new and impressed

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig

Post subject: new and impressed PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:02 pm

i stumbled across this forum while looking for info about women and martial arts and i would just like to say that i think you ladies are awesome. seriously, bada$$ed. (although, i’m sure you must hear that constantly and get a little tired of it )
    i have always wanted to learn kickboxing, but like most women i have at times allowed stereotypical ideas keep me from trying.. /learning../excelling at certain things.
    seeing as how i’m usually perceived as the kind of woman that would/could never do what you guys do, 😳 😳 ….i just wanted to say hats off to you females.
    much respect. i WISH i had balls like all of you.

that being said i have some very newbie questions and i hope no one gets annoyed by them. after reading through some threads it seems as though all or most of you are very experienced if not competing.

i am shocked that there aren’t more newbs here asking questions of all of you because there really isn’t a lot of info out there for women on this subject. so here goes….and thanks a lot in advance for any advice. 🙂

1. do you recommend learning kickboxing for someone who has never trained w/ any other martial arts? if not, what is the starting point most of you began with?

2. for it best to get personal lessons as opposed to taking a class? (i’ve have observed the classes at my gym, but it’s all men and..i just get a weird “boys club” feeling)

3.i workout and i am fit, but i am not in peak physical condition. how much of an issue is that for a beginner?

4. when compared to the “typical or average” non trained female, how much safer do you feel your training and physical abilities makes you if confronted with dangerous situations / violent crimes? uh – i’m asking this because the reason i want to train is for self defense.

thankyou for helping out me out and answering my (hopefully not to lame) questions.

Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:49 am

Glad to have you to the site.

I am not a kickboxer, but there are a lot of ladies on here that can help you out. I know that Del would be very vastful with her knowladge you might try hitting her up. Don’t let an all boy’s class discourage you. Good luck with whatever you try.

Tim Osborne
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:14 am

In order..

1) Picking the style you train in will consist of several smaller decisions.. first what do you want to gain from your training, and second what is available to you. Do you want to train strictly for fitness reasons, do you want to gain confidence, is it for self defense, is it for fighting/competing, or with some of the traditional martial arts, alot train for the spiritual reasons…

If you cannot answer this question yet, no problem. Simply get some exposure to several different styles.. pick up the phone book and schedule a class with several of the gyms listed. Most, if not all will give you atleast one free class to try it out. Be prepared to get their high pressure sales spill when you get there.. but stay strong and try several before making up your mind. This will let you experience different styles and also see how you, as a woman, is recieved in the classes.

Find you a good gym, one that treats you like a person. You dont special attention because your a girl.. also, I see a big problem with some instructors continuely hitting on the female students.. stay away from that as well, if the instructor wont take you seriously, the other students will pick up on the vibe and follow suit. The best advice.. try alot of places.. try different programs different styles, When you visit the school, get involved, actually take a class and experience it first hand not from the sideline. Find a program you like and feel comfortable with.. then sign up. Tell them when you contact them that you want to try a class before you sign up.. get yourself a mouthpiece (just in case) and some gym clothes and go have fun. If the gym wont give you a free class to try it out, simply move to the next one in the phone book.

The arguments that one is better than another as a broad statement is crap.. it all depends on what your looking for, and what you have available. Also keep in mind.. if an instructor or coach tells you something about their style that seems alittle far fetched.. it is.

2) As a beginner.. you will spend a considerable amount of the first several months simply learning basics.. that said, the group classes are usually alot cheaper than privates.. and most anyone in the group classes can help with basics.. so financially.. your better there. Most schools and gyms will be a “boys club” feeling.. It is not as much because of your gender as it is being new.. There is usually a high rotation of newbie’s through a gym, especially if it is full contact, resistive opponent type training. The general population will usually find a less physical hobby.. that said.. most students wont take the time to learn your name until you’ve been there for a month or so.

3)Not being in top shop is no problem.. A large % of people get into some form of martial arts strictly to help with physical fitness. Not being in top shape can easily be fixed by jumping in there and working out.

