pit fighter – a movie for MMA people

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

flyguy
    Post subject: pit fighter – a movie for MMA people PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:30 pm

This looks like possibly a very good movie. With a budget of only $450K it is a long way from million dollar baby and it may go straight to video ( but Fox are distributing it which will help).

The review below tells you a lot

http://www.fightergirls.com I’m posting it because it includes womens MMA.

The cast list is on http://www.imdb.com but I am not sure if the actresses actual ly did the fight scenes

Of course they should have come to this site to get the female leads!!

Still, worth checking out

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:32 pm
    Instructor

Sounds like it might be worth watching.

Hook
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:59 am

Here is part of an interview on: http://www.fightergirls.com KFC: What is your stance on women fighting in movies? Although there are a large number of very good female fighters, do you think it is often just thrown in for looks, and that looks can win out over ability?

JJ: The huge rush of female action heroes is fun, complete nonsense, but titillating fun. We all enjoy watching them, when it’s done well. I enjoyed working on Charlie’s Angels—making those three look competent, but it’s a different style of movie to what I want to become known for. The sad fact is unless she’s built like a Soviet shot-put player, there are not many women who would stand a chance in a fight against an even, moderately-competent male who had his mind set on evil deeds.

Whilst shooting a documentary on oil rigs in a rough section of the north of England, I saw a two hundred-pound bear of a woman beat the living tar out of a bouncer. Everyone was too shocked to do anything until she started stomping him and I think they then used a wooden club on her. I watched from my hotel room window. There was still blood there in the morning. So there are tough girls out there, don’t get me wrong. Just, they don’t often look like Carrie Anne Moss.

Al I have to say at this point is Hmm.. They are comparing us fighting against men and saying that there is no way that we could fight. That a Trained female fighter couldn’t take care of herself in a fight. Or is this just what I am getting out of it? ❓ 😈

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:10 am
    Instructor

Quote:
    That a Trained female fighter couldn’t take care of herself in a fight.

I think that’ s probably taking it a little out of proportion.

He says:
    Quote:
    The huge rush of female action heroes is fun, complete nonsense, but titillating fun.

See Milla Jovovich in Resident Evil, Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider.

He says:
    Quote:
    there are not many women who would stand a chance in a fight against an even, moderately-competent male who had his mind set on evil deeds.

Meaning that your average women vs. a man her size or bigger who has some training and determination is going to lose. I think this is probably true for most women.
    Ladies who train have a bit of an advantage but think about when you spar with a guy who is your size or bigger that’s been training for as long as you have. Yeah, you can get some good shots on him but if he was determined to beat/rape/kill you I’d bet you’d have a hard time.
    Just my opinion.

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:08 am

That’s a very good point Rikki.

Think about some of the “badass” female heros in movies. They are hardly believable. Milla Jovovich weighs what, 105 lbs?

My girlfriend just got the Wonderwoman box set (from her brother..don’t ask). I was watching it with her and realizing how out of shape wonder woman was in the old TV show. VERY different than the comic book. That metal brazier and tight spandex tries to make her look fit, but she really doesn’t look athletic at all (the actress).

That is why I like films like Million Dollar baby (which I haven’t seen yet).. It has more realistic characters. There is some realism to their actions in the film.

What really bothers me, though, is the insecurity of men, that they have to CONSTANTLY compare female fighters to themselves in order to place value upon female fighters. I’ve heard all kinds of arguments on my forum about why women should not fight. One common argument is that “fighting is about showing the best of the best…and a female would never beat a male, so they will never be the best”. My argument to his is “so that means that you would NEVER watch a fighter who weighs less than 215 lbs, because there is no way a smaller fighter can beat a 250 lbs champion?” They usually don’t respond to that. Sad.

Hook
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:36 pm

Knockout , I think that the insecurity that men have is what came through to me in the interview, and I think that is what bugs me the most. I have to admit I am quick to bring out my claws when womens qualifications as a fighter are questioned. I am not saying that you put the average woman in a fight with a man and she would win, I am just saying I think that women are too easily dismissed as being fighters and superheros.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:02 pm
    Instructor

Quote:
    I think that women are too easily dismissed as being fighters and superheros.

