This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

muffins
    Post subject: StylesPostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:58 pm

My MA is Shaolin-do Kung Fu, our grandmaster is in Kentucky. What is the ‘style’ generally for ‘fightergirls’?

I was referred to this website from one of the guys on ‘our’ board. I’m going to have to get a ‘fighter girl’ tee. 😈

starbellykeith
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:07 am

Please excuse us regulars as we switch over from the old forum and may not be checking this one yet.

You’ll probably get most people saying “mixed martial ats” or mostly a mixture of wrestling, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and boxing. Maybe as the other old forum regulars switch over they would be better to ask…I’m a photogrpaher but don’t fight.

KM

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:53 pm

Started in Kickboxing…then moved to grappling by starting off with people who were wrestling-oriented. Developed a good single-leg takedown. My takedown defense is not as good, however. Then, while the others were worrying about being taken down, I worked heavily on my open guard. I feel competant with leg-fighting (leg submissions). For some reason, I sparred a lot with some people who were really fond of leg submissions. Luckily, or unluckily, It`s been a really long time since I have been submitted by them. I don`t like relying on what I am good at. I want to improve my takedown defense and my explosiveness on the ground, as well as my sweeps/reversals. I think that most people that I have grappled with spend too little time working on sweeps and reversals and focus too heavily on submissions.

I used to Live in Kentucky. I also lived in Dallas for a short while. Tra Telligman knows his shit with leg submissions. Don`t tell me that your Grand master is Grand Master Cooke? That is the most clique-ish group of Martial artists that I have ever come accross. That is not to talk down Cooke’s skill, just the attitude of many of his students. I knew a lot of people that attended his classes. He is the most popular “grand master” that I have heard of in Kentucky.

Tele
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:37 pm

Kempo, TKD, MT, Hap ki Do, BJJ – Mostly those, in order from most exp to least.

-Jen

rebekah
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:03 am

I don’t fight…just a fan:D I’m currently training in BJJ, Muay Thai, Filipino MA, Sayoc Kali and JKD. I earned a black belt in Shaolin Kempo a few years ago. I just love Martial Arts!

J
    Post subject: stylesPostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:16 am

Hey!
    I used to do Shaolin-do as well — for about 2 years. (BTW – I don’t think she is referring to GM Cooke). I truly loved it, but left after what I will call a series of serious ‘misunderstandings’. It’s a great system though. Before that I did a non-traditional form of karate for about 7 years, and now I am doing a lot of internal chinese martial arts work after suffering several injuries, including an ACL rupture. I’m also boxing. I love all of the martial arts I have done, but wish I had gained more grappling experience. Most likely, you won’t get that in your Shaolin training unless they have a special class for it. I guess it’s never too late to learn, but at age 27, sometimes it seems a little daunting!

Are you under Sin The or his brother?

lil bullie
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:09 am

i fight in muay thai but dabble a bit in bjj for the heck of it. i see in the new forum there isn’t really a spot for stand up people, will there be? i know it didn’t take off but i’ll tell all the girls i know if that helps.

thanks and have a great day!

bjjfightgirl18
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:50 pm

started off in judo, but transfered to bjj. have been doin it 2 years and just started muay thai to get ready for mma fights

alicia
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:05 pm

I started out training in Shaolin Kempo. Did some tournaments on the east coast as I went through the ranks – got my black about 3 or 4 years ago. Got introduced to BJJ about 2 years ago. I moved to San Diego 1 1/2 years ago specifically to train BJJ with the instructor I have now. Just started competing in BJJ last February. I LOVE it! I do miss the stand up game and want to get back into it again. I’d love to get into mma fighting after some training.

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:12 pm

You went from the East cost to San Diego? Why did you pick San Diego?
    How do you like it?

The reason I ask is that I’m thinking of moving there, or some other places in Cali, like Mission Viejo…

alicia
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:19 pm

Yup… huge change! I moved from Vermont to San Diego!! 🙂 I picked San Diego because that’s where my instructor is. I decided I wanted to train with him after I took a couple of his seminars when he came to the east coast.

I LOVE living here!! I’ve met so many great people and you can’t beat the weather!! 🙂

Do you have any places in mind to train if you move out here?

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:27 pm

I have no idea, in San Diego. I’m not even sure what gyms are in San Diego. I knew the Lion’s Den had a gym there. I don’t think I’d want to train at another Lions Den. It was ok once, but I’d rather diversify.

I would train with Chris Brennan if I moved to Mission Viejo. I want to live in south Cali, but not LA. Mission Viejo is just south of there, and close to Huntington beach.

Where are the 10th Planet BJJ clubs? (Eddie Bravo). Are they in San Diego? I’m all about the no-gi!

alicia
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:35 pm

Training with Chris Brennan would be a good move.

Eddie’s school is in Hollywood.

Depending on how far south you plan on living, you should also check out City Boxing – they’re in downtown San Diego. Dean Lister & Brandon Vera are instructors there….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?