My All-Women’s BJJ Class!! ** Advice please! **

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

skiistari
    Post subject: My All-Women’s BJJ Class!! ** Advice please! ** Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:00 pm

Hey everyone!

My jiujitsu instructor inquired with me, the other day, about the possibility of starting an All-Women’s class at Waikru MMA gym (Boston area). This would be a beginner’s class since I’m still a blue belt, but would provide a great opportunity to the steadily growing number of female grapplers in our area. We have around 5-10 interested students so far!!!
    What is your best advice for a new grappling teacher? Anything specific to teaching a class of all women? Anyone have experience in this already? Anyone care to visit Boston and train with us????

-Elyse

cosmic
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:04 pm

have you done any teaching before? or assisted with a teacher perhaps?

teaching is one of those things that you get better at the more you do….and also helps you understand the techniques more.

I haven’t taught bjj, mostly standup (including takedowns, sweeps, throws etc)….one thing that I suggest is if you are not used to teaching to write some lesson plans (plan ahead).

use things you are used to from classes you attend….I’m sure your instructor can give you some tips and advice.

will the class be a bjj class for women, or more focused around some self defence aspects of bjj?

you will be awesome…..have fun.

skiistari
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:11 am

I’ve assisted and taught large all-male grappling classes twice so far this year. For that, I just followed the same basic class structure as I’ve experienced with the various groups I’ve trained with in the past (for those of you who know the distinctive BTT style).

The main difference here will be the class size (for now), with around 8 students instead of 20.

I think also, most of the people who will be in this class will be more interested in just rolling instead of doing all the conditioning work that we do in the normal classes. Then again, having an all-female class offers some good opportunities to push different parts of the conditioning routine (i.e. my girls could last longer in any core or leg-dominated drill than most of the guys at the gym, while extensive numbers of push-ups might be more of a waste of time).

p.s. the class will definitely be sport grappling-oriented as opposed to self-defense. These girls want to learn how to be aggressive jiujitsu players.

cosmic
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:50 am

sounds like it will be a great class. the numbers will build with time I’m sure.

let us know how you go!

cosmic
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:06 am

so, how did it go????

irishspirit
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:06 am

I would run your lesson plan by a more experienced instructor if you can. They can give you pointers on common mistakes beginners make and what pieces of a given move should be emphasized above others.

Beginners in anything can only think about so many pieces at one time. This is one of the reasons BJJ can seem so overwhelming when you first start. There are so many dimensions of movement and steps to each technique that it is basically impossible to remember all the pieces if they aren’t taught properly. Although you can figure it out on your own over time, a seasoned instructor’s points might be able to help you and your students over the learning curve.

I’m interested to hear how it goes. This is something I’d like to start at our school once I have a little more experience with BJJ.

Best of luck!!

skiistari
    Post subject: arrggg!!!PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:10 pm

Unfortunately my all-women’s BJJ class has gotten stuck in the bowels of misunderstanding somewhere between my instructor and the gym owner.

They disagree and I get the shaft.
    🙁

I’ll keep you guys updated incase anything new comes up.

cosmic
    Post subject: Re: arrggg!!!PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:01 pm

skiistari wrote:
    Unfortunately my all-women’s BJJ class has gotten stuck in the bowels of misunderstanding somewhere between my instructor and the gym owner.

They disagree and I get the shaft.
    🙁

I’ll keep you guys updated incase anything new comes up.
    That sucks cause sounded like you were really looking forward to it. maybe in the near future you will be able to get something going.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?