New to site

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

shelly
    Post subject: New to sitePostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:50 pm

HI

My name is Shelly and have visited the site for some time now I really like the topics and feel comfortable here and would like to ask the fighters some questions.

What first got you interested in MMA?

Where do you train? and how often?

What are the set weight classes?

What are some of the fighters in the women MMA?

I am sorry for all the questions I have a bunch more but I will wait for someone to answer them

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:59 pm
    Pro Fighter

Hi Shelly, welcome to the forum.

–I did Judo with no interest in MMA, then started Brazilian jiujitsu with no interest in MMA….then I started doing submission grappling without the gi and started to get interested in MMA because I was watching pride, and I started training with some cool people who liked and did MMA, so I was encouraged. 🙂 Now I do mma! 😛

During the school year I train in Amherst, Massachusetts, with Kirik Jennsss, out of New England Submission Fighting. During holidays and breaks, like now, I train in Boston with Boston Top Team jiujitsu (Joao Amaral) and Sityodtong Muay thai academy. I try and train 6 days a week, and have actually pulled it off these past two weeks. Usually I end up collapsing and taking a day off in the middle.

What are the set weight classes?
    for competition? hmmm….I guess 135 under and above for women…I’m always cutting to 135 T_T

Um, me- Roxanne Modafferi, Debi Purcell who’s site this is, Erin Toughill, Jen howe, some chick out in cali called Heather soderquist (spelling?) ;), well I’ll let them post if they want to.

what about you? 😀

Anthea
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:32 pm
    Pro Fighter

I’m a fighter but not MMA, I’m a Muay Thai girl so i hope you still want me to answer (too bad if you don’t cos i’m gonna answer anyway- i like questionnaires 😀 ).

What first got you interested in [MT]?
    Because i was sick of being little and weak. Now i’m little and strong 😀
    Also i like the idea of hitting things, and i’ve always been a bit of an exercise freak and love being challenged and pushed to my limits (although i dont’ believe in limits- well i haven’t found any yet!!). And i’m very very competitive.

NZ. When I’m training for a fight I train 6 days a week 1-2 times per day, plus running, plus weights (Friday is rest day). When i’m not training I’d probably train 4 times a week once a day plus extra runs and swims for *fun*. But because i have a low number of opponents in my weight class i like to be always ready for a fight because i never know what will come up and when so i dont’ ever really rest…

The other two questions you had probably aren’t as relevant for me to answer (even though i’m sure you’d be facinated with me rambling about the NZ MT fighters…).

I’m glad you feel comfortable here 😀

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:20 am
    Pro Fighter

Cool, so Anthea, you’ve done professional MT matches, or is there such a thing as amateur and professional? Do you get paid? That’s pretty cool! How’s the culture in NZ? Is it a big thing, like mma is in Japan, or is it underground?

Anthea
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:33 am
    Pro Fighter

Unfortunately professional MT matches in NZ are pretty much non-existant (I only know of about half a dozen professional fighters and they’re all male and mainly involved in the K1 series). I think if i wanted to get paid i’d definitely have to head off overseas 🙁

So yeah, whenever i talk about fights, they’re only amateur. Although if someone wants to pay me i certainly wouldn’t deny them hehe 😀 (accommodation and travel costs are usually covered by the promoter though).

MT in NZ is actually becoming quite *big* in terms of crowd numbers (not anything like rugby or cricket, but compared to other martial arts and boxing). We’d usually have a crowd of 300+ at our events (depends where it is and how much effort the promotor puts into promoting…). A lot of people still don’t understand it of course, but the K1 is aired on free tv here so i’m finding a lot more people are getting into it and actually offering intelligent thoughts and comments when i say what i do…

Lil Katai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:45 pm
    Pro Fighter

Yo yo yo!

I dunno. Ive always been a fighter all my life. I dont know what got me into likeing it. Fighting is just in my blood.

I train at a few local schools but will soon be back with a team (FINALLY) with Team MASH here in Detroit. And also at World Gym. I train 6 sometimes 7 days a week. (When Im not lazy. Which I have been for the past 1.5 years. But thats all going to change …… starting ….. yesterday 😀 )

Uh …… me! 8) …… Marie Colangelo that is ……

shelly
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:32 am

This is interesting to me and want to thank each one that answered my questions I would never get into a cage or ring just for the reason I hate to get punched or hit. I ordered a couple video’s from this site that way when I have a question it will not sound stupid

Oh yes one more question is it difficult to get fights?

