My daughter

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Nightmareslumber
    Post subject: My daughter  PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:41 am

Great to see a forum like this. My daughter is young and is a red belt in Karate, trains Muay Thai, and BJJ. She likes MMA but at most tournaments she has to face guys for lack of girl competiton. She is fine with that. She fights whoever they put in front of her. I think it would be good for her to hear from other females in the MMA world so she knows she is not alone in her desire to fight MMA. Here are two of her videos.

http://www.fightergirls.com

The date is wrong on the Hayastan, it was this year.

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:46 pm

maybe i’m old fashioned but training to be a cage fighter just seems to odd of a thing for children – male or female. gives me the willies

AnnaTrocity
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:05 pm
    less internet
    Last edited by AnnaTrocity on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

AnnaTrocity
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:09 pm
    less internet
    Last edited by AnnaTrocity on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nightmareslumber
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:50 pm

She is 12 and likes Muay Thai. She has better stuff but I just started capturing things with a camera, just got it a few months ago. Odd thing is, she isn’t too into MMA fights on TV. It is like the kids who would rather play baseball than watch it. If you aren’t a fan of cage fighting then why are you a site that promotes it?

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:56 pm

it is more interesting that u are promoting your 12 year old in it. why not go and do it yourself?

Nightmareslumber
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:38 am

I train Muay Thai and started in BJJ. I have another kid that is great in it as well. He just won the Hayastan in Charlotte in his divison and has some wonderful striking in differnet styles. I don’t “promote” me and didn’t put him up since this forum is called Fightergirls.

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:35 am

i still think MT, BJJ etc is odd for a child to be involved with – TKD, Aikido, Wado Ryu is one thing. Arm bars and ‘ground and pounds’ is very much another thing. don’t get me started about mixed gender grappling with minors. and my question was about you promoting your 12 year old , not yourself.

AnnaTrocity
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:00 pm
    less internet

Mark Grassman
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:13 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

Twelve is obviously too young for a girl to fight MMA. The International Sport Combat Federation has a minimum age limit of 18.

That give plenty of time for her to round out her grappling and striking skills. The importand thing is that she enjoys what she’s doing. Don’t push her too hard. 😉

satanico
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:06 pm

All the best muay thai fighters in Thailand were fighting at 12. It is unbelievable how good most of them are. No question the best time to learn is before adulthood.

treelizard
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:39 pm

AnnaTrocity wrote:
    [(I got my start in wado ryu at 12 years old…i had three fights in highschool, tried to defend myself, and got beat like a rented mule all three times.)
    Me too!! Well actually, I trained maybe 5 years in wado ryu starting at 12/13 and then got on the ground in a fight and had absolutely no skill in defending myself. 😳

At least let ’em do budo taijutsu or something that will actually work if you won’t let ’em grapple.

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:28 pm

adults should pursue their own interests and not live through kids. and i still think arm bars. ground and pounds and mixed gender grappling for minors is very odd

Nightmareslumber
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:35 pm

Fight4Life, I feel answered your question about promoting my daughter and not me. I mentioned I train as well but this forum is named Fightergirls for a reason. I am very proud of her and her skills. BJJ is a very safe and controlled sport with very practical defense for the street. Most fights wind up on the ground. An above post mentioned the young age kids train in Thailand and it is true, most start at 10 and some as young as 8. Muay Thai is better when you start that young because of the conditioning of the shins and forearms. MMA does require you to be 18. If SHE chooses to go that route then when over 6 years of training she will be ready. My daughter does mixed gender grappling, do you think she can not compete in a sport with males? She does very well and again, the defense part of it is that she will have to more than likely defend against a male attacker as oppossed to a female one. As for your last statement. You should know more of what you are talking about because she has been training longer than me and got me interested in it. I didn’t push her or steer her. my other kid and her both started in Karate and neither is forced to go. So before you make snap judgements about me living thru them, know the difference that I fully support my two martial art kids and my cheerleader/dance daughter in their intrests and their hobbies.

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:02 pm

i understand and still think M.T. and BJJ is not appropriate for minors. and i know all about the P.R. of fights usually going to ground and how BJJ is best for that. I think there is also good evidence that in the ‘real world’ you do not want to be on the ground for any length of time for any reason… even being on the better side of a ground and pound or an arm bar. often the friends of the one you are defending against can use that to their advantage.

the UFC is a TV show and entertainment event and in many ways BJJ etc are just an entertainment event for those in the safe seats – rather than being designed as a viable self defense against the bad guys.

we obviously disagree but seeing that kid walk away holding his arm after your 12 year old cranked it was well, not comforting.

treelizard
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:25 pm

You wanna ban high school wrestling, too?

