SMACK GIRL 2/15/06 results

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Rox21
    Post subject: SMACK GIRL 2/15/06 results PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:23 am
    Pro Fighter

http://www.fightergirls.com

Yabushita vs Buckner
    result: Buckner won by guillotine round 1, three minutes and something
    (quick comment: both fighters came out strong. It was exciting. Strikes were hard, Buckner looked sharp. Megumi did indeed try and throw, but Amanda countered well, took the back, stuff happened, sunk the guillotine so fast that I missed actually seeing it)

Purcell vs Akano
    result: Akano by decisoin
    Debi and Akako stalked each other a lot, with Debi always chasing, always advancing. Debi landed tons of hard low, middle and high kicks, along with some nice punches, but failed to follow up with combinations. Akano sometimes managed to close, but Debi successfully pushed her away and managed to avoid lots of throws. She was Judo-thrown a few times, took Akano’s back once, but Akano did better on the ground, and went for a bunch of arm bars Debi had to scramble and work hard to defend.

okay so here’s the official thing:
    KM Maki (Rise fight club) vs Mizuho Kawasaki (SOD Kakutougi)
    Maki won by decision

Yumiko Sugimoto vs Miki Morifuji (T-Blood)
    Maki won by unanimous decision

Seri (SOD Kakutougi) vs Akiko Naito (Wajitsu Keishukai RJW)
    Seri won unanimous decision

Yakayo Hashi vs Kazuna Moroboshi
    Hashi won unanimous decision

Tama-chan (SOD Kakutougi) vs Lee Heejin (CMA Korea Kwank BJJ)
    Tama-chan by arm lock 1 minute and 48 seconds into round 2

WIndy Tomomi (pancrasism) vs Cha Sunjin (Korea)
    Windy won TKO 3 mins and 47 seconds into round 1

Debi Purcell (Ruas Vale Tudo) vs Hitomi Akano (AACC)
    Akano won via unanimous decision

Hisae Watanabe (Free) vs Ichigo (unknown)
    Hisae won KO 31 seconds into round 2

Megumi Yabushita (SOD Kakutougi) vs Amanda Buckner (Academy of MMA.Boulder)
    Buckner won via guillotine about 3 mins into round 1

Report this post Post details Warn user Delete post
    Top E-mail Edit post Reply with quote

chad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:48 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

Thanks Roxi!!! Amanda won a title correct??? Hard loss for Debi but good to see her back in action..

Chad

Report this post Post details Delete post

Erin T
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:57 am
    Pro Fighter

Thank F’n God Megumi got beat….

I am so sorry to hear about Debi though. Dammit. Oh well, shit happens and she’ll know where she wants to go from here.

CaptainBad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:26 am

Was Debi’s loss a result of her earlier injuries? Or maybe because she hadn’t competed in a long time?

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:47 am

I’ve yet to see Akano fight but from her Sherdog record and Rox’s description she sounds like a slick ground fighter. What weight was the fight at? I presume it was either a contract weight or 58kg. Either way, Japan might have a new star @ the higher weights to replace Kubota. I see she’s also from AACC, which we should be reminded is seriously becoming a VERY top camp in Japan: Megumi Fujii, Masatoshi Abe, Shinichi Kojima, (unfortunately) Hiroyuki Abe [ 🙁 ], and now Akano. Dopeness

Its good to see Yabushita has been dethroned, she deserves it. Buckner now enters my Top 10 from my Top 15

Hisae pwning some random person was expected. GO WEST! Oh, and same for Tomomi. Both of those two need to be aligning themselves for title fights: Hisae for Shinashi, especially now that she’s training with Tsuji, and Tomomi for Tsuji, though I don’t think her ground game has improved to handle Tsuji’s intensity.

Morifuji trains at the same camp as Shooto Welterweight champ Tatsuya Kawajiri as well as top Shooto contender Mitsuhiro Ishida, so I expect her to have great wrestling when I finally see this.