I agree with you there and I’m also pretty quick to bite someone’s head off if I think they are insulting women fighters. I’ve been trying to work on that lately (I’ve taken a lot of things the wrong way before).

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:29 am

Quote:
    I am just saying I think that women are too easily dismissed as being fighters and superheros.

Realistically too, how many MORE obstacles must women overcome to become fighters? (among other things) That takes a lot of “strength” that maybe men don’t recognize. So yeh, we might not be able to outmuscle a guy, but men have so many more advantages in everything they do that for a woman (or other minorities) to be compared is like saying “Well that rich kid is SO much smarter than that kid from the projects! Rich people are therefore smarter…” No… sorry…. the rich kid went to the private school and then his daddy/mommy put him through college… the poor kid had to overcome EVERY obstacle (there are a lot) in the way of his getting to college, then he found a way to pay his way through college, and he managed to graduate and have a successful career- sorry, that kid had to be 100x as intelligent and creative as the other kid in order to succeed. The award goes to the one who did the most with the resources he had available to him. Same for women in fighting- we don’t have as many resources available to us in order to succeed… not a lot of female rolemodels in the sport, not a lot of support from family and friends, women typically take on multiple roles (mother, student, caretaker, wife, etc) that they ALSO have to fulfill, not many trainers who have tons of experience training women, not a lot of women in their gyms, biases of guys at the gym (or elsewhere), etc. So for us to succeed makes us even MORE admirable than the men (in my opinion) because the guys have SO many less obstacles in their way—- so what if they’re stronger than us physically? They didn’t have to do half as much to get where they are….

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:25 pm
    Fightergirls Pro Fight Team

Dear Mr Johnson
    My name is Debi Purcell. I am a professional MMA NHB fighter, living and
    fighting out of southern California. congrats on the final production of
    Pit fighter. I am writing you. as I read an interview you did recently
    making a statement about female fighters.

(KFC: What is your stance on women fighting in movies? Although there are a
    large number of very good female fighters, do you think it is often just
    thrown in for looks, and that looks can win out over ability?

JJ: The huge rush of female action heroes is fun, complete nonsense, but
    titillating fun. We all enjoy watching them, when it’s done well. I enjoyed
    working on Charlie’s Angels­making those three look competent, but it’s a
    different style of movie to what I want to become known for. The sad fact
    is unless she’s built like a Soviet shot-put player, there are not many
    women who would stand a chance in a fight against an even,
    moderately-competent male who had his mind set on evil deeds. )

I am here to tell you. there ARE attractive women out there (me) lol, and
    some others that can more then hold their own against a moderatly competent
    male. and I weigh 135 lbs and do not look like shot putter . I have been
    training in fighting arts for about 20 years. and I have NO problem beating
    a guy who outweighs me by 60 or 70 lbs that is untrained. I have put it to
    practice many times in my training as I do full contact fighting on a
    regular basis. I am just writing this to let you know that WE are out
    there. here is a link to pics and a link to a highlight reel of some my fights just incase you doubt me 😉

Thank you for reading this
    sincerely
    Debi Purcell

Last edited by debi on Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

debi
    Post subject: his replyPostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:26 pm

Debi,

Thank you so very much for your email, I really, truly agree with you.
    I also admire you taking the time to respond so eloquently to my chauvinistic sounding statement.
    Sometimes I say things that make me want to shrivel up into a ball when I read them later, you caught me out, and power to you.
    Mea Culpa, “my bad”!
    I think, and bare with me here, what I was trying to articulate was, that I am infuriated by watching poorly conceived and executed fight sequences involving female fighters, where the scenarios pictured, are simply unbelievable.
    Of course there are terrific fighters out there, who are elegant, feminine and dangerous. Lucia Ryker, whom I know for one, and now of course, yourself.
    I hope you can read through my inexperience in the interview format, and exploring between the lines, share my enthusiasm with the poorer choreographed fights, which not only frustrate me, but must surely exasperate you.
    I think the gauntlet is in your hands now, and you should certainly get out there and succeed, not only to prove me wrong, but to let the movie going public know how exciting and cool it is to watch a talented and beautiful fighter at the top of her game.

