Time to train – article

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Rox21
    Post subject: Time to train – article PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:34 pm
    Pro Fighter

http://www.fightergirls.com

This is the most amazing article I’ve ever read in my life. It’s long, but well worth the read!!!

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:18 pm
    Pro Fighter

Thanks Roxanne. She looses me a bit when she started talking about fighters and winning, etc. I don’t think all fighters are interested in the “W” but more, the challenge and the journey of a fight from start (finding out) and finish (win, lose or draw).

Good read.

adriennaaj
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:42 pm
    Pro Fighter

wonderful article:
    “Be aware of each moment you spend on the mat, because how you experience your time is the only reward you ultimately get for training. It doesn’t get any better than RIGHT NOW.”
    i meet jessi in 2002 at the arnolds, and she seemed to me to be an honest and very intelligent person. I thinkits a good article because it brings up opinions in every aspect of your own training.
    HEATHER, best wishes for april 30! Are you marreid yet? 😛

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:38 pm
    Instructor

Some good things to remember in there.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:01 am
    Pro Fighter

yeah. I feel like if she just switched clubs instead of quitting, she would have been happier… but she does say a lot of good stuff

Jess
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:23 am

Hi all! It’s been years since I’ve been to this site, but I thought I’d log on just to sort of let everyone know abot the bjjnews article in case someone might be interested in it. It was so cool to find out that someone else had already posted the link here! Thank you! 😀

I’m not sure what part of the article that are making some people misinterpret what I did as quitting BJJ altogether. I did take a break from it to try and heal some of the damage I had done to my body and when I did that I realized that I never wanted to go back to THAT academy again. As it was a Gracie owned school, it made things kind of difficult because if my husband and I were to leave we would be branded ‘traitors’ and be unwelcome at the other SF Bay Area schools (all also Gracie owned, albeit by different members of the family)…which is EXACTLY what happened.

So what choice did I have…I figured, screw ’em – Sergio (my husband) and I can start our own damn school! Which is exactly what we did. 8) If anyone wants to check out the site, the URL is: ww.opendoorbjj.com .Not only that but one of our female students (we have five women now who train fairly regularly…YAY!) just took first place at the Copa Pacifica tournament in LA!

I didn’t want to talk about the new Academy much in the article because I didn’t want the story to be percieved as merely a marketing ploy. Serg and I also had to endure a barrage of hate mail, libelous postings on message boards, threats to ourselves and our students, and a hell of a lot of trash talk when we first left, and I didn’t want to stir that pot up again. It has anyway of course, but for the most part the truly assholian BS all comes from one individual who I never had much respect for in the first place, and once I found out who the source was I was honestly more amused than upset and kind of regretted wasting my time defending myself from his accusations when the story first went up.

ANYWAY…if any of y’all ever find yourselves in the San Francisco area and would like to just come in and train with us, we would be delighted to have you. Every person from EVERY Academy is welcome here, no matter what team, organization, or instructor you happen to be affiliated with – hence the name: ‘Open Door Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy’ .

I’m so glad that some of you were able to get something from the article. Knowing that really means a great deal to me. Once again, thanks.

Jessi Taran
    http://www.fightergirls.com

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:03 am
    Pro Fighter

Hi Jess,

There are a lot of Gracie’s like that but Cesar isn’t one of them. We’re in Concord. If you ever want to do any cross training – you can come by with Sergio or students – whatever.

Maybe we’ll pop in for a visit.

Heather

Jess
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 2:53 pm

Hi Heather. Actually, Ceasar seems pretty cool and actually came to our Academy when it first opened just to say ‘Hi’ and let us know that unlike some of his relatives, he himself doesn’t have any ill will towards us. While I know that blood is thicker than water, and that there were probably some other motives for his visit (I’ve been hanging out with Brazilians too long, so please pardon my suspicions…Honestly I didn’t used to think like this…) I couldn’t help but be touched by his gesture of freindship.

We’re still a little shell shocked from everything we had to go through when we first left, and it makes us a bit wary of going into ANY Gracie school but out of all of the affiliated schools in the Bay Area, we would definately be the most comfortable at Ceasars. Actually, we DID go there and train with a group of our students when Gordo was in town for the seminar and all of us felt very welcome – so our thanks to your Academy for that :-).

We’re having Master Ricardo De La Riva at Open Door later this month (May 23-26) to teach a seminar here. Do you think Ceasar would be open to inviting any of the students from your Academy come and check it out? Whenever I get involved with the Gracies, no matter WHO they are, even with the best of intentions, I’m always aware of the fact that I’m dealing with political nuances completely beyond my depth of understanding…or the understanding of any American for that matter.

Because of this I’ve learned to tread very, VERY cautiously. As a matter of fact, I should probably just leave the matter to Sergio and ask HIM if it would be appropriate to send Ceasar’s school an invite (I dont want to put Ceasar in any kind of awkward situation with his family by making it appear that he supports our school’s interests against the wishes of everyone else in the family…If you see what I mean…). If no one there talks about us negatively though, perhaps it means that he would in fact be open to an invite. (De La Riva is literally LEGENDARY…He’s absolutely amazing – and this is coming from someone who been to a LOT seminars taught by fairly famous BJJ fighters). You know the Ceasar Academy side of the situation better than I do…what’s YOUR take on the matter?

I appreciate the gesture of camaraderie by the way. It’s really a breath of fresh air. 🙂 Thanks.

Jess

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:07 pm
    Pro Fighter

Honestly, Cesar isn’t like the rest of them. He’s totally secure with himself and his academy. In fact, when I started training there, I lived in SF and he told me if I wanted to, I could go train at Ralph’s b/c it was so much closer. And that attitude was & is the reason I drive 40 miles one way to train with him. He still gets on the mat and rolls with us. You get what you give at Cesar’s. I bet if you give him the info & ask him to post it on our website gracie fighter. he will put it on the upcoming events calendar.
    You will start a politcal thing with the rest of them by befriending Cesar, but that is their problem. Cesar is his own beast. People from the ‘other gracie’ schools come to us and say…”please don’t tell so&so I’m here” it’s really sad actually.
    Also, I want to tell my friend Jen about your school. She trains off and on with us but really needs a change. There is a link to cesar’s email on the website i think. If not, email me and I’ll give it to you.
    great_laughter@hotmail.com
    Cheers,

H

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?