Tama-Chan got a win, yay!

satanico
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:30 am

Niiiiiiiiice Buckner. Hisae too. Ichigo isn’t too random, she has about 10 Smack Girl fights. Glad Debi is back fighting and hopefully feels healthy after.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:04 pm
    Instructor

That was a nice suprise on the Buckner fight; I was expecting her to win by decision. Glad she didn’t leave it up to the judges!
    It’s too bad that Debi didn’t win but it sounds like she had a great fight. If you’re going to lose, by decision is the best way to do it. 🙂

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:02 pm
    Pro Fighter

CaptainBad wrote:
    Was Debi’s loss a result of her earlier injuries? Or maybe because she hadn’t competed in a long time?

People lose. Simple as that, something goes wrong, or loss to decision – it’s just the way the fight went. You can’t win them all.

GOOD JOB GUYS! Debi, congrats on getting back in there! SO, Amanda, is this three wins ina row via guillotine?? WTF?

CaptainBad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:11 am

Thanks for your answer Heather.

It’s just that Debi’s previous record was 4-0-0, and those 2 zeros on the end make any competitor look smile.

Shame you can never get them back!

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:56 am
    Pro Fighter

You know, I’m a risk taker, generally speaking and I’m lucky. But going into a fight you have a 50% chance of loosing! When I fought Amanda, I made a really dumb mistake and my fight was over before the second minute. I never really got to show my skills. I wanted nothing more badly than to do it over again, right then. I was in great shape, I put my work in everyday. I’m sure Debi’s been doing her sparring rounds, technique etc. If we fought only to win, would we really be in it for the right reasons?
    Take Dave Terrell…probably in the top three giless grapplers in the world, hands down, he turtled to Evan Tanner. That’s not Dave! Take that Dutch, Muay Thai guy…shoot, forgot his name – but he lost his first 14 fights then went on to beat all the best guys in Thailand and is considered to be the best ever. Jen Howe was way up there in her wins when she lost.
    When we look at our fighters I think we sometimes think they are unbeatable – but the fact is they just haven’t been beaten yet. The fight isn’t what makes the fighter. It’s the whole process from finding out, to training, to continuing anyway, in the face of injury, inexperience, fear, etc. Debi just needs to get back to the US, shake it off and have at it again.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:27 am
    Instructor

Well said Heather.

BrianP
    Post subject: Go Debi!PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:02 pm

Your number one fan here in NYC thinks it is great that you fought again! A loss is a loss. Nothing like easing back into it! Maybe fighting a cream-puff would have worked better….but that is not the Debi i know and it is not the Debi we all know!!! Now that the ring rust of off, I cant wait to see you lay claim to that title. Go for it Debi. You rock.

Jennifer Howe
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:18 pm
    Pro Fighter

Congratulations Mandy. Whose next? All I’ve got to say is keep your arms away from my neck.
    Congratulations on getting back in the ring Debi. The one good thing about having a loss is it’s behind you. The pressure of not having one can screw with you everytime you fight and the longer you go the harder it is to take. Better luck next time. Unless it’s me acrossed the ring.

CaptainBad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:28 pm

I suppose losing a match is a sign of fighting maturity! So congratulations Deb on your initiation!

Some congratulations to you as well Mandy — I think you deserve a mention as well.

spidergirl1nonly
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:53 am

Congrats to Debi for putting her best effort forward! 🙂

It’s too bad that she didn’t win, but just to echo the others-can’t win ’em all!

I still think she’s are one tough grrrrrrrrrrl!

~Charlotte 😈

rick_alexio
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:00 pm

Would have to disagree here…

Innumerous reasons (not excuses) why someone can lose a fight. Inactivity or injuries being two of the primary ones — and by *activity* that means fighting not just training. Debi had been out WAY too long even back when we were talking about a fight with Rox. The best fighters can be beaten because of inactivity against a more active fighter. Taking nothing away from Akano, but Debi was at a decided disadvantage due to the inactivity. Congrats though to Debi on fighting again, and doing as well as she did after being away that long says a lot.

(aka)RA

greatlaughter wrote:
    CaptainBad wrote:

People lose. Simple as that, something goes wrong, or loss to decision – it’s just the way the fight went. You can’t win them all.

GOOD JOB GUYS! Debi, congrats on getting back in there! SO, Amanda, is this three wins ina row via guillotine?? WTF?

