pulled plug on “ultimate fighting” in BOSTON

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

FightingFury44
    Post subject: pulled plug on “ultimate fighting” in BOSTON PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:42 pm

BOSTON – City officials have pulled the plug on an “ultimate fighting” event and are threatening to ban the kicking and punching bouts altogether, saying they incite crowds and threaten public safety.

ADVERTISEMENT

Police and licensing officials blocked a competition planned for this Saturday even though ultimate fighting is legal and is regulated by the Massachusetts Boxing Commission.

“This is not something the city of Boston is going to sanction at this point,” said Patricia Malone, head of the city’s licensing department.

The fighting is “extremely dangerous” and “incites the crowd. It’s definitely a public safety issue,” she said.

Ultimate fighting features brawlers inside caged rings. Fights are won by knockout or submission, which usually occurs when a participant is trapped in a dangerous hold. It is legal in most states, but is banned in Illinois and St. Paul, Minn.

“It’s basically a mix of 10 styles of fighting that are all legal,” said Pat Schultz, 29, a participant from Wareham. “I think the sport might be getting a bad rap from people who don’t know about it.”

Six hundred tickets were sold for Saturday’s event, promoter Mike Varner said. He plans to move the event to a facility in Taunton. “We’re licensed. It’s regulated. We have insurance,” he said.

Ultimate fighting supporters say no one has died in a sanctioned bout. However, at least 10 people have died in “Toughman” amateur boxing matches since that competition started 25 years ago.

Just this weekend, Daniel Quirk, 22, was fatally injured while taking part in a pro wrestling event called Ultimate Championship Wrestling, also in Taunton. Authorities said Quirk, of Shelton, Conn., was outside the ring and attempted to catch another wrestler diving from the top rope. He was knocked off his feet and hit his head on the floor, police said.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:39 pm
    Pro Fighter

The second I walk in the door, my dad throws the Boston Herald at me with the article in it, and then it’s on the evening news. T_T I wrote a nice letter and am going to include a pic of me and twelve year old amber posing with our fightergirl shirts.

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:54 am

Well I hope my parents miss that news headline *sighs* I love the “incites the crowds” part… I have seen less friendly crowds at church. the first fight i ever went to, everyone was all happy, coming up to congratulate my friend who fought… And WHY are they talking about wrestling as if the word “ultimate” classifies the sport as the same thing?

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:54 pm
    Pro Fighter

I would be very excited of any fightergirls would like to write to the boston office and tell them that mma is good? I sent a letter and a pic of me and that 12 year old girl amber I posted a while ago, to this address: Patricia Malone
    City of Boston Director of Consumer Affairs
    Room 801, Boston City Hall
    One City Hall Plaza
    Boston, MA 02201

ArtGuy
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:05 pm

Ultimate fighting supporters say no one has died in a sanctioned bout. However, at least 10 people have died in “Toughman” amateur boxing matches since that competition started 25 years ago

That right there is flat irresponsible. The only reason for the toughman reference is to make the MMA supporters appear dishonest by equating the two.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?