Tent City Jail. Sorry its off the topic I know

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

FightingFury44
    Post subject: Tent City Jail. Sry its off the topic I know . PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:47 pm

I belive this to be a great read and had to share with you all. enjoy. sorry i know its off the topic. but happy reading

TO THOSE OF YOU NOT FAMILIAR WITH JOE ARPAIO HE IS THE MARICOPA ARIZONA COUNTY SHERIFF AND HE KEEPS GETTING ELECTED OVER AND OVER. THIS IS ONE OF THE REASONS WHY:

Sheriff Joe Arpaio (in Arizona) who created the “tent city jail”:

He has jail meals down to 40 cents a serving and charges the inmates for them.

He stopped smoking and smile magazines in the jails. Took away their weights. Cut off all but “G” movies.

He started chain gangs so the inmates could do free work on county and city projects.

Then he started chain gangs for women so he wouldn’t get sued for discrimination.

He took away cable TV until he found out there was a federal court order that required cable TV for jails. So he hooked up the cable TV again only let in the Disney channel and the weather channel.

When asked why the weather channel he replied, so they will know how hot it’s gonna be while they are working on my chain gangs.

He cut off coffee since it has zero nutritional value.

When the inmates complained, he told them, “This isn’t the
    Ritz/Carlton. If you don’t like it, don’t come back.”

He bought Newt Gingrich’ lecture series on videotape that he pipes into the jails.

When asked by a reporter if he had any lecture series by a Democrat, he replied that a democratic lecture series might explain why a lot of the inmates were in his jails in the first place.

More on the Arizona Sheriff:

With temperatures being even hotter than usual in Phoenix (116 degrees just set a new record), the Associated Press reports: About 2,000 inmates living in a barbed-wire-surrounded tent encampment at the Maricopa County Jail have been given permission to strip down to their government-issued pink boxer shorts.

On Wednesday, hundreds of men wearing boxers were either curled up on their bunk beds or chatted in the tents, which reached 138 degrees inside the week before.

Many were also swathed in wet, pink towels as sweat collected on their chests and dripped down to their pink socks.

“It feels like we are in a furnace,” said James Zanzot, an inmate who has lived in the tents for 1 = years. “It’s inhumane.”

Joe Arpaio, the tough-guy sheriff who created the tent city and long ago started making his prisoners wear pink, and eat bologna
    sandwiches, is not one bit sympathetic. He said Wednesday that he told all of the inmates: “It’s 120 degrees in Iraq and our soldiers are living in tents too, and they have to wear full battle gear, but they didn’t commit any crimes, so shut your damned mouths!”

Way to go, Sheriff! Maybe if all prisons were like this one there
    would be a lot less crime and/or repeat offenders. Criminals should be punished for their crimes – not live in luxury until it’s time for their parole, only to go out and commit another crime so they can get back in to live on taxpayers money and enjoy things taxpayers can’t afford to have for themselves.

If you agree, pass this on. If not, just delete it.

Sheriff Joe was just reelected Sheriff in Maricopa County, Arizona.

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:58 am

I have been a big fan of Joe Arpaio for years, well, ever since I first heard the first stories of his work.

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:15 am

Quote:
    Criminals should be punished for their crimes – not live in luxury until it’s time for their parole, only to go out and commit another crime so they can get back in to live on taxpayers money and enjoy things taxpayers can’t afford to have for themselves.

Wow… so you’re going to get a response from the forum social worker on this one.

1) Check the recidivism rates for that jail… the jail with the best recidivism rates in our area (best = more don’t return to prison) happens to be airconditioned, have a gym and recreation, focuses heavily on treatment, and ensures that prisoners don’t have to live in fear of getting raped, stabbed, robbed, etc.

2) Violent crime has fallen, yet we’re incarcerating more people now than we did years ago. Hmm…. see below.