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:08 am
    Pro Fighter

I wasn’t surprised at all that Amanda won.

Jennifer Howe wrote:
    Congratulations Mandy. Whose next? .

oh, me me meee! 😀 Bet you can’t guillotine me, neener neener neener. (yes,that’s a challenge)

I actually disagree with you, Rick, because people are still training hard even if they’re not competing, and still learning. I dunno..I’ve heard of ring rust. Maybe it’s case by case with some people. 🙂

CaptainBad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:53 am

Competing probably gives you a different kind of practice to what training gives you. (I’m not an expert, but that’s how it looks to me.)

Remember that when you train, you’re training against friends, people who are rooting for you, people who want you to win your next natch.

But when you’re up against an opponent, he wants you to lose.

Fighting, as any other sport, has a significant psychological element. And fighting against a real opponent changes the whole psychology.

So fighting in a real match is itself valuable practice and experience.

rick_alexio
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:49 pm

I would agree about the case by case, it’s never an absolute, but in general most long layoffs (like years in this case) I would not agree to be an advantage. Training is no substitute for actual fighting experience.
    Taking 2 fighters with similar skill levels, and who’ve both trained hard, the one with more actual fight experience and activity will ‘usually’ have a decided advantage. Only thing worse might be overactivity, like fighting again within 2 weeks of grade 1 or 2 concussions. 🙂

(aka)RA

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:29 pm

What t is with all this excuse making? Akano trains with a top Japanese fight team in AACC and is undefeated for a reason.

chad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:18 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

derUbermensc
    Be careful with your post!!!!! Also remember before you knock D ebi down on her site you might want to get the story from her!

Chad

Report this post Post details Delete post

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:56 pm
    Instructor

I didn’t see anyone making excuses.

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:52 pm
    Fightergirls Pro Fight Team

The truth is, I was pretty shocked when the judges ruled it a unanimous dec in her favor. I won the first round dominating the stand up and taking her back on the ground. And she took me down several times in the second round and had a few sub attempts but she ran from me the entire fight and would not engage.

I know here in America our fight would have been booed and there is no way they give out wins to people who will not engage or run from their opponent the entire fight

As far as Akano being good and from a top team . She definitely is the real deal, young, slick and has some great take downs into subs………… but her game is far from being complete and she is quite a ways off from being a top contender here in the US. I will be completely surprised if Laura does not school her early in their fight. Especially with regular MMA rules

I think with time though she will turn into an amazing fighter. I will look forward to watching her, and to our rematch, especially if its regualr MMA……….

As for me, Im just happy to be fighting again and can not wait for my next fight. Rather then whine about the decision, I am moving on and working towards training for my next fight.

I will say my condition was horrible as they made me weigh in a few hours before my fight instead of in the morning like I was told, other then that

I blame myself for the lose, as I did not finish her or fight like I know im capable of. So that is that.

I am not sorry for one second I took this fight,. It was a learning experience, the fight, the rules, and the loss. All of it. So nothing but good can come out of it for me. Thanks to everyone for the support. It means a lot and is MUCH appreciated.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:51 am
    Pro Fighter

derUbermensc, we are not making excuses and said that specifically. 🙂

Debi, can I lift stuff you said from your post for my FCF article? <3

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:47 am
    Pro Fighter

Yeah, I don’t hear anyone making excuses either. We all have the “coulda shoulda woulda” after the fight experience, but that is part of the learning. Lord knows I know that….

Most people don’t fight a fight thinking that their goal is to get a decision. If so we would all fight differently. You can always look back and think what could I have done better to pull off a decision, but you fight a different fight hoping you can pull off a clear win, you take risks that may be good for a tap out or knock out, but not to impress the judges.

Either way I think it’s great that Amanda pulled off a clear win against a very talented opponent, and that Debi went in there and represented well against another skilled opponent. All that really matters in the end is that we get out there, give it our best shot and keep our foot in the door by representing the women. And that we learn from our figths – win or lose.

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:43 pm

Words can not describe how happy I am that “The Maulinator” is back and posting on a regular basis.

😀

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Forgive my above post, but it seemed to me that all this patting on the back without any mention of what Akano might’ve done to deserve the decision seemed suspect, irrespective of Debi’s post about the fight (I mean, she’s a fighter). That and Alexio’s posts about ring rust.

