Question for Rox21 : Training in Japan

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

KnockOut2
    Post subject: Question for Rox21 : Training in JapanPostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:48 am

What was training like in Japan?
    Who did you train with?
    You mentioned training with “Jetto” in the G-Shooto thread.
    Who else?

Report this post Post details Warn user Delete post
    Top E-mail Edit post Reply with quote

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:49 am

Was it easy to find a place to train?
    Were you accepted well? Was there resistance?

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:32 pm
    Pro Fighter

I trained in at a gym/dojo called “Cross Point” in Kichijouji. It’s affiliated with Paraestra Tokyo, and the two instructors are Yuki Nakai brown belts. Satoshi Kotani (known for fighting pro BJJ), Naoya Uematsu (known for fighting shooto), Genki Yamaguchi (known for kickboxing). well, all the guys on this page. This is a part of my gym’s homepage.

http://www.shibukichi.com/inst/index.html
    Uematsu is my hero. 増田博正(MASUDA HIROMASA) instructed kickboxing at Shibuya which I didn’t go to as much because it was farther from my place, but if you put his name in google.com a crap load of pics’ll come up because he rules.

Training was excellent and pretty similar to training here as far as training goes. We warmed up together, (the late commers got yelled at), the teacher showed a technique, we did it with a partner, then sparred stand up and then just ground word. Kickboxing classes went the same. The women I trained with were Jet Izumi, Yukie (a BJJ purple belt!), and a blue belt woman who trains and competes BJJ named Kazuko Akikawa. I’m trying to make a website with pics eventually. Crosspoint opened up another location in Shibuya with nicer facilities just before I left, so I trained there for a while.

anyways, was I accepted? When I first went into the gym one day in between classes and explained I wanted to do kickboxing and BJJ, Kotani-sensei politely explained about the “kick-diet” class, which turns out later was like aerobics for women. LOL My japanese sucked back then, so I blurted out something like “Is easy class? I want a hard class! I 4, no 5 years train BJJ !!” There were a few other foreigners (male) in the kickboxing class, and I think we were more easily accepted because we spoke Japanese. Sort of…I think they liked me especially because I tried REALLY hard both in training and learning the language. When I had broken my arm, I still came into class and chatted and asked questions about translations I was working on.

It’s important to just be earnest and try and leave your attitude by the door. If you have an attitude, that is. 🙂 I always tried to fit in and it got me big points.

About how easy it was to find a place to train…I had obtained a list from a few people about places to train in tokyo. I didn’t know places very well, so I was able to visit Cross point and then “guttsman gym” within a week, so I chose cross point over guttsman because guttsman didn’t have BJJ. But crosspoint only had one day of submission grappling…so it was a trade off. (I felt bad for the single girl at guttsman at the class I watched…when they were pairing off to do kickboxing drills, of COURSE the odd person out was the girl, so she just kicked the bag. That pissed me off because I was sure that’d be me one day. what the hell, that happened to me at cross point sometimes but I dunno. I wonder what would have happend if I chose that place instead! Crosspoint had a more welcoming atmosphere, and turns out everyone (sort of) were friends/good aquaintances. only a few guys spoke english a little, but it was all around a great experience.

I’m planning on visiting them after the competition! 😀 I’m very excited!!

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:00 pm

Gee Roxy…if you don’t want to answer my question, all you gotta do is say so!

jus kiddin 🙂

Cool stuff….so how many active fighters did you train with? You mentioned that the training was very similar. Was the style very different? A lot of people say that Japanese fighters often have a style that is explosive and less methodical and calculated. That is not to say that they don’t use combinations in their moves or don’t use strategy. I’m sure they do. Could you give some feedback on the style difference? I read a review on onthemat.com of Japanese gyms. It was a very interested read. Here it is..

Of course, like usual when visiting onthemat.com, you can ignore the parts of “how to pick up chicks”.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?