Anthea
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:56 am
    Pro Fighter

For me, yes, i do have a bit of trouble getting fights 🙁 I fight at about 115pounds and it’s usually too light so i usually fight people heavier than me, but that’s not a huge problem as because i’m pretty tall (for my weight…lol i’m still considered short), it means i have reach advantage even if i’m giving away a bit of weight.

I think that the ideal weight to get lots of fights (i can only speak for MT in NZ though so probably not really relevant….) would be somewhere between 125-138 ish pounds. That seems to be the norm from my experience.

Anthea

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:32 pm
    Fightergirls Pro Fight Team

HI Shelly,
    I just wanted to say welcome to the board. Feel free to ask any questions you would like.

As for is it hard to get fights. for me it has been extremely difficult. I am not sure about everyone else though.

shelly
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:31 am

I am still confused about the weight classes is there a set weight or open class?

What are the different shows that have females on it?

I just was reading that MMA is illegal in some states what States do most of the fights?

Is there any rankings and where would I find that also who would be the best fighters in the world?

Jeff
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:09 pm

No weight classes officially exist the way they do in boxing. By convention, though, 125 lb and 135 lb divisions are the most commonly used classes.

Aside from mmaranks.com, I don’t know of any other serious effort to rank female fighters.

chad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:49 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

Hi shelly,
    I would not use that site to rank the fighters due to voting for yourself gets you to the top..

Here is how I would rank the 135lb class

#1 Jennifer Howe – outstanding record has one loss to Roxi during HooknShoot I want to guess that her record is 12-1 which I will give her the first place title due to the fact she has beaten almost everyone at 135

#2 Roxi M – Beat the undefeated Jennifer Howe great record 5-1 taking on big names in the 135lb class and has an attitude that wants to fight everyone.

#3 Debi Purcell 5-0 Undefeated has had some injuries that held her back from fighting last year willing to fight anyone

#4 Amanda buckner 4-2 good all around fighter and willing to fight big names

#5 Tara La Rosa 5-1 only loss was to Jennifer Howe good fighting skill.

I hope this will help you out…. i know that other people might rank them different and would like to see how everyone does it..

Chad

shelly
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:05 pm

Thank you Debi you have all been nice and I really enjoy reading and posting. I don’t fight and most likely never will but have respect for all you ladies that do.

Tim Osborne
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:29 am

Hey Shelly..
    I hope this helps a bit..

In order of your questions..

“I am still confused about the weight classes is there a set weight or open class?”

This is a tough one.. There is not a governing body over mma right now, that said, there is not a standard set of rules (including weight classes) that everyone uses. There are two that a lot of promoters have started to use though. The Nevada Athletic Commissions guidelines (which does nothing for females because the smallest weight class is 145 and below) and then Shooto. Also, many states have restrictions on the rules and weight classes. Some actually do use open classes.. Some use 135/below and above 135.. But it seems most tend to be following this for the ladies.. 115lbs, 125lbs, 135lbs, 145lbs, 155lbs, 170lbs, 185lbs, and 200lbs.. then above 200. In short.. it will depend on where the fight is, and who your fighting for.

“What are the different shows that have females on it? ”
    A lot of shows are starting to have female fights on it. Jeff Osborne (no, no relation) and Hook N Shoot have done a lot for the ladies.. He has at least one female fight per card. He has done 2 all girl cards now, and his next show, 3/4 in Columbus, OH has 3 on it right now.
    Other shows having girl fights (I am limiting this to the US shows for simplicity) King of the Cage, Ring of Combat, Ring of Fire, Reality Fighting, IFC, XFO, EC, AFC.. and I am sure there are others.. Where are you located? Maybe I can help you find some close to you so you can go watch.
    There are also a lot of grass roots show with girl fights on it, and I have been in communication with a lot of promoters recently.. There will be more and more shows with ladies on the card soon.

“I just was reading that MMA is illegal in some states what States do most of the fights? ”
    There are a lot of different laws.. almost so much so that every state has its own unique laws about the sport. Alot of states don’t allow it, but shows are held on Indian Reservations out of the reach of the state authority. A lot of states it is illegal in, but they turn the cheek and don’t pay attention. Some states wont allow pro, but the way the law is written can’t control you if it is amateur. Some states will allow MMA with modified rules i.e. no closed fist strikes on the ground, or limited amount of time can be spent on the ground. The following is a list of states where shows do happen.. this is not a list of states that is legal in though.. I don’t know the specific restrictions per state.
    Alaska, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, New Jersey, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Utah, New Mexico, California (Indian Reservations), Texas (limited rules), Arizona (limited rules), Michigan (reservations).. Kentucky (ammy only), Tennessee (ammy only), Missouri (not sure what the restrictions are)..

