Question about Japan for Roxanne Modafferi

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Martial Arts Fan
    Post subject: Question about Japan for Roxanne Modafferi PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:29 pm

Roxanne, I have a question for you since I understand you’ve lived in Japan for a quite a while. What’s the most popular martial art in Japan? For example here in North America I would say there are more karate dojos than anything else. Judo and Taekwondo come in a close second. In cities that have less than 30,000 people it’s hard to find anything else other than these three martial arts. And in small towns under 10,000 people usually karate is the only martial art that is taught. What about in Japan? Is traditional karate the most popular martial art as well? Followed by judo in second place? I know MMA in Japan is very popular, I recently read the last K1 event was watched live by well over 30 million japanese. Close to 1 in 3 tuned in to the K1 live PPV on New Year’s Eve. Still I doubt MMA or kickboxing would be the most popular martial art in Japan. Still if the japanese like MMA so much, it would be nice to know whether karate is still as popular as it used to be since karate has done very poorly in MMA.

Thanks in advance Roxanne.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:41 pm
    Pro Fighter

I haven’t done any “research” on this, but I can tell you my initial reaction from just being in Tokyo for a year.

I’d say that Judo is the most popular martial art. It has a very high status that’s lasted a very long time. Judo is very traditional and has been around a long time, even though I’m sure it’s grown and improved over time, as many martial arts have. One big thing is that Judo is a gym class in almost all schools. So like every kid has taken at least a few years of Judo, which means a huge percentage of the population knows at least a little bit!!
    News from Judo competitions, women’s as well as men’s, are on the evening and morning news, and in the sports section of the newspaper. My host mother knew their names like we know baseball player’s names.
    Judo black belts come into our BJJ class to practice very frequently, and we know it immediately when we did sparring.
    My BJJ class was set up so that in the first part, our teacher (a Yuki Nakai brown belt) showed Judo throws, which we practiced, and then we ronduri-ed. (sparred). THEN he showed BJJ ground techniques, which we practiced, and then sparred. That was kind of like my old Judo class in the states, haha, except with BJJ ground stuff.

People are also really into kickboxing. People join it for fun and to be healthy, like they do here in the States. (I see you’re from Canada. what you wrote about ‘karate’ sounds similar to the states) “Gyms” with weight rooms, saunas, etc” usually have some kind of kick boxing or cardio kickboxing class. I never just “walked by” the front of an aikido or karate dojo in Tokyo. But then again, I’m in a huge city, so I’m sure it’s different in other parts of the country.

MMA also has a huge popularity, but the fan base is bigger than the people who actually want to do it.

If you want me to expound on anything, just ask! 🙂

Martial Arts Fan
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:03 pm

Thanks Roxanne for the information.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:35 pm
    Pro Fighter

anytime!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?