To move or not to move …. that is the poll

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Lil Katai
    Post subject: To move or not to move …. that is the pollPostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:29 pm
    Pro Fighter

Ok ok … it’s come down the time that I have to fall back on the people that probably understand me the most … fighters. I been living here in Detroit all my life and said how I would never leave this place. For those of you who live here, I know your thinking im crazy, but hear me out.

I been thinking about moving out to San Deigo, Cali. I love the warm wheather and I am more active when it is nice. Not to metion I love the ocean. Here’s the problem….. all my really close friends live here with me and I am real close with my job and my partners. I know I know, I can meat new people in Cali and become good friends with them. However, when I say that I am really close with the people here, I mean I am really close and would probably depressed for a while after I move.

So, here the question ….. do I move out to Cali or stay here in MI and find new things out here to do?

Ive never been past Chicago so in other words, I dont know what its like on the other side of the states. I know Cali is going to be outragous in cost, however, Im going out there July to stay with a friend for 2 weeks. While I am out there Im going to look into the sheriffs departments out there for hiring and also look at the pay and if I can live like I am here out there, them it’s a match. The hardest part is actually getting up and doing it. If this happens, Im thinking about moving next year.

So …… I need your help! Vote vote vote ……. please conside good places to train as well but dont make that the top thought. Feelins people, think about feelings! Im pretty heart strucken when it comes to my friends. 🙄

starbellykeith
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:05 am

I’m not a fighter but if you are asking in general about San Diego and traveling I’ll help you out. I choose to live in MD/DC despite the humidity mainly because of friends and family and a cool job so I can relate to your reluctance. That being said *MOVE*!!!

(A) with e-mail being free and long distance rates so cheap you can at least keep in touch through your transition. If they are real friends they’ll find a way to support you just as you would them. My support network consists of people from San Francisco to New York City so I know what you’ll be going through.

(B) San Diego is great! Not just the annoyingly great weather but the culture you won’t quite find any place else.  is one of my favorite places in the US. The whole duality of SD and Tijuana in a love/hate relationship is intriguing. Day drives to places like  … 081103.htm for a little variety give you more options than we get elsewhere in the US. I love it so much even when I travel to other destinations I fly to SD and drive from there like  just so I can have the last night in SD! Did I mention I love SD?

(C) You owe it to yourself to follow your dreams. Wanna look back when you are old and grey and wonder “what if”? Want your last breath to be a curse or a sigh? Are you busy living or dying? Living in MI and haven’t been past *CHICAGO*?!? I drove past Chicago just two weeks ago and I live in DC (metro area)!!! It’s an 11 hour drive from here BTW and a total of 18 to MN from here. Point is there is a whole world out there.

(D) You can always go back if things don’t work out. Visit home every other month or once a quarter.

(E) In SD you have Abu Dhabi Absolute division winner Dean Lister at City Boxing to train with. Isn’t Eddie Bravo around there? He is the only person to have submitted Royler Gracie. Others living closer may be able to give you better advice on what is “driving distance” to train but using *my* definition there are Machado and Gracie schools up and down I-5 all the way to San Francisco.

Okay, traffic can suck and costs are high compared to much of the US.

Speaking of travel…gotta run,
    KM

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:18 am

I say move…but you already knew that 🙂
    I moved away from Louisville, Kentucky, my home town, a year and a half ago to Tucson, Arizona. Tucson is not the best place in the world, but change is good! I left some friends behind, but I’ve maintained contact with my REAL friends.

This is not the first time that I moved from my hometown. 5 years ago, I moved to Dallas Texas due to some online friends that lived there who talked me into it. I wanted to venture out, and that is where I ended up. I made my decision to move spontaneously. 3 weeks later, I’m in Dallas. It was crazy.

On my way to Dallas, my car broke down. I was stuck in Memphis for a week. I was running low on money. I wasn’t on speaking terms with my parents, yet I had to ask them to send me money to get my car fixed. It cost me $600, and the car was barely worth that much! I finally left Memphis and right outside of Dallas, there was a fog rolling in. I couldn’t read the road signs, so I pulled over to read my map. I happened to pull over into a construction area where there was lots of clay/mud. My car got stuck. I tried getting my car unstuck for hours until someone with a truck stopped and pulled my car out. I was lucky. I was exhausted, broke, but I finally made it to Dallas. Turns out, Dallas sucks! 😛 I did not like Dallas at all. I trained at Guy Mezger’s Lion’s Den, and that wasn’t too bad, but it wasn’t as good as I had hoped either. That was the only good thing about Dallas. I was there for 7 months and eventually moved back to Kentucky.

