My Current Women’s Open weight Rankings

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

derUbermensc
    Post subject: My Current Women’s Open weight Rankings PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:38 pm

http://www.fightergirls.com

Don’t take this as anything definitive, this is only my perception of the current state of affairs in women’s mma. I felt an openweight ranking was most appropiate due to the fact that fighters are pretty much doomed to weight jumping. I’d like to see other people’s rankings, if they’ve put the effort to the kind of thing. Feel free to ask me why I have certain people ranked where they are, I’ll try my best to explain my rationale. Without further ado:

1- Yuka Tsuji
    2- Satoko Shinashi
    3- Laura D’Auguste
    4- Tara Larosa
    5- Megumi Yabushita
    6- Roxanne Modafferi
    7- Hisae Watanabe
    8- Ossan
    9- Jennifer Howe
    10- Megumi Fujii

Report this post Post details Warn user Delete post
    Top E-mail Edit post Reply with quote

Jeff
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:28 pm

My attempt –

Over 150:
    1. Erin Toughill
    2. Irma Verhoeff
    3. Drake Morimatsu

150:
    1. Marloes Coenen
    2. Angela Restad
    3. Mayra Conde

135:
    1. Laura D’Auguste
    2. Tara LaRosa
    3. Roxanne Modafferi

125:
    1. Tara LaRosa
    2. Jennifer Howe
    3. Yuka Tsuji

115 and under:
    1. Megumi Fuji
    2. Hisae Watanabe
    3. Satoko Shinashi

Last edited by Jeff on Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:48 pm
    Pro Fighter

Ossan is okay, but I personally think Laura D. is the best, well rounded fighter in the world.
    Which is why I want to fight her again for that title (that I’ve made in my mind). Shinashi is also pretty good, and well rounded, but obviously has strengths in Judo. This was obvious from her always clinching with Naoko Omuro during her last fight, and throwing her all over the place when Oomuro was overpowering her with strikes. Yabushita definately deserves to be there.. megumi FUJI is also a top ten. Wish I could fight her, but she’s WAY smaller than I.
    anyway, la la la off to train to fight Tara now

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:50 pm

[quote=”Rox21″]Ossan is okay, but I personally think Laura D. is the best, well rounded fighter in the world.
    Which is why I want to fight her again for that title (that I’ve made in my mind). Shinashi is also pretty good, and well rounded, but obviously has strengths in Judo. This was obvious from her always clinching with Naoko Omuro during her last fight, and throwing her all over the place when Oomuro was overpowering her with strikes. Yabushita definately deserves to be there.. megumi FUJI is also a top ten. Wish I could fight her, but she’s WAY smaller than I.
    anyway, la la la off to train to fight Tara now[/quote]

I have Ossan ranked cause she ran through nearly everyone @ 52kg using next to nothing but her cat-like takedowns. She got tooled by Tsuji though, but come on, its Yuka. I tried to tailor my rankings to take into consideration quality of wins for the most part. I was actually tarrying with not including Fujii @ 10. The next couple of people in line, Top 15ers, were Buckner, Kobald, Ohmuro, and Montoya. I gave it to Fujii cause she’d beaten (1) the only person to ever beat Tsuji and (2) the person who gave Tsuji her hardest fight I’ve seen in Montoya.

Mark Grassman
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:39 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

How do you rank Erin Toughill?

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:35 pm

[quote=”Mark Grassman”]How do you rank Erin Toughill?[/quote]

The problem with my ranking which I’ll admit is bigger women. They have 2 disadvantages: (1) They’re bigger than everybody and (2) They don’t fight as often. This makes them hard to rank, and this goes for the two best of the bigger fighters in women’s MMA, sizewise,and skillwise, Coenen and Toughill. They both were MIA for two years until the new ReMix tournament. So I have to rank them on what they did there, and Erin beat Merloes, who I like and has skill but whom doesn’t enjoy the frequency of fighting enough and good opponents at that. Then she gets herself DQ’d against Yabushita and the rest is history. Add to the fact that she spent her 2005 chasing Laila Ali and I find I can’t rank her very high. She’s Top 20, so is Merloes, for me, but its sorta not their faults at the same time if you get what I mean. There’s this one fighter, Yoko Takahashi, who I think easily is the best Japanese woman her size in MMA, but she doesn’t fight a whole lot and the people she does fight are either scrubs or aces. That’s a real bad contrast when you’re trying to develop as a fighter. If she had adequate frequency and opponents, I think she could be real good, but thats just the nature of women’s MMA right now.

You might object and be like, “Well why the fuck is Ossan in your Top 10 and not Erin?”, and this is where that inequity in current of state of Women’s MMA comes into play. Ossan lost to a decent Top 20 fighter in Naoko in her first fight, but then runs through the 52kg div on Sean Sherk-like takedown ability. She really did earn that fight with Tsuji. I acutally she’d beat her by Texas Hold’Em 🙂 but Tsuji ended up running over her. Ossan never even got started.

Seth
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:57 pm

Tough job to rank fighters and of different weights and experience but a nice take, derUbermensc.

I’d like to see Erin rematch with Yabu, Debbi fight anyone who’s good, and the winner of Rox/Tara fight Laura D. Some great fighters in Japan so Roxy might be getting regular practice with good mma gals.

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:26 pm

[quote=”Seth”]Tough job to rank fighters and of different weights and experience but a nice take, derUbermensc.

I’d like to see Erin rematch with Yabu, Debbi fight anyone who’s good, and the winner of Rox/Tara fight Laura D. Some great fighters in Japan so Roxy might be getting regular practice with good mma gals.[/quote]

I’d be down for that D’Auguste vs. Winner of LaRosa/Modafferi fight. Toughill , on the other han, has no reason to be in the ring with Yabushita anymore. I don’t care if she’s the openweight champion, I just don’t want to see that fight.

MNkkgMMA
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:50 pm
    Pro Fighter

What makes someone qualified to rank fighters?

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:01 am

[quote=”MNkkgMMA”]What makes someone qualified to rank fighters?[/quote]

As long as MMAWeekly’s Rankings continue to baffle all, a ranking which mind you is voted on by fighters, broadcasters, and people in the sport, then I think its safe to give it a try

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:48 pm

*updated

Yuka Tsuji
    Satoko Shinashi
    Laura D’Auguste
    Tara Larosa
    Roxanne Modafferi
    Hisae Watanabe
    Amanda Buckner
    Megumi Yabushita
    Ossan
    Jennifer Howe

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?