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:37 pm

read what i said and it says what i meant. not much for chasing bait but thanks. have any herbal tea sitting around?

treelizard
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:44 pm

Robert,
    I did read what you wrote, and I was wondering, since you think MT and BJJ is inappropriate for minors, whether you would say the same about middle school and high school wrestling.

And since you seem to be a fan of making judgements based on snippets you read on the internet and telling strangers how to raise their children, I wanted to know whether you’d want to ban wrestling as well, or maybe you could just try to make dads you don’t know feel guilty about their kids gym classes.

I also don’t recall anybody asking you for your opinion on what the best self-defense strategies are, which is probably a good thing since you are recommending wado ryu.

I am interested in what exactly your qualifications are for judging what is and isn’t good self-defense for others is, though.

Nightmareslumber
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:12 pm

Again assumptions about my daughter’s match. Before that if you are taken to the ground you had better have some skills to get back up whether you wanna fight from there or not. My kid didn’t crank the arm bar. The Hayastan rules states that when a kid is caught in a submission situation they stop the match in that postion and ask the other kid if he wants to continue. He struggled and couldn’t, tapped. My daughter having the hold locked could’ve popped his arm but didn’t because she has great control and regard for others safety. Again, what you don’t realize is that was a double elimination tournament and the kid you mentioned walking away holding his arm, competed two more times. His arm must have been OK in order to do that. We always make it point to chat with the winners and losers of our matches to thank them for a good match. If you knew about submissions then you also know how easy it is to injury someone no matter what their gender or age and my kids have never injured anyone. BJJ and Muay Thai is not just TV hype.

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:32 pm

LOL, I feel like Ann Coulter.

piranha
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:15 am

Quote:
    adults should pursue their own interests and not live through kids. and i still think arm bars. ground and pounds and mixed gender grappling for minors is very odd

Not all children involved in submission fighting are pushed by parents.
    My son is only eight and has trained in Kung Fu, MMA for 4 years.
    Although I do agree that full-contact MMA fights for children
    is going a little overboard, there’s nothing wrong with sparring/takedowns/grappling/”armbars”
    with appropriate gear.
    I think for some fighters it is born in them. Obviously at such a young age it has to monitored closely but if I told my son he couldn’t do submission fighting anymore, it would kill him. This is who he is.

voly
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:31 am

Plaudits to the young person for her participation and progress in demanding competitive activities.

Would disagree, though, with an assertion that it’s important to choose a sport that will serve one well in a street fight or other physical altercation. Violent episodes are too infrequent – too rare – I think to deserve any weight. In my entire life (up to this point) I’ve never participated in an impromptu fight and have had the opportunity to watch only one – and I didn’t wait around to see how it turned out.

If confrontation and violence are prospective problems, how about anger management and conflict resolution instruction?

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:17 pm

GREAT points. the whole sales pitch of BJJ etc as a great self defense approach for kids seems bogus to me in that, generally it is rare for someone to be in such a situation – IF they have the awareness to avoid dangerous people and settings. some people are in and see fights all the time, many others go through life with never experiencing one. Zanshin is more helpful than an arm bar

Nightmareslumber
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:59 am

My daughter loves the competion of BJJ and no matter how infrequent violent episodes may be (and there are numbers stating that they aren’t that infrequent) it just takes one to be in a situation to defend yourself. I’m sure getting jumped by one bully in your life is a small number. That is also all one bully needs to cause permenant injury. All street fights don’t end up in life threating endings but tell that to the people whoose did. Can you be over cautious or prepared? At the corporation I work at we have had conflict resoultion classes. Most of the concepts are good in theory. I really don’t understand how you can call BJJ self defense bogus because most street fights the attacker will try to mount you to pound on you. This point, conflict resolution is useless and even if you do not attack from the bottom, BJJ will help you get out of that positon and back to your feet. I didn’t mention it because the orginial intent of this forum was to show of my daughters skills in martial arts, but she has had many safety classes to avoid danger and fight situation, H.E.R.O. and Stranger/Danger and “The Fence” to name a few. She competes and competes hard and is a great sport with a great heart. She loses, she isn’t angry, she extends her hand and thanks the person. No anger issuses. Zanshin or the alert mind if I’m not mistaken is very much needed. Maybe as far as self defense goes, you have no idea what BJJ is. It is much more than submissions. Street fights are rare but they aren’t all avoidable.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?