“Is there any rankings and where would I find that also who would be the best fighters in the world?”

With there not being a governing body.. there is not a standard ranking system either. There are many promotions that have a ranking within their own promotion.. for example Jen Howe is the 135lb champ for the IFC right now, now, this doesn’t mean she is #1 in the world.. (although, at least in my opinion, she is). Laura D’Aguste is the ROC 135lb champ right now.. there is no relationship between the IFC and ROC though.. so which one carriers more weight? (Usually the promoter with deeper pockets).

Shooto has a ranking system with their organization, but a show has to be affiliated with Shooto to be included in this..

http://www.mmaranks.com is the best we have right now. It is independent.. and uses a statistical formula to rank the fighters.. it also has a fans “voting” ranking. The bad part about this site.. at least when discussing the women, it doesn’t separate weights at all, so the 110lb girls are ranked with the 165lbers.. which is somewhat unfortunate.

Hopefully over the next few years, the sport will grow.. and eventually we will see a governing body that will unify the rules, weight classes and rankings.. it will help to legitimize the sport.. of course, it will bring the boxing corruption with it..

Tim Osborne
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:55 am

Chad.. I agree with a lot of your picks, I see a few differently though. Here is the way I see the 135lb class right now:

#1 Jen Howe. A fantastic fighter with tons of skill. She has had a great career so far, accruing a 12-1-0 record. She has only one blemish, against Roxy. We will see this rematch in about a month, at this time, Jen will either redeem herself, or Roxy will step into the #1 seat. She has notable wins over Buckner, LaRosa, Neff.. and a whole slew of others. I am interested in seeing the Roxy/Jen rematch.

#2 Roxanne Modaferri. An excellent competitor and a classy person.. 5-1-0 with win over Jen Howe. She has a ton of heart and doesn’t seem to be interested in backing down from anyone, including top competition. She has fights scheduled for Howe and D’Auguste in the next few months. Wins in both of these will put Roxy at the top of the list.

#3 (TIE) Tara LaRosa. 5-1-0 Great fighter, lots of skill. Her one lose came to Howe which was taken on short notice. She is a tough girl looking to climb to the top seat.

#3 (TIE) Laura D’Auguste. 5-0-1 fighter, with wins over Greer, Logan, Buckner and drawing with Buckner. She is talented and has a promising career. She will be fighting Roxanne mid March, I think it is a great match and will prove to be one of the most technical matches this year in women’s mma.

#5 Amanda Buckner. Tough as hell.. very talented fighter. She has a 4-3-1 record, losing to Howe and the larger Andrade. She also lost and drew with D’Auguste. She is game though and seems to be willing to mix it up with anyone in the game.

#6 Debi Purcell. Debi is talented and tough as hell. With a 5-0-0 record and talent that belongs at the top of the list. The only reason I do not have her seated higher is the lack of activity (last fight was ’02 or early
    ’03 I think). She has trouble getting fights, injuries etc.. I would love to see her back in the mix. She is truly one of the pioneers of the sport.

#7 I have tossed around including this or not.. Kelly Kobald. She lists herself as 135, so I will include her, although, I don’t think she has made that weight. Anyways, with a 11-0-1 record, she deserves some recognition. I think in order to get any higher on this list, she would have to come to 135 and stay there, and then beat, decisively one or more of the girls listed above.

#8 Megumi Yabushita. With a 5-2-0 record.. her loses coming from the larger Coenen and larger Toughill, She has beat Hooper, Modafferi and Toughill as well. She is noted for having some less than sportsmanlike techniques, but I am not basing this on personalities.. so I think she belongs in the top 10.

After this.. it gets tough to rank them. A lot of girls have great records at this weight, but have not fought anyone of note. Many girls have less than stellar records as well, but have fought some top competitors. I think the next year will mix some things up for the women.. there are many tough and talented girls starting to get in the ring.

Last edited by Tim Osborne on Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:24 am
    Instructor

#8 Megumi Fuji

I think you mean Megumi Yabushita (Smack Girl right?).

chad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

Good job Tim!!!!

Sorry if I or Tim missed some women in countries outside of the USA but I am trying to put something together…..I would like to post current records and rankings on fightergirls..

Chad

Tim Osborne
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:53 am

Thanks Rikki.. I did mean Yabushita… Fuji is fantastic.. just to small for that group. I guess that is what happens when you post on forums at 4am huh?

Chad.. that would be a great addition to site..

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:09 pm
    Instructor

Quote:
    I guess that is what happens when you post on forums at 4am huh?

Exactly!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?