My first Muay thai experience!! (in des miones;iowa)

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

adriennaaj
    Post subject: My first Muay thai experience!! (in des miones;iowa) PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:33 pm
    Pro Fighter

http://www.fightergirls.com

So, on friday i jumped in a mauy thai tourny put on by pete peterson in des miones. (really nice poeple). It was a really fun experience. (molly- you would have been so proud of me trying to be a tita..lol) I lost the desicion, But it was really great to step out of my comfort zone of training at an mma school; mainly being a bunch of wrestlers and grapplers. Kat Johnson was fantastic to wacth, she won. And ashley altman fought her butt of too.It was really nice meeting yall. It taught me so much new things to learn and things to ask my teachers to work on.I really look foward to trying it again. Here was the write up on the fights.

BOUT 4 Women’s Welterweight
    Adrienna Jenkins, Bettendorf, Iowa (0-0, 5’9”, 24, 7-22-81, Pat Militech) was defeated by Katie Vogel, Minneapolis, Minnesota (4-2, 5’6”, 26, 11-3-79, Greg Nelson) by decision

The bell rang and the clenching began. Round 1 found both ladies very active in clench after clench with knees flying. At one point, however, Jenkins was able to back Vogel into the ropes outside of the clench. Vogel stayed in the game with punches. In round 2, Vogel worked her knees hard in the clench while Jenkins tried to prevent Vogel from standing completely upright and capitalizing on her positioning. Jenkins then began to box more while Vogel focused on kicks. Vogel was more comfortable at the distance and able to land combinations to Jenkins’ head. Round 3 found Jenkins trying to work straight line punches. Vogel has to fight hard to gain an upper hand. Jenkins tried to eliminate Vogel’s legs until Vogel became more mobile and avoided continual leg kicks. In the end, Vogel’s ability to fight outside of the clench gave her the victory.

BOUT 1 Women’s Welterweight
    Marie “Roo” Sturm, Auburn, Iowa (3-1, 5’3”, 23, 1-8-83, Pete Peterson) defeated Ashley Altman, Atlanta, Georgia (1-3,5’7” 21, 11-21-84, Manu Ntoh) by decision
    The first fight opened with Sturm initiating a clench in traditional Muay Thai form. The action was immediate and fast moving. Sturm worked her knees and leg kicks while Altman boxed. Sturm fought going into, during and while separating from clenches. There was constant action by both with Sturm focusing on attacking the head while Altman threw body shots. Round 2 opened with both fighters using leg kicks. Sturm quickly changed her strategy to head jabs while Altman worked the clench. Sturm used her strength and Altman took advantage of her height. The round ended with Sturm against the ropes, but swinging. The final round was just as exciting as the first two. Altman reached for her targets, while Sturm landed head and body shots using uppercuts and crosses. Altman was able to time Sturm’s leg kicks and deliver left jabs to Sturm’s head as well as use her longer legs to keep Sturm away. Sturm changed the tempo of the round by landing a spinning backfist to Altman’s head. Judges Josh Carmean, Ron Gorman and Tony Storm all gave the fight to Sturm.

BOUT 6 Women’s Light Heavyweight
    Charmaine Tweet, Qu’Appelle, Saskatoon, Canada (2-1, 6’0”, 29, 4-30-77, Craig Moser) was defeated by Kat Johnson, Atlanta, Georgia (3-2, 5’10”, 23, 4-6-82, Manu Ntoh) by decision

In this much anticipated fight, both fighters showed their ability to give and take a hit. Johnson used repeat right punches to Tweet’s head and then switched to right/left combinations. Tweet established clenches and forced exchanges of punches and knees. In round 2, Tweet came out the aggressor, but it did not seem to impact Johnson as the two tried to intimidate the other. The final round was faster paced. They fought both in the clench and apart throughout the round. Tweet landed solid head shots and knees to the body. Johnson responded but appeared to be getting tired. Tweet threw more techniques, but Johnson threw harder ones. Johnson won the bout by the only split decision of the evening.

Last edited by adriennaaj on Sun May 14, 2006 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adriennaaj
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:40 pm
    Pro Fighter

Eh- I forgot to ask if anyone is going to the naga in chicago this weekend? Call me up if you are:)

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:58 am
    Instructor

I knew you’d be able to hold your own AJ! Good job to you and to the other ladies, as well!

Ashly
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:05 am

I have to admit to being a LITTLE annoyed with how the person described the fight… she didn’t land a damn one of those spinning back fists! Plus I felt like I at least won the third round (I thought I won the second one two, but meh) but the judges gave it to Sturm anyway I guess, argh. Ah well, I’m done bitching haha…

Adrienna had a good fight with Katie, who as far as I’m concerned, is a total bad ass kickboxer. Major props for getting in there and throwing down in a new sport. Also it was very cool meeting and chit chatting with you (Adrienna) during the event. Hope we get to meet up at some event again in the future!

AnnaTrocity
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:07 am
    less internet

Last edited by AnnaTrocity on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pankration_MuayThai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:42 pm
    Pro Fighter

congrats on a job well done- all of you. I’ll look forward to fighting the same show as you guys again soon.

What’s next for you?

Ashly
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:40 am

Pankration_MuayThai wrote:
    congrats on a job well done- all of you. I’ll look forward to fighting the same show as you guys again soon.

What’s next for you?

I’m doing the IKF Regionals here in Georgia in a couple weeks, then maybe the Worlds in July. It looks like we’ll be fighting on another one of Pete’s shows in August. Kat has a title fight with the WFC in Kentucky I think in early July.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?