this will make you mad, i promise

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

jjsmommi2
    Post subject: this will make you mad, i promise PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:22 pm

http://www.fightergirls.com

check out this article

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:34 am

It sounds like the writer witness a “Tough Man” Contest…not a boxing event.
    Boxing is a sport that one has to train to learn…flailing wildly is for the untrained.

[quote]”The worst male fighters know how to play defense, but these girls looked like they’d never been trained. They didn’t even try to protect themselves. There was no effort to dodge, no shifting of weight, no clever, calculated movement of feet. Both girls just kept charging, swinging both fists at the same time. It was like watching six-year-olds fight before they’re old enough to realize that they might be hurt: All you want to do is make it stop.”[/quote]

Of all the women’s bouts I have seen, and these were all MMA and not just boxing, I have only witness one fighter that would fit this description. Even then. she was probably just having an off night.

satanico
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:54 am

It seems he was right about that fight in particular. It was 2 of the worst female boxers around. The loser was Angelina Nelson making her pro debut, who retired after with an 0-1 record. The winner, Jessica Flaharty was 1-0-1 at that point and would lose 4 out of her next 5 and retire. Flaharty was 2nd place out of 6 fighters at 112 lbs. in the 2000 Golden Gloves.

I have watched men’s boxing in run down clubs and seen some horrible fighters who don’t belong there. I know enough not to confuse them with the fighters who are going to make it on TV or PPV.

skiistari
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:14 pm

Given this man’s experience with the sport, all of his observations and opinions are correct. However, he didn’t bother to explore any other side of the sport except that in the “Philly Ghetto”. The women in his world are women who “don’t know their place” who “belong in the kitchen”. Maybe it’s true that these girls he sees have nothing else. Opertunities for succes aren’t exactly abundant in Amish country or the ghetto. I’ve been there, my dad grew up there… this writer describes the area with disdain. How can he call himself a part of it while still speaking with such condescension?

I could forgive his shortsightedness, all the way until the end when he says, “It documents the cheat run on working-class girls who think they might find liberation in the ring, like Rocky did, like all the guys can.”
    If he thinks for one second that “all guys can” find liberation from (what is this liberation from? poverty?) in the ring, I’m sure he’s never tried. I hope he does try and get’s the sh… nevermind.

I think the real reason this man is writing this article is because he is bitter. There’s something missing from his life. He wants to be man enough to step into that ring and earn something for himself, as these untrained women are /trying/ to do, but he can’t. He’s trying to deal with the realization that if he stepped into the ring, his match would end with arms flailing and his head torn off. He’s wondering why he could never succeed in the sport of boxing — I mean, all the fairy tales say that “all guys can” break out of their poor roots through boxing… why can’t he??

Sad little man.

-edit-

P.s. He’s committing slander not only against women fighters, but also against their trainers. I’ve trained with about 12 different amazing fighters and trainers over the past year, and everyone of them (even in Philadelphia — gasp!) was wonderful, respectful, and encouraging.

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:55 am
    Pro Fighter

It’s the worst kind of writing. It is clearly someone with an agenda, trying to write a piece that looks like it’s based solely on his observations. He wants us to think that he started out being open minded and came to his conclusion after thoroughly investigating the subject; the generalisations he makes and the prejudice that is all too evident say otherwise.

BreeZyBabii187
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:21 am

yo, thank you for posting that article, being a female boxer–from PHILLY–i just had to laugh at this guy. it kills me when people who you would imagin having a more open opinion of this kind of issue just comes out and says some sh*t like this. w/e tho, you cant really get mad at that kind of thing, i guess.

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:16 am

Were you part of the event that he is writing about?

jjsmommi2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:57 am

it makes me sad.

BreeZyBabii187
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:05 am

no, i wasn’t part of this particular event, but its even a little bit disheartening to know that i’ve probably met this guy before.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?