This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

skiistari
    Post subject: PINK?! Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:03 pm

I just ordered myself a Koral.
    I’ll let you know what it’s like when I get it.

I avoid the “female” model gis because of the color. Even War Kimonos, which makes some of the most “pimp” colors for men can only come up with pink and magenta for women.

While I was shopping on the internet for my gi, a non-jiujitsu friend came in the room and said, “why are they all stupid?” I don’t know if I’d go so far as to say pink gis are “stupid” but they are certainly “bright”.

What do you all think of PINK?

ornery
    Post subject: Pink giPostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:39 pm

I thought I was the only one who hated this stupid pink gi thing. I rip all the pink patches off of mine (except the embroidered ones which are tough to tear out). Pink is for little girls, not grown ups. Plus I look really bad in pink. Glad to know I’m not the only one.

cosmic
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:20 pm

I’m not a fan of pink either.
    I recently purchased a female atama gi…..(they come in white, blue or pink). I chose blue (just for something a bit different since I’ve had white gi’s all my life).

I love it. I love the fit, its perfect. Don’t know whether it’s just coincidence that it fits me well, or if the female cut has something to do with the better fit.
    (I do not have another bjj gi to compare it to, as this is my first one).
    Not too keen on the pink in the patches and embroidery, but I don’t want to pull them off in case I ruin the gi. Besides, Im used to them now.

Let us know how your Koral gi is.

I wish Fightergirls made gi’s, now that would be awesome!

fem-ma
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:47 am

I object to pink. Well, not so much the colour, just the associated sterotyping that goes with it.

It just reinforces the girly, giggling, mentally impaired stereotype, which is more likely to get you treated like a fumbling fool.

Pankration_MuayThai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:04 am
    Pro Fighter

fem-ma wrote:
    I object to pink. Well, not so much the colour, just the associated sterotyping that goes with it.

It just reinforces the girly, giggling, mentally impaired stereotype, which is more likely to get you treated like a fumbling fool.
    I love pink. I’ve got pink board shorts, rashguards, thai shorts, gloves headgear….pretty much anything that I could get.

I like wearing it all, then going to class & tapping the guys that would want to “treat me as a fool” 🙂

fem-ma
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:45 am

That sounds like a pretty good approach! 😆

Julliette
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:58 am

Personally, I’m not a big fan of pink for myself. I too associate it with little girl stuff. (Must be a social conditioning.)
    Then again, I love the idea of tapping out the guys wearing a pink gi!

Who knows, maybe there are some guys out there that are miffed they don’t offer pink men’s gi’s? 🙂

Slightly off topic: Does anyone know where I can get Thai shorts with a larger waist that don’t hang down to my knees?

thatgirltasha
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:07 pm

When I first sent my eight year old daughter to class, I told her she might want to wear darker colors so no one (including the coach)labeled her, in their minds, as delicate.

But after she started choking out bigger boys; she started wearing pink.

She said it’s fine as long as she’s good enough that everyone knows it’s supposed to be ironic.
    Last edited by thatgirltasha on Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:57 am
    Instructor

thatgirltasha wrote:
    When I first sent my eight year old daughter to class, I told her she might want to wear darker colors so no one (including the coach)labeled her, in their minds as delicate.

But after she started choking out bigger boys; she started wearing pink.

She said it’s fine as long as she’s good enough that everyone knows it’s supposed to be ironic.
    That’s awesome!

I, too, hate pink. I just don’t like it on me! I’d much rather see girl stuff made in purple.

coslisa
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:16 pm
    Pro Fighter

hate pink 😡 and it does probably come from the ‘but girls are supposed to wear pink’ and I always seemed to try and be the opposite of what I was ‘supposed’ to do. I always have been stubborn.
    Purple is a good compromise but personally I like red.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:06 pm
    Instructor

coslisa wrote:
    Purple is a good compromise but personally I like red.
    Oh yeah, I love red – it’s just not a “girl” color.

skiistari
    Post subject: The Koral is in…PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:12 am

At my gym some of the guys actually /were/ talking about maybe buying pink gis. Only problem is you can’t wear them in most IFBJJ sanctioned competitions 🙂

So… the Koral… I finally ordered the “classic blue” Koral kimono, size A1 (I’m just under 5’5″ and about 130lbs or 59kg). I LOVE IT!!! It’s so much better than my old gi (cheap Kwon from the local martial arts shop). The shoulders are a little big, and I probably could have gone with an A0 for the top, but I don’t mind it since it doesn’t look stupidly baggy or anything.

This gi os SO comfortable. So comfortable, in fact, that I wore it as pajamas a few days ago when it was really cold up in Boston (I only have summer bedding there). Despite the softness of the material, it’s still extremely hard to grab for my opponents, partly because the collar is so thick and amazing, and partly because the pants fit so well.

Another girl at my gym as the red version of the same gi. It also looks very sharp, and neither of our gis have turned purple yet, so I think this is a good sign that the ink doesn’t bleed.

treelizard
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:35 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

I saw one of the ladies in a taijutsu class wearing a purple gi. I really liked it. Don’t think I could pull off pink… I like pink boxing gloves however!

Seth
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:20 am

I believe some Thai fighters wear it as a color of power and Judo Gene Lebell wore the pink gi as a trademark after a cleaning snafu.

It’s seen on occasion at grappling tournaments. A Canadian gal with a pink bordered gi closed out her divisions in Vegas. Kyra Gracie has posed in blazingly pink outfits but appears to train/teach in the white with the prerequisite 80 patches for BJJ, of course. She wore a pink rash guard on her way to taking the ADCC championship always being a few steps ahead of top notch competitors like Tara. Kyra did hurt her knee in the absolutes going against the Brazilian who smashed Kelly Paul and Kelly seemed to have previously smashed anyone she ever faced.

Queenpearl
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:35 am

I was also against pink for many years, I did not have anything pink in my wardrobe!

But then I thought what the heck, I’ll give it a chance, and I now have a few tops and t-shirts in pink.

Then on my last trip to Rio in February I saw the pink Gi’s, and considered getting one. One of my guy friends, who also trains, convinced me to get one, and I didn’t regret it.

I still think it takes a good fighter to wear a pink Gi, it’s just lame if you’re the girl in pink who everyone taps.

I got Silver in the Men’s division of a BJJ competition here back in March – while wearing my pink Gi, and the feeling of tapping out guys at the competition (and my club) while wearing pink, is just great!! The frustration on their faces when they’re losing is priceless 😉 😛 8)

thatgirltasha

Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:18 am

Back like 10 or 12 years ago when I trained with John Lewis; he would sometimes wear a pink gi. He said it was a gift from Gene Lebell who dyed it pink himself. As far I know, no one teased him about it ; )
    Last edited by thatgirltasha on Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pankration_MuayThai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:36 am
    Pro Fighter

Queenpearl wrote:

I still think it takes a good fighter to wear a pink Gi, it’s just lame if you’re the girl in pink who everyone taps.

I got Silver in the Men’s division of a BJJ competition here back in March – while wearing my pink Gi, and the feeling of tapping out guys at the competition (and my club) while wearing pink, is just great!! The frustration on their faces when they’re losing is priceless 😉 😛 8)
    😀 Agree!

skiistari
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:54 am

Haha YES! More men should wear pink.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?