slightly off topic but is FILA about to meet MTV?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

flyguy
    Post subject: slightly off topic but is FILA about to meet MTV? PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:30 pm

There are some new photos on http://www.fightergirls.com which always has a high standard of action shots.

One set is from the california submision meeting but the other is from the Long Island beach wrestling tournament last weekend.

To explain – about a year ago FILA which runs amateur freestyle worlswide suddenly annouced it was launching beach wrestling. Given FILA’s staid image this was received with some derision. Their line of thought was pretty clear from the rules which said men to wear swim trunks and women to wear one or two peice suits. Now I wonder who was watching beach volleyball!!

FILA did have a logic as they are trying to stop wrestling sliding in popularity. So beach wrestling it was.

An event has ben held in Japan and last weekend on a beach on Long Island. Now it is easy to be cynical but consider that that the USA Today paper covered the build up to this event and ASICS sponsored it despite no shoes bening worn!

By all accounts a big crowd watched the tournament. Beach wrestling may go nowhere although it looks like fun but how many legitimate Grapping/MMA events get this level of publicity – it shows what some hype can acheive.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:49 pm
    Instructor

Isn’t MMA achieving that hype now with “The Ultimate Fighter”? I mean, Forrest Griffin was on Spike tonight with Dana White during Bloodsport and Chuck Liddell was on that show Inked on A&E the other night. They were also showing clips of the Griffin / Bonnar fight in Times Square right after the last season of TUF. Sounds like hype to me.

mma
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:57 pm

WTF. They’re making a mockery out of the sport of wrestling! Afterall, they wouldn’t have boxers box underwater or anything unorthodoxed like that, so why don’t they respect the sport of wrestling and not make them grapple in bathing suits on the beach! Its these kind of activities that people just come out to watch to get an erection, not to actually watch the technique. FILA is always messing up and mismanaging the sport. Their rules made the Olympics so boring to watch. I personally find this whole beach wrestling BS insulting.

luvmachine
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:35 pm

This is the story. Wrestling has been doing shitty as far as a “money maker” (what a joke) for the olympics. Beach volleyball is getting so big, so lets make beach wrestling!!!

I’m sorry but the only reason beach volleyball is getting so big is atractive women jiggling in bikinis. Thats it.

mma
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:04 am

They might as well sanction women’s mud wrestling if they want to draw fans.

How bout regular volleyball? How’s the normal kind doing? The kind that’s actually a sport.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:29 pm
    Instructor

Quote:
    so why don’t they respect the sport of wrestling and not make them grapple in bathing suits on the beach! Its these kind of activities that people just come out to watch to get an erection, not to actually watch the technique.

Singlets are much more revealing than board shorts!

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:39 pm
    Pro Fighter

I emailed mtv per a friend’s recommendation because she told me that they were doing a documentary on female wrestler’s lives? was I wrong? they never got back to me.

Seth
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:53 pm

Slightly off topic to this thread, but the photographer for the web site mentioned in the first post is fantastic. The Action shots at ADCC are crisp and clear. The blazing pace at of the matches at such a high skill level can make video appear blurred.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?