Time frame to train for a fight

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

jjsmommi2
    Post subject: Time frame to train for a fight PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:58 am

hello, everyone, I have a few questions for you fighters out there…

for someone who is brand new to kickboxing, (like two weeks new) and a little out of shape (not bad at all)…and who wants to fight at a tournament that is say…roughly three months away…

is it possible to get in condition and learn enough to do well? it is a mma tournament, so i am kicking around the idea of training at an aikido school as well as my kickboxing school….to prepare for the grappling aspect of it. so what do you think?

has anyone jumped feet first into this? or am i just plain crazy?

CTD
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:51 pm

I’m not sure if aikido is your best place to pick up the ground work…no, I lie. I know aikido isn’t the best place to pick up ground work for MMA. Perhaps you’d be better off with BJJ, sub grap or an MMA class for that?

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:17 pm
    Instructor

CTD is correct, you shouldn’t look at an aikido school for grappling (at least none of them that I’ve seen).
    If you weren’t new to the MMA game I’d say that three months is fine. But since you’ve never trained grappling and are just beginning kickboxing I’d say no sooner than 6 months….we normally tell our students a year.

CTD
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:40 pm

Rikki wrote:
    CTD is correct,

Wahooo! That doesn’t happen very often!!! 😛 🙄

Tele
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:53 am

I also agree with CTD. Akido is a beautiful style, but it’s not the best choice for combat-sports. If you like akido for akido’s sake, do it. But if you are thinking you are going to hang on the ground with BJJ/ sambo/or other styles more suited to modern mma rules, you are kidding yourself.

I do know this from personal experience, I have a friend who took years of traditional akido and was great at stand up joint-locking but when he hit the ground was owned pretty fast by serveral people with very little BJJ experience.

As for the tourney, I think you should try it. Why the hell not! Who cares how well you do, it would probably be a great experience for you.

Happy Training

~jen

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:10 am
    Instructor

Quote:
    As for the tourney, I think you should try it. Why the hell not! Who cares how well you do, it would probably be a great experience for you.

If it was a grappling competition I would agree with this. It is an MMA competition though and that is quite different. You will be matched up with someone whose record is comparable (0-0, 0-1, or 1-0) and who knows how long that person has been training. With only fourteen weeks of training you could be facing someone with three years of training – and has just never fought before. You could possibly get seriously hurt…..especially since you don’t train for a ground game.

Tele
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:28 am

Good point, Rikki. I was just saying that the experience couldn’t hurt; maybe it would fuel the fire, so to speak.
    Even if she doesn’t compete, just going there would be beneficial.

I don’t know, don’t listen to me, lol.

~Jen

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:19 pm
    Instructor

Quote:
    just going there would be beneficial.

Sure! Definetly go and watch!

CTD
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:55 pm

Just to clarify, I wasn’t just speaking out of my hat when I expressed the opinion of aikido not being suitable. I have studied aikido (Iwama style, which is a pretty aggressive, hard style) and now study BJJ. Using aikido in an MMA fight is like bringing a banana to a knife fight. It may be a lovely banana, but it will get you killed against a real knife.

Go, watch, learn. Then, go back to a reputable gym and study MMA, grappling, wrestling or a combination of them – then consider competing. Do your body a favour!! 😉

jjsmommi2
    Post subject: thanks guysPostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:05 am

hm, yall have really given me some great advice, this site is awesome!
    I think i’m going to go for it. probably suicide, who knows. its in laffayette, la on march 11. rage in the cage or something to that effect.
    i thought aikido was the best style for grappling….guess i was wrong about that. BJJ sounds great but htere is such a limited amount of schools in louisiana…none that teach BJJ. sux for me. but my trainer was a pro wrestler. so that might be a good thing.

thanks alot everyone.

Tele
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:52 am

I bet there are some schools that you could go to, for example I did search in LA and got these results. I dont know what town you are in or near , so I couldn’t do a more specific search.

http://www.fightergirls.com

Do some search engine work, and I bet you’d find something to suit you. Don’t just settle for something cause its easy, find what YOU want.

Good Luck
    ~Jen

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:51 pm

Go for it, you have got nothing to lose and much to gain!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?