Gracie Jr in Chicago. He has some competition experience in MMA and Muay Thai. He seemed to be someone who did serious fight training. He used to train out of a fitness club, but then he moved to the YMCA at
    2900 N Columbus Blvd, Tucson, AZ
    (520) 795-9725

Very reasonable pricing ($45-$50/month), but limited classes. He teaches Muay Thai primarily, 2 nights per week, sometimes on Saturdays, and the grappling classes (no-gi) are more of an afterthought, and he is not consistant with them (at least, when I was training there last). He’s a guy with real fight experience and he’ll talk fighting all night if you want to discuss it. When I asked him about competing in fighting, he tried talking me out of it. Before he trains anyone for competition, he wants to make sure they know what they are getting into and that they are serious. When I was there last, he was training a guy to compete in Rage in the Cage in Phoenix.

There is also Don Frye’s group, which train out of Rincon high school gym on the east end. I haven’t been there before, but I heard multiple rumors that guys get injured a lot training there. Didn’t sound like a place I wanted to train. Your mileage may vary. Maybe it’s worth checking out.

Now…I’m a guy. This isn’t a review from a guy’s or girl’s perspective. Its just an overview of training available. I have no idea if anyone of these places is smile or has any kind of bias against women training. I do know that both the Ultima East and Daton Larsh had women training there. I don’t think any of the women that I saw were focused on competition, but I could be wrong.

A couple years ago, I started teaching a beginner grappling class and assisted a friend of mine in doing a Muaythai-centered self defense class. I’ve considered doing some kind of fight training club of some kind. This would either be 100% free or cheap as hell, or I wouldn’t be interested in doing it. I have some thai pads, belly pad, focus mitts, shin pads, gloves…I just need to get some grappling mats. If you’re interested in this idea, PM me and maybe I could get moving on it. It would be open to whoever showed up.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?