I would like to think that a message board can be tad objective about things. However, that doesn’t rule out giving Purcell her props for stepping up.

Props.

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:50 pm

Oh, does anyone know if this has come on J-Sports yet?

Seth
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:37 am

I don’t think Debi makes excuses. The fight seemed close with Debi engaging the contest and dominating the standup. Probably the opponent is a nidan or sandan judoka and got some takedowns and groundwork progress. It seemed overall a good showing while fighting in a tough venue overseas with those smack rules. Everyone wants to see Debi fight in the U.S.A.

Rikki wrote:
    That was a nice suprise on the Buckner fight; I was expecting her to win by decision. Glad she didn’t leave it up to the judges!

Has Amanda ever lost a fight by decision? It’s usually all out to win by sub /KO or lose likewise.

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:05 am

Seth wrote:
    I don’t think Debi makes excuses.

I didn’t say she did

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:20 am
    Instructor

Quote:
    Has Amanda ever lost a fight by decision? It’s usually all out to win by sub /KO or lose likewise.

I don’t think she has. I thought that because that’s how D’Auguste and LaRosa beat Yabushita. Roxanne’s fight with Megumi also went to a decision. She seems to have the ability to go the distance with very tough fighters.

rick_alexio
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:03 pm

Thanks girls…

Yeah I clearly stated that these were not any excuses. An excuse is usually manufactured after the fact and cannot be proven or qualified. Debi’s long period of inactivity was a *known fact* well before this fight and we openly discussed here….feel free to check the archives.

When making an accurate assessment of any fight it’s important to include all valid factors. If some folks choose to just say…”fighter X won…fighter Y lost…shit happens”…and then throw up some personal rankings, that’s your own deal.

Women’s MMA has continued to evolve and the girls have technically become much better fighters — it’s not even the same game now as when Debi was last in the ring. So with that kind of layoff the real questions were…how much would her natural ability and training compensate for the long layoff factor…and, how well would she do against a current top ranked fighter considering that disadvantage.

Now after hearing Debi’s take on the fight, along with factoring in the layoff, it all makes sense and is even more impressive. Also sounds like another case of homefield robbery…a fighter should actually be deducted points for too much ‘ineffective’ movement (i.e. running). Historically I have much respect for the Japanese as fighters, but it seems like particularly with the girls, they lean more towards rewarding acrobatics than effective fighting.

(aka)RA

Sudoraba
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:19 pm

derUbermensc wrote:
    I’ve yet to see Akano fight but from her Sherdog record and Rox’s description she sounds like a slick ground fighter. What weight was the fight at? I presume it was either a contract weight or 58kg. Either way, Japan might have a new star @ the higher weights to replace Kubota. I see she’s also from AACC, which we should be reminded is seriously becoming a VERY top camp in Japan: Megumi Fujii, Masatoshi Abe, Shinichi Kojima, (unfortunately) Hiroyuki Abe [ 🙁 ], and now Akano. Dopeness

Its good to see Yabushita has been dethroned, she deserves it. Buckner now enters my Top 10 from my Top 15

Hisae pwning some random person was expected. GO WEST! Oh, and same for Tomomi. Both of those two need to be aligning themselves for title fights: Hisae for Shinashi, especially now that she’s training with Tsuji, and Tomomi for Tsuji, though I don’t think her ground game has improved to handle Tsuji’s intensity.

Morifuji trains at the same camp as Shooto Welterweight champ Tatsuya Kawajiri as well as top Shooto contender Mitsuhiro Ishida, so I expect her to have great wrestling when I finally see this.

Tama-Chan got a win, yay!

15 (also known as Ichigo which translates literally to “one five” and is also a pun for the Japanese word Ichigo which means strawberries), isn’t a random fighter she’s actually a good up and coming fighter in Smackgirl. The mask is funky but that’s probably a nod to her prowrestling career. Either way she was shown to be a credible threat before fighting Watanabe. Watanabe though was just a class higher.

That said hearing that Watanabe went for an armbar shows that training with Tsuji did pay off.