4)Training will help your confidence when faced with a dangerous situation, it will allow to think more clearly than the avg joe, and as a result may help you out of the situation. There are several things to remember though… (and most martial arts instructors are not going to like this points)

* If you have never been in said situation, you dont know how you will react.. no matter the amount of training.. you still may freeze if your mugged.. training will help, but there is no promises. I have actually seen some studies where police officers freeze the first time the are confronted.. and they go through extensive training and preparation.. the human mind is a funny creature and reacts diffrently for everyone when stressed.

*No martial art is a truely a cure all, self defense miracle. If a 120lb female with 15 years of martial arts experience is mugged by a 270 linebacker.. and the female tries to fight back, she will be hurt plain and simple.. She will, however, have a much better shot at staying calm and looking for a way out instead of getting confrontational. Now, on the flip side.. if a 150lb man with absolute no combative training, no atheltic ability and is strung out on crack comes out you.. you more than likely be able to create an avenue of escape. This learn to stop any attacker stuff.. simply marketing..

If personal safety is of concern.. you may ALSO want to look into some training in a rape safe type courses that focuses on personal awareness and situational awareness. If it truely focuses on awareness.. it will be more of a preventative type course.. how not to get in the situation. With a smaller part on how to escape these situations as safely as possible.

I am not telling you either of these to sway you away from training. I think everyone can gain from martial arts.. either the traditional or the non-traditional types.. there is something for everyone. I feel it helps with physical fitness, self confidence, awareness, self defense and many other benifits.

* And last.. if you doing this for either sport or self defense.. you need to find a gym that uses resistant training partners. Live sparring drills.. you dont need to be sparring on your first day, but after the basics are learned.. the only way to find out what works for you is against live, thinking and reacting, resisting opponents. Heavy bags and punching mitts are great for physical fitness and when used as a learning tool for techniques.. but lets face facts.. they dont fight back.

Good luck with it!! Find a gym you enjoy going to, and most importantly.. HAVE FUN WITH IT! There are alot of shaddy people in martial arts.. but there are alot of really good people as well.

btw, I am not one of the girls.. 🙂 But I am very experienced with the martial arts world and I figured I would through my 2cents in anyways.. it is the middle of the night, I am up.. and I am bored..

Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:19 am

1. do you recommend learning kickboxing for someone who has never trained w/ any other martial arts? if not, what is the starting point most of you began with?

I started with MMA. I think it’s probably the best thing you can do if you’re looking for self defense. Knowing your way around on the ground is great for a woman in self defense situations but I think it’s also important to know how to fight standing up also.

2. for it best to get personal lessons as opposed to taking a class? (i’ve have observed the classes at my gym, but it’s all men and..i just get a weird “boys club” feeling)

Personal lessons are great if you can afford them but it’s nice to have several different people to work with so you can learn how to deal with different body types and such.
    I began with private lessons (for about a month) and then jumped into the group class. I was the only girl for about a year. Don’t let the “boys club” bother you….I think it can make you better in the long run. You get used to working against people that are bigger and stronger than you.

3.i workout and i am fit, but i am not in peak physical condition. how much of an issue is that for a beginner?

Start training now and you’ll eventually get to where you want to be.

4. when compared to the “typical or average” non trained female, how much safer do you feel your training and physical abilities makes you if confronted with dangerous situations / violent crimes? uh – i’m asking this because the reason i want to train is for self defense.

Obviously, I don’t feel ten feet tall and bullet proof, but I feel safer than I did before I started training. That mostly has to do with the confidence training has given me….I don’t feel like I would be seen as a “target” any more.
    Try to find a gym that also does some practical knife defense. Getting a gun and some good firearms training is a great thing to add to your martial arts training also.

Where are you located? Maybe some one can recommend a good gym for you to try.

Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:51 am

Hmm on the self defense note… if you’re going to different gyms to check them out and tell them you want self defense… and you decide to watch a class… well- I’ve seen weirder things than schools adding in 15 min of self defense cheese to impress you and then you sign up, get on contract, and never see a self defense class ever again. I think the best way to do it is to walk in during the middle of class and be the quiet observer…. lol… of course, if you’re a women they’re going to make some assumptions.

I prefer Muay Thai (my bias)… and Jiu-Jitsu would also be extremely helpful if you’re interested in self defense. I went to a TKD school for a year and we did some self defense drills and I still didn’t feel like I could defense myself if I needed to- I think that for me I needed to learn what it felt like to actually hit someone and mean it. My experience has been that most bad situations for women occur with people they already know and that it’s HARD to decide to intentionally hurt someone, especially when women tend to internalize a lot of the blame for whatever’s happening. SO I started Muay Thai after I quit TKD because I wanted to fight, but I ended up realizing that although we didn’t specifically go over any self defense that I felt a lot more confident in my ability to defend myself after I started sparring. This is for three main reasons: 1) I know where to throw a shot to be most effective… this differs from person to person I think- I have pretty good aim for body shots so that I can take their breath away… my kicks are also really strong and I don’t think an attacker going to expect to get a nice MT kick to their inner thigh. Either way, you learn to see openings- and the benefits of primarily male gyms is that you’re fighting big guys. 2) I know what it’s like to be hit and it’s not as bad as I expected… I remember coming home from sparring the first day after getting POUNDED on and thinking, “Wow… I don’t hurt still…” It’s amazing what our bodies can handle- I was completely amazed at how temporary most of that pain is… one big ow when it happens and then nothing else (of course, there’s times when something you never expected to hurt DOES or times when you’re seriously injured- but I never realized my head could take that much beating, with or without headgear). 3) Because I realized that *I* was okay and got over it when I got hit, even if an injury lasted a little bit… I think that I would be more apt to defend myself against someone I knew because I would not be concerned about hurting them… and because I would also have confidence that my attempts would be successful and not just make him hurt me more- or do something to keep me from trying anything again. In sparring you hurt your training partners- people you like and who aren’t doing anything to hurt you other than for sport purposes… so if you can hit them, you can hit anyone. 🙂

On another note though, Jiu-Jitsu is probably the best form if you’re worried about defending against people you know. I say this because if someone you know is raping you, it’s a little difficult to throw a punch while they’re on top of you. Not a great angle, not going to have enough force to throw it and be successful. And chances are that it could be a little bit mutual up till the “him laying down on top of you” part and then you’re in a bad position when someone outweighs you by 50lbs or more to get him off when he doesn’t listen if you say no, if he goes further than you wanted him to, etc. BJJ teaches a lot of ways to get someone off so I think that would be more helpful.

Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:09 pm
    Pro Fighter

Wow, people wrote a lot.
    Welcome to the site! 🙂

1. Everyone has a prefered genre. I like brazilian jiujitsu and ground fighting better than kickboxing. Try out everything and just have fun with what you like. If you want to do Mixed martial arts or be rounded in general, you will have to train both kickboxing and ground fighting. but making sure you have fun will keep you coming back, you know? When I came back from my fight in december, I had been training kickboxing so much because I’m weaker at it….that I just turned to my instructor and said, “Just grapple with me!” 😛

I actually began with Tae Kwon Do. It was a slower less intense pace, and taught me how to punch and kick. but kickboxing’ll be more applicable.

2. You’ll have to get used to training with me. You could get some personal lessons to get the feel of stuff first, if you feel intimidated but large quanitites of me, which is normal.

3. You get in shape by training! 🙂 you’re supposed to go in not in the best shape! haha!

4. I feel much safer, but I still realize, like Tim said, that there are situations that I have to be realistic about, and if someone pointed a gun at me and asked for my wallet, I’d give it to him. BUT if somebody got me on the ground and tried to take off my pants, I’d triangle choke his ass.

Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:24 pm

thankyou all so much for answering my questions and for giving me such in depth info, i appreciate it very much.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®®

Forgot your details?