shin splints

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

k0conute
    Post subject: shin splints Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:34 pm

I’ve been having these shin splints coming back on my right leg. The first time they came was on the outer right side of my shin and I bought ankle wraps to wear to practice to help my ankles so they don’t roll. It helped for a little while, but I feel them coming back, but on the inner left side of my shin. I stretch my calves and my tibial muscle before practice. I just don’t understand how to stop this. I used to run track back in high school and I know how excruciating these shin splints can get and I don’t want it to get to that point. Do you guys have any ideas or experience in handling shin splints? THANKS!

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:02 am
    Pro Fighter

“shin splints” covers a number of different things, so it’s hard to give good advice over the internet. Really, you need to get a professional to take a look at it.

It’s usually related to the mechanics of the leg and foot. Often dropped arches can be a problem – if you’re doing any running or skipping, try to get trainers with good supports, and maybe consider orthotics if this applies to you.

Training barefoot is more of a problem. You might consider wearing wrestling boots with a foot support in while they heal up. Icing your shins after training can help to reduce any inflammation and speed the recovery process.

Another thing you can try is to start looking at the muscle balance around the hip, strengthening the gluteals specifically, but once again this is best done with someone experienced to give you advice based on your individual case.

Good luck. 🙂

skiistari
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:40 am

Rosi’s advice is obviously WAY better than anything I could give… but to put it simply, you can’t just stretch… you HAVE to strengthen.

I used to practice kung fu in bare feet and developed awful pain when standing up from a squatting position or sitting on the floor. It persisted for about 2 months before I finally got some advice on strengthening exercises. It went away within 2 weeks!

k0conute
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:13 am

Thank you for your advice! I am flat footed and I pointed some things that I was concerned about with my coach. He said I had muscle imbalance and weak ankles. So I’m going to try to concentrate more on my footing and hit the weights to correct my muscle imbalance in my legs…. Also I am knocked knee’d (not necessarily pigeon toed because my toes point forward as normal, but my knees point inward) do you think that has contributed to my shin splints?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?