The age old dilemma of choosing where to train

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

lucyx
    Post subject: The age old dilemma of choosing where to train PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:00 pm

First; hi. I’ve been lurking here for a year or two, but never posted until now. Now, to the point.

I started training kickboxing 2 years ago, at the age of 19. Quit after a year because I was in horrible shape and felt like an idiot when I couldn’t keep up with the 16 year olds. Plus, it turned out I wasn’t Batgirl after all, and I kept getting HIT 🙄

Quitting was great, as getting your self confidence crushed twice a week kind of sucks. However, I miss it now. Fighting is fun, and I want to get in shape properly this time.

I’m considering 3 different places, all fairly different in both training and price. Equipment costs not taken into consideration, as I already have it (gloves and protection + weight training equipment and a punching bag).
    I intend to go check out all (well, maybe not the first as I already know what it’s like), but would appreciate your thoughts too. Here are the alternatives, any and all thoughts and suggestions welcome:

Style: Kickboxing

Schedule: Tuesdays + Thursdays

Price: $210/6 months ($35/month)

Other: Trained here for a year before. Very competitive club, known for making the best fighters in the country, both in semi contact and full contact. Fairly young scene, mostly 15-20 y.o. in the non-elite levels (age limit 14+). Instructors are often young too (although good at what they do). Don’t really like the atmosphere. Pay extra for 24/7 access to nice (plenty equipent, good weight area, bag area, 2 big padded floor rooms) but somewhat impractically located gym (20 min walk / 3 min bus ride from town). Lived literally next door to the gym that year and never used it much then, so I don’t think I would this time either.

In short: Good training, bad atmosphere. Do I want to spend an hour and a half twice a week with people I can’t stand? Do I need to suck it up and realize I’m there to kick ass, not to make friends?

Style: BJJ

Schedule: Mondays + Wednesdays

Price: $60/year ($5/month)

Other: MMA-style no gi grappling. Small recently started club, used to be just a few guys who got together to roll around now and then. All guys, no kids, 18+ age limit. Atmosphere seems ridiculously macho from pictures. Rents space in basement of swimming hall.

In short: Cheap, macho, new. More technique, less exercise. I don’t get to kick the shit out of stuff. Really want to learn some grappling though, but too macho? Would I hate it? And what about cardio? (guess I’ll have to run. bleh.)

Style: Kickboxing + Boxing + Muay Thai + Women’s Self Defense

Schedule: Classes every day except Sunday

Price: $50/month

Other: 2 out of 3 kickboxing classes a week are no contact and purely fitness-based. MT and boxing are full contact. No age limit, but kickboxing seems mostly female 20-35, MT and boxing somewhat younger and more male-dominated. Mostly interested in MT and self defense classes, maybe kickboxing too if I’m feeling like Superwoman.

In short: Fitness Kickboxing; beware of gym bunnies and Ally McBeal-ites. Expensive like whoa and I’m already pretty much broke. Always wanted to do Muay Thai though.

Hmmm. What would YOU pick. And why?

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:56 pm
    Pro Fighter

I would train where the best train. Two months there will be worth a year at another less competitive school.

What’s your goal? Just to get in shape?? I’d still go with the most competitive place – if you ever have to use it in the real world, you’ll be glad you had it tough at the gym.

And, by the way, we all get our asses handed to us. So, that sounds like something you’ll need to overcome with any choice. Otherwise, you might look into another kind of workout to get you in shape. I know some of the best fighters in the country, maybe the world and they all have someone that can beat them.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:08 pm
    Instructor

$50 – Expensive like whoa
    😯
    Where do you live?? That’s cheap! And I’m from a very small city!

If I were you I’d try #3 out as well as #2. I think everyone should have a well rounded technique base – striking, wrestling, and grappling. And if you think there’s no cardio in grappling it’s only because you’ve never done it before!

lucyx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:40 am

greatlaughter – I wouldn’t actually be training with the best though, or even near them. The actual gym can’t fit classes bigger than about 30, so they rent a big gymnasium where the advanced fighters (anyone who has trained more than 1,5 years in the club really) train the beginners (first 1,5 years in the club). The classes average 80-100 people to ONE trainer. One can’t help but feel slightly factory farmed. The training isn’t very tough or technically demanding either, it really can’t be with that many people in a class. Basically, it seems like they don’t really give a fuck unless you’re good enough to compete and win. The others are just there to pay the expences for the elite group. I suppose I might be taking my own uselessness (I really sucked when I trained there. I was a total quitter, and… well… fat. And lazy.) out on them though. Could be better this time.

Rikki – You’re right, it’s not that expencive compared to what I see people pay other places, and it’s about the same as I would pay for your average non-martial arts gym around here. It’s expencive to me though, as it is so much more than every other martial arts club/gym around here and most importantly more than I can really afford. I’m on a tiny student loan with debt up over my ears, so $50 a month HURTS.

And I take back the no cardio in grappling thing – I need to keep my mouth shut about stuff I don’t know anything about. Heh.

Actually, the MT class at #3 is taught by the owner of the gym, who happens to also be one of the owners and trainers of the elite team at #1. So I figure I’m getting more skill there than with the other bottomfeeders at #1. Maybe do MT (and some self defense and kickboxing if time allows) at #3 for a while, and if I get good enough to join the advanced group at #1 I’ll consider switching then.

Meh. I’m kidding myself with the alternatives. I really want to do muay thai at #3. I just don’t want to pay for it. I’ll go check it out. And I’ll check out #2 as well, although it’s probably wiser to start one thing now and maybe start grappling in fall when I’ve had some time to get in better shape (considering they’re all huge and guys).

Sorry. Heh. Just my conscious trying to wrestle my subconscious out of spending $50 a month. Thanks for your replies though. And for not laughing at me for my contribution to the “dumbest first post ever” contest.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:49 am
    Pro Fighter

Well…if your goal is to get in shape, lose weight, and have fun, I’d choose number 3. My next choice is number 2, just because I love BJJ and you get a surprisingly good workout doing that. It’s an all body thing, so don’t think you won’t be tired. It’s just hard work and you have to be prepared to get beat on for a while. I can take that more than I can take kickboxing punishment. I’ve come to love the macho-ness of it all- especially once I get to know the guys. 🙂

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:02 am
    Instructor

If $50 a month is too expensive you should go talk to the owner. See if you can sign up for only the MT classes at a cheaper rate.

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:17 pm
    Pro Fighter

Roxy is just saying 2 & 3 to disagree with me. Damn it, Roxanne.
    Ok – enough bs-ing…
    Well, now that you put it into perspective…
    If you really want #3 then go there. Maybe since #2 is so cheap you can do that too.
    BJJ WILL get you in shape. It’s an awesome and fun work out.
    I was always in real good shape until I got pregnant. Didn’t lose anything until I started doing jitz. Then I lost 30 lbs. Don’t worry, I was a little fatty too.
    Ciao,
    Heather

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?