3) Those chain gangs are a problem for SEVERAL reasons…

*First of all, you’re driving down the cost of labor in the USA and raising unemployment. No one’s gonna pay someone to do their dirty work if they can get prisoners to do it for free/cheap. Yeah- so when those prisoners leave prison and decide to try for an honest living, there’s nothing available to them.
    *You’re making prison profitable for the private organizations that run them- that DOESN’T encourage the people in charge to HELP these offenders change their lives and succeed when they reenter society. They WANT them to fail so they can get cheap labor and money from the government for housing prisoners. So we have NO programs to rehabilitate prisoners, so what happens? They go back out into society, can’t find jobs, and they reoffend and end up back in prison. In our “tough love” society, you’re thinking “so what! they shouldn’t have done it!” Yeh think again- someone innocent is usually the victim of crimes—- so we’re sacrificing innocent victims so we can have free labor…. nice.
    *This is a way for the USA to bring slavery back LEGALLY- there are DISPROPORTIONATE numbers of “colored” and poor men and women imprisoned and there’s also significant evidence that “colored” people are more likely to be arrested, tried, and convicted for the same crime as their white counterpart. Just like poor people are more likely to be convicted than a rich person- look at Michael Jackson, OJ Simpson… hell, even Martha Stewart got off LIGHT.

Quote:
    Alabama is now proving the past is not always past. Alabama has become the first state in the nation to re-institute chain gangs. However, the worst part about chain gangs in Alabama is not the young men chained together in groups of five as they urinate and defecateÉ not the cuts and bruises that the chains inevitably leave on the legs and ankles of the young men… the inadequate or total lack of medical treatment… the total lack of access to the courts… nor the dehumanization of these young men in chains and their abrupt return to the slavery of their ancestors. The worst part of the chain gang in Alabama is that the rest of the world rushed to see it.

Michael Lamar Powell

Info on chain gangs–http://www.fightergirls.com

4) We spend more time trying to punish people and not enough time trying to teach them a different way of life. How can someone reenter society from prison with a REALISTIC view of the world? In our prison system, prisoners fear for their lives because they could get stabbed for doing almost NOTHING. AND it’s allowed. People come up dead in prison and no one cares. So here we are ENCOURAGING people to act like this- allowing it to happen- and then we hand them $50 and let them go, expecting them to be like the rest of us? HELL NO. People only know what they’re exposed to, they cannot CHANGE if they don’t see and do something else… in our prison system we recreate their world, except worse…

ALSO a lot of our prisoners are there in relation to drug related crimes… this is a problem because we don’t treat them. Know anyone with a drug or alcohol abuse problem? Yeh, how hard is it for them to quit even WITH rehab?

Then our final problem… we release people with felonies on their records, and they can’t get housing or jobs because of it. No job with a decent wage will hire them, and the housing communities that will take them put them back with the people they’re trying to get AWAY from. So they’re back to selling drugs. Can’t pay child support, victim comp, housing and food with a job that pays $6/hr.

We’d spend less MONEY on prison if we tried to actually help these people instead of hurting them… if they reoffend, we pay the price in our tax dollars- and the price to the victims of the crime. But those private institutions don’t care cuz they’re benefiting from it.

The ONE thing our country lacks more than anything else- the one thing that would reduce crime, racism, and many of the problems that exist in today’s society- is EMPATHY… and this article (and people’s support of it) just shows how much of a problem that is.

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:48 am

Oh I guess I should help everyone get a better idea about what prison is like (vs. the “woohoo they have cable, food, and a gym!” idea)…

When I was 15, I dated this guy and his brother was in prison so we visited him there. Two years, minor offense, no crime against another human being. Anyhow, he’s in jail and this guy steals all his stuff… including the pictures of his kids. So he goes up to the guy like, “Man, you can have everything else, but please let me have the pictures of my kids back.” Guy split his head open.

Just to get an idea about the character of this guy, when he got out he was the type of person who is softspoken, do anything for anybody… I would go to their house and I’d come out and he’d be changing my oil.

Think about it like this… you live somewhere 24 hrs a day, and you have to worry the whole time that someone could rape, kill, stab, or steal from you. There’s no rest from it because you’re housed with lots of other people. Somehow that doesn’t seem like paradise to me.

scarce
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:18 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

….well…well………well…………((((((((splat))))))))))

….the criminal mind is not to be dealt with……

,,,there are criminals…..who are extremely bright….

..they can out smart doctors….and the average joes……

…but they will always turn to criminal activity/ always.

it is a rush. to fool people/ to commit the perfect crime/
    criminals never learn/ they just act normal to escape doctors/

.some of these panhandlers i see…/could be x cons?/
    actually will give me a story..and they have good fake stories
    and my golden response is/
    . sorry i do not give money to druggies
    now leave me be/
    ///most may think that is harsh
    but.at this point 2 minds met
    one tried out perform the other
    even though i am the big jerk
    ..i know i won the battle….and my fist/ is locked and loaded//

words of wisdom from/ scarce the tiny frog/

Kasatonov
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:48 pm

“The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons”

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?