Smackgirl Titles contested in Sept

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

mmachic
    Post subject: Smackgirl Titles contested in Sept PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:43 am

Smackgirl Titles Contested in September

Saturday, June 30, 2007

In a year in which female mixed martial arts has become increasingly en vogue, perhaps the titling of Smackgirl’s Sept. 6 card at Korakuen Hall is apt.

Smackgirl’s “Queens’ Hottest Summer” main event will see the organization’s reigning 115-pound queen Yuka Tsuji (Pictures) take on the only woman to blemish her stellar 17-1 record, Brazil’s Michelli Tavares.

Tsuji is coming off of a destructive win over an outmatched Thricia Poovey in her hometown of Osaka this past April, while Tavares has busied herself in Brazil in her Showfight promotion, with her last notable win coming in Oct. 2005 over Bodog regular Carina Damm.

The two women met in July 2003 under the DEEP banner. Fighting in front of her home crowd in Osaka, Tsuji was undefeated and coming off of an impressive run through Smackgirl’s 2002 Japan Cup tournament. However, the virtually unknown Tavares pulled off an upset, locking up a tight triangle armbar in the first period to earn the submission victory.

While the Tsuji-Tavares clash will not put Tsuji’s 115-pound title at stake, the card will feature two Smackgirl title bouts.

After winning a title elimination fight over American Sybil Starr (Pictures) in March, Takayo Hashi (Pictures) takes on bodogFIGHT veteran and reigning Smackgirl 128-pound champion Hitomi Akano (Pictures). Like Tsuji and Tavares, Hashi and Akano have history as well, as Akano submitted Hashi in Aug. 2005 to win that year’s 128-pound Next Cinderella Tournament.

Pioneering spirit Yoko Takahashi (Pictures) will defend her open-weight Smackgirl title against HIROKO. The upstart HIROKO, whose other chosen profession is as a dominatrix, impressed in winning the open-weight Super Girls Cup tournament earlier this year, while the longtime veteran Takahashi earned her championship strap by beating Alicia Mena (Pictures) for the vacant title, after it was stripped from Amanda Buckner (Pictures).

Also on the card, “Edge” Ayumi Saito (Pictures) will take on Mai in the finals of the 106-pound KILLER QUEEN tournament, the winner of which will likely become the next challenger to divisional titlist Satoko Shinashi (Pictures). Female pro-wrestling idol Fuka will compete as well.

While the Tsuji-Tavares fight will take place under Smackgirl special rules — full ground-and-pound and no time limit on the ground — all other bouts will be contested under the typically utilized Smackgirl Strike rules, with prohibited ground striking techniques and a 30-second stand-up rule in effect on the ground.

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:44 am

Worthiest fight for Tsuji in a long time. Saito slaps Mai silly for her title shot, then takes the belt Shinashi’s been hiding from Ward.

Mark Grassman
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:41 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

If Yuka defeats Tavares(Dantes), she will be the best fighter at 125lbs. and under.

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:08 am
    Pro Fighter

Quote:
    If Yuka defeats Tavares(Dantes), she will be the best fighter at 125lbs. and under.
    I didn’t think she fought at 125….. Or did you mean the best pound for pound female fighter who happens to be under 125 lbs?

Either way, I think it’s still open to debate, at least until she fights Fuji.

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:41 pm

Mark Grassman wrote:
    Y’know, Fujii already beat her.

Mark Grassman
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:46 pm

Rosi: Not ‘pound-for-pound’. I meant what I wrote. If Tsuji wins, her record will be more impressive than Fujii’s.

derUbermensc: I’m aware that Tavares defeated Tsuji, and lost to Fujii.

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:32 pm
    Pro Fighter

Mark – I don’t quite understand how someone can be regarded as the “best in the world” in a weight class they don’t fight in 😕 Fuji fights at 125, AFAIK Tsuji doesn’t.

Who’s best at 115 is a different question. Perhaps Tsuji should be ranked higher based on her record… but IMO that’s not quite the same thing as being the “best”.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:11 am
    Pro Fighter

Looks like a great event!