I wish you the very best of luck, and again apologize for what is honestly a misunderstanding, and say that I hope we get a chance to work together at some stage so that in meeting me you will realize that I’m not prone to sweeping smile statements in person.

Sincerely yours,

Jesse Johnson.
    PS. I actually have a fight between two pro-female fighters in “Pit Fighter”, my stipulation to Fox, who requested it, was that it be a proper fight, not two bimbos mud wrestling

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:53 am

Quote:
    PS. I actually have a fight between two pro-female fighters in “Pit Fighter”, my stipulation to Fox, who requested it, was that it be a proper fight, not two bimbos mud wrestling

hahahaha… nice to see his response, thanks Debi! 🙂

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:26 am

heh, dl_angel

I was completly suprised to get a response. and when I asked him if he minded that I post his response. he answered that he would be honored.

Deb

Bella
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:07 am

That is great about the women fights

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:42 am
    Instructor

Quote:
    I actually have a fight between two pro-female fighters in “Pit Fighter”, my stipulation to Fox, who requested it, was that it be a proper fight, not two bimbos mud wrestling

That’s pretty cool of Fox!!

Hook
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:29 pm

Debi,

Thank you for have the voice for me and bringing it to this man’s attention that there are women like you that are out here and that are superhereos everyday. You made a good firm point. 😉 I am so proud.

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:52 am

Cool Stuff!

I bought a 2 VCD movie in Philippines (yeah more popular for Filipinos hehehe)
    for one dollar.

The Movie called Shadow Glories, where Eddie ‘Killer’ Kuzinski
    and CJ Keyes square off against eachother.

Didn’t check it yet, but I’m excited! LOL

http://www.fightergirls.com Top

chad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:00 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

Never know maybe he will come to the site and hire some fighters here to do a movie….. I really think that it was nice that he took the time to write back to you

Chad

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:25 am

Hook,
    Thanks LOL but there a tons of women here who are superheros everyday I should have told him that, I just got a little carried away 😳 in braggin about myself lmao

Hook
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:04 am

Executioner,

That sounds like a good movie to me. I am a sucker for Martial Arts movies though. I’d watch it though. Some sound really cheesy this one didn’t it.

Man my little two sentances there really didn’t help that movie out a whole lot. 😳 Great. Oh well.

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:51 am

Hook wrote:
    Executioner,

That sounds like a good movie to me. I am a sucker for Martial Arts movies though. I’d watch it though. Some sound really cheesy this one didn’t it.

Man my little two sentances there really didn’t help that movie out a whole lot. 😳 Great. Oh well.

Those movies are mostly cheesy and funny!
    But that’s why I liked them!
    Also like Bloodsport and some Bruce Lee stuff!

Here another tip!
    If someone has this one, just let me know!!

GIRLS FIGHT TONITE
    Sophia is one knockout of a street fighter whose about to show the boys of East L.A. what it really means to fight like a girl! Home schooled in physical violence, Sophia’s rage is a time bomb ticking inside her, until she discovers “The Pit” – a place where raw aggression is rewarded in cash, and killer instincts create champions. But in this underworld of hard-core combat, the odds are stacked against a girl with minimum fight experience. If you want to stay in this game, you’ve got to fight dirty, because, three strikes and you’re out… if you’re not dead!

http://www.fightergirls.com and this one I have on VHS!

Angel Fist

An assassination in the Philippines is caught on film by kickboxer Christy, which leads to her death at the hands of radicals intent on disrupting peace talks. Her sister Kat, a Los Angeles police officer, comes to Manila to try and bring justice to the people responsible. She enters the kickboxing tournament in order to get closer to the nefarious agents, and begins unravelling the twisted plan while narrowly evading the wrath of the Death Brigades

http://www.fightergirls.com

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?