The best fighting system- in the SHORT run is…

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Gollum
    Post subject: The best fighting system- in the SHORT run is… PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:59 pm

I’m not talking about long term serious fighters who plan on devoting years to training, various disciplines and possibly a lifetime career. But if a woman wanted to study but one system, two or three days a week, for three to six months let’s say, and then quit, what one system would she get the most out of?

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:15 pm
    Instructor

Well, first of all, I don’t think anyone can get enough in 3 – 6 months. I believe that training of any kind needs to be done continuously throughout life in order to keep up (remembering how to do techniques, learning the new techniques that are being uncovered basically every day, etc.).
    As far as self defense goes, I think the best “fighting system” a woman could learn is MMA – meaning a training group that does striking, clinch, wrestling, and ground fighting all in one. But like I said above…six months just isn’t going to cut it.

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:18 pm

Self defense? Get in shape? Have fun? What’re you hoping for?

If you just want to study a martial art so that you’ve done it, I’d try something without forms, weapons, or any of the extra “stuff”… Muay Thai is pretty basic kicking and striking so you can get it down pretty well if you train a lot for 3-6 months. You might as well stick with something basic so you can learn those things WELL, rather than try to do too much in too short of a time. I did tkd and we ended up doing SO many different things- it’d be a mix of sparring, weapons, forms, learning to count in korean (meh), and such… that’s not bad if you’re going to stick with it for years to get your black belt. I spent a year doing it and I didn’t feel like I learned NEARLY enough in that time to do ANYTHING at all.

The muay thai school I go to generally sticks with front and round kicks for the non fighters so it’s pretty basic, but we can all throw strong and technically correct kicks after 2-3 months of regular training. And honestly, if someone attacks me I’m probably not going to throw a side kick or hook kick… just not practical. I like knowing a few kicks really well… I’m guessing that I throw at least 200 round kicks every day, hitting pads (which is a lot better than just kicking the air) or the targeted area on my partner (gently usually- ribs, inner thigh, outer thigh), and I will never forget how to do it.

Spiderwoman
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:07 am

I think thaiboxing, but that’s my experience, I think everybody has his own method to this.

luvmachine
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:32 pm

whatever you enjoy the most.

It gets kind of gay with all the TMA bashing. Full contact MA’s are not for everyone.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?