ShdwPrwler
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:06 am

And I would think that any “pound for pound” best female fighter discussion would have to start AND stop with Tara LaRosa. Not only do you have to consider quantity of fights, but also the quality of the opponent and when you look at the BIG name fighters that Tara has fought AND beaten, you have to say she is the “pound for pound” best…..at least for now, right Deb? 😉

Mark Grassman
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:23 pm

Rosi wrote:
    Mark – I don’t quite understand how someone can be regarded as the “best in the world” in a weight class they don’t fight in 😕 Fuji fights at 125, AFAIK Tsuji doesn’t.

Who’s best at 115 is a different question. Perhaps Tsuji should be ranked higher based on her record… but IMO that’s not quite the same thing as being the “best”.
    Personally, I’ve been ranking female MMA fighters in three weight classes: 125 lbs. and under, 135 lbs. and under, and over 135 lbs. Apparently, you as a 125er see a huge difference between 125 lb fighters and those at 115 and under. I’m not knowledgable enough about the women at those weights to separate 115 and 125.

cosmic
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:22 pm

Mark Grassman wrote:
    Rosi wrote:

Personally, I’ve been ranking female MMA fighters in three weight classes: 125 lbs. and under, 135 lbs. and under, and over 135 lbs. Apparently, you as a 125er see a huge difference between 125 lb fighters and those at 115 and under. I’m not knowledgable enough about the women at those weights to separate 115 and 125.
    10 pounds to a 115 fighter is 9% of their bodyweight. potentially a greater percentage when you think of weight cutting.

(just numbers, sorry didn’t mean to hijack thread)

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:19 pm
    Pro Fighter

Quote:
    Look at it this way. What would a someone have to do to become the best in the world at under 125 lbs? Surely it’s to fight and beat those who are currently ranked at the top of the division? And if the “best” at under 125 lbs won’t actually fight at 125 lbs, this presents a problem.

Of course, rankings are problematic for lots of other reasons too, and i do understand the issue of there not being enough women in some of the divisions to do a full ranking by weight class at this point in time, though hopefully the day is coming….
    Last edited by Rosi on Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:43 am

Sounds like somebody wants their props for breaking Tomomi’s ankle off.

Quote:
    125 and 114/5 are similar in the shallowness. 125 is still a very upstart division created by BoDog while 114/5 has generally been Tsuji and Fujii versus whoever they can find an opponent for. You could say Smackgirl’s 128 div could be included, but that division is a mix of girls who should be fighting lower (Sakura Nakamura) or could fight higher (Kanako Takeshita, the evidence being her match with Windy Tomomi) 108(48kg) , however, is a long-standing division with as much if not a more pronounced talent pool than 135; thus deserving a bit more recognition and study.

If Yuka Tsuji defeats Tavares, I look at it as warrant to keep her afloat the Top 3 in a pound-for-pound ranking, as its simply not worth specifying anything less.

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:51 am
    Pro Fighter

No, and emphatically, no. I’m not saying that my name should be in there, I just want the chance to fight the best the division has to offer.

And i see where you’re coming from on the relative depths of the divisions. Although i think that will start to change. 125 has been around for a while in the US (and similar weights in the UK and Europe) and i think a number of the current 135ers could make that division if they chose to. In the past, there hasn’t been much of an incentive to do that, because there have been more possibilities at 135. Now things are getting more interesting, we’ll see what happens.

I agree that a pound for pound ranking makes sense. My only point was that if you ARE ranking by weight category, then it doesn’t make sense to rank someone at a particular weight if they don’t fight at that weight.

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:15 pm

Rosi wrote:
    No, and emphatically, no. I’m not saying that my name should be in there, I just want the chance to fight the best the division has to offer.
    I’m just jabbin’ ya. Who’s your next opponent?

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:06 am
    Pro Fighter

Quote:
    I’m just jabbin’ ya. Who’s your next opponent?
    we’ll see…. 😀

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?