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:31 pm

Sudoraba wrote:

15 (also known as Ichigo which translates literally to “one five” and is also a pun for the Japanese word Ichigo which means strawberries), isn’t a random fighter she’s actually a good up and coming fighter in Smackgirl. The mask is funky but that’s probably a nod to her prowrestling career. Either way she was shown to be a credible threat before fighting Watanabe. Watanabe though was just a class higher.

That said hearing that Watanabe went for an armbar shows that training with Tsuji did pay off.

Shite, I didn’t realize it was 15 until I saw the pictures. Then I scratched my head and went,”Fif—thteen?” I respect the win even more now cause 15’s a good but not outstanding grappler. I wonder if that was the point of this fight? GO WEST

I can’t wait to get my hands on this

TanyaVlahac
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:26 pm

“…but she ran from me the entire fight and would not engage.

I know here in America our fight would have been booed and there is no way they give out wins to people who will not engage or run from their opponent the entire fight ”

Hi Debi,
    Regarding what you wrote above, I’ve seen you kick the pads when you were backstage warming up for the Revolution show. If I were ever in the ring with you, I’d run from you too!!!!!!!

Welcome back. I’d be good to see you fight at home sometime soon.
    -Tanya

rebekah
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:00 am

debi wrote:
    The truth is, I was pretty shocked when the judges ruled it a unanimous dec in her favor. I won the first round dominating the stand up and taking her back on the ground. And she took me down several times in the second round and had a few sub attempts but she ran from me the entire fight and would not engage.

I know here in America our fight would have been booed and there is no way they give out wins to people who will not engage or run from their opponent the entire fight

As far as Akano being good and from a top team . She definitely is the real deal, young, slick and has some great take downs into subs………… but her game is far from being complete and she is quite a ways off from being a top contender here in the US. I will be completely surprised if Laura does not school her early in their fight. Especially with regular MMA rules

I think with time though she will turn into an amazing fighter. I will look forward to watching her, and to our rematch, especially if its regualr MMA……….

As for me, Im just happy to be fighting again and can not wait for my next fight. Rather then whine about the decision, I am moving on and working towards training for my next fight.

I will say my condition was horrible as they made me weigh in a few hours before my fight instead of in the morning like I was told, other then that

I blame myself for the lose, as I did not finish her or fight like I know im capable of. So that is that.

I am not sorry for one second I took this fight,. It was a learning experience, the fight, the rules, and the loss. All of it. So nothing but good can come out of it for me. Thanks to everyone for the support. It means a lot and is MUCH appreciated.

Spoken like a true champ! Glad your back in the ring!!!

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:30 am
    Fightergirls Pro Fight Team

Women’s MMA has continued to evolve and the girls have technically become much better fighters — it’s not even the same game now as when Debi was last in the ring.

well my last fight was last week, and I will say this, the game has evolved thank GOODNESS, I think I will have much more fun now……….. I now no longer have to train for people running across the ring flailing at me. LOL well at least sometimes……

As far as you go Tanya, I have seen you fight, you would not dream of running from me ! you are one of those people that shows up to FIGHT no matter what the outcome, and to be quite honest that is what the fans pay to see reguardless of who wins or loses.

rick_alexio
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:28 pm

lol@”flailing” …yeah it’s great to see most of the girls now have some serious striking ability. Unfortunately, it still appears that (on the women’s side) the evolution of exposure has not increased equally along with the skill level…which I think has made it more unattractive to many potential sponsors and promoters than it should be.

(aka)RA

debi wrote:
    Women’s MMA has continued to evolve and the girls have technically become much better fighters — it’s not even the same game now as when Debi was last in the ring.

well my last fight was last week, and I will say this, the game has evolved thank GOODNESS, I think I will have much more fun now……….. I now no longer have to train for people running across the ring flailing at me. LOL well at least sometimes……

As far as you go Tanya, I have seen you fight, you would not dream of running from me ! you are one of those people that shows up to FIGHT no matter what the outcome, and to be quite honest that is what the fans pay to see reguardless of who wins or loses.

holddown
    Post subject: picsPostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:44 am

Can someone/anyone provide a link to the last smack girls fights??????

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?