Question about Concussions

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

TheMissingLink
    Post subject: Question about Concussions Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:46 am

How many of you have had a concussion while sparring/fighting? How many have had more than one? Do any of you worry about any long-term effects from concussions? I’m mainly asking because I got a concussion last week from sparring. We were going pretty hard, but I know I have been hit a lot harder before. I must have got caught just right. This is the first concussion I have had from fighting. I did have a couple from various things when I was younger, but this one has really made me question all the hits to the head I take now. Any thoughts and/or input from everyone would be greatly appreciated.

TheMissingLink
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:39 pm

Well give me some feedback here guys. Does nobody get concussions or does everybody get them so often this is a silly question?

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:56 pm
    Instructor

I’ve never had a concussion. We’ve got one guy in our gym who (through some kind of bad luck) has had a couple and he still gets in there and trains. But I know nothing about them and wouldn’t know what to tell you. Sorry I’m no help. 🙁

TheMissingLink
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:13 am

Thanks anyway Rikki.

Pankration_MuayThai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:42 am
    Pro Fighter

I’ve had 2. The first, I blacked out a bit and don’t remember what happened for about half an hour after. I was still conscious though. I felt sick for about a week. I rushed back into things and fought again 2 weeks later. Then fought again 4 weeks after that. I thought I had recovered. I got caught KO’d. It was quite severe since I hadn’t looked after the last one. I was unconscious for awhile. I had bad head aches & dizziness for about a month. I didn’t spar or train too hard during that time.

I definitely recommend letting yourself heal. Be very careful for at least a month. See a doctor too.

Now it’s 5 months later and I’ve totally recovered.
    Last edited by Pankration_MuayThai on Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheMissingLink
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:00 am

Thanks for the advice Pankration.

themannon
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:11 pm

I played division 1 football in college and through high school and college I’d estimate that I’ve had 6 or 8 concussions, 3 of them severe. The reason I don’t know the exact number is that, with the minor ones, you dont always know as you always have something of a headache after a game.

I’ve never had one from fighting. I echo the above comments – take care of yourself. After you’ve had one concussion the subsequent ones come easier, ESPECIALLY if you dont allow the prior one to heal. You’ll end up with concussion syndrome and your career as a fighter will be over.

I’ve heard that women are more susceptible to concussions because your skulls aren’t as thick as mens or something (all y’all knew men were more thickheaded ;).

Take care of yourself.

scarce
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:04 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

in fighting – concussions are no joke///
    it is an injury to your brain
    always have a doc check you out/
    thats why i do not recommend boxing

and i do not recommend you receiving
    too many strikes to the face
    …the chin ,,,,
    be careful….one good uppercut
    and it is lights out///
    …randy couture quit ufc/
    too many concussions,,,,2 or 3

could be a sign ..to hang it up// sorry.just giving info////

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:18 pm

that’s why he popular mma ground and pound is SO irresponsible.

Just a matter of time……..

TheMissingLink
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:01 am

Thanks for the input everyone. Some very good information. My symptoms seem to be getting better everyday now. I talked to a sports medicine doctor and he said I could go back to contact 2 weeks after all my symptoms are gone, at rest and during exertion. He said I could get some symptoms back when I start exercising again. I planning on getting back at it as soon as I’m healed and hopefully I won’t get another one. If I do I guess I’ll have to reconsider my “recreational activities”. Thanks again for everyone’s help.

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:21 am

yea – brain cells don’t grow back

BrawlerBitch
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:46 pm

Ive had 5 concussions in my life from other sports. The last one was the worst and I doo feel a bit dumber & more forgetful.

I figure it was worth the adventures & don’t worry about it being a serious problem.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?