That experience sucked, yet I would do it again. I learned a whole lot from that experience and I was proud of myself for acting on my impulse to move. You can’t ignore those feelings.

Like you, I have an immense attraction to the ocean. I can’t deny that. I’m sitting in the Desert right now. It’s warm weather, but this is not what I want. I need to live near a beach…and that is that. My friends, if they were real friends, would understand.

Keep in mind that you being in San Diego gives your friends an excuse (and a place to stay) to go to San Diego. 😉

Ask your friends. See what they say.

Coincidently, I’m thinking about moving to San Diego next year. At least somewhere in South Cali, but not L.A.

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:49 am

Eddie Bravo is near L.A., but I’ve heard good things about City Boxing.

Lil Katai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:35 pm
    Pro Fighter

Well, for the most part I do believe that my friends would all understand. Like me, they would all be sad, but they would all understand. It’s not their thoughts that are giving me the problems of moveing, it’s mine. I don’t want to leave them.

People have told me that I can just come back if I dont like it. The problem with that is that I work for the sheriffs department and if I moved, I would try and work for them out there as well. Problem lies in the fact that with a job like this, it’s hard to just pick up and go and come back whenever I fell like it. There is a lot involved int he transactions and also with senority on the job. If I switch, I lose it all and have to start over.

Not to metion having to move all my stuff accros the US. I know I know .. Im making excuses now. But honestly, this is what is keeping me from going right now.

🙄 ❓

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:06 pm

Well…it is really good that you have the opportunity to check the place out for a couple of weeks before going. I didn’t get to do that for either of my two moves. I won’t make that mistake again.

alicia
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:06 pm

I know exactly how you feel!! I moved to San Diego from a small town in little ole Vermont!! I just up and moved, solely to train with the BJJ instructor I’m with now. I felt the exact same things you’re feeling. I didn’t want to leave all of my friends or co-workers (in fact, almost all of us were crying at my office going away party). I’d never lived anywhere except Vermont, and had barely even traveled outside of New England. But once I visited San Diego (for a seminar with my instructor, and to check out the city) I was hooked. I visited in February and by September of that year I was living in San Diego. Yes, it’s expensive out here, and it was rough at first. But I’ve made a ton of new friends, some of them are people I can’t see my life without.

I do miss everyone back in Vermont, but I don’t regret moving. Everyone told me to do it while I didn’t have anything tying me down (no kids, no boyfriend/husband, etc.).

I would love to meet up with you while you’re in town, and definitely if you move out here.

As far as places to train, City Boxing is great, especially since you’re a fighter. My school is mainly BJJ oriented, and isn’t much of a competition school (right now I’m pretty much the competition team). But there are TONS of places to train out here. You just need to do what you feel is right for you.

chad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:02 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

This topic brings back memories….. I moved to CA in 1989 from a tiny town in Minnesota hahah… I have to be one to admit I love Orange County and think of it as paradise…. I was in the same position leaving a great job, really young and no friends in CA…. I am soo glad I took the chance and made it work.. Yes making it work is the biggest part because I have seen soo many people come to CA but leave without giving it a chance or even going out to see what this great state has to offer… I have to be one to admit CA is a little $$$$ but the jobs pay more…

Well, only thing I can offer is my own feeling about CA I wish you the best luck with your decision..

Chad

Oh yeah Debi hates it when I tell everyone I grew up in Huntington Beach and went to the same school as her Edison High 😆 😆 😆

Martial Arts Fan
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:50 pm

This is a tough question to answer. Different people have different values.

Personally I wouldn’t move unless I have a very good reason. Weather is not enough in my opinion. The only two reasons I would move to another city are family (eg, following your spouse, moving closer to your parents etc.) and financial (if I get a promotion or better job or I’m starting a business). Since I don’t think any of these two reasons apply to you, I wouldn’t move.

Then again different people have different values, the circumstances under which I’d move may be different from the circumstances under which you’d consider a move. Good luck with your decision!

Lil Katai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:17 pm
    Pro Fighter

Right now I am still kinda sitting on the boarder of if I want to leave everything here and go to CA. However, I know that once I go tere in a couple weeks, that Im not going to want to come back.

I was talking about if I do go that I would leave next year. I think I will wait a couple more years and see how I feel then. I know Im still going to want to move. Nothing can change my mind about the ocean. But I think I will aslo hold out till I get all my back det paid off and I can save a little money.

So far everyone on here is telling me to move. Some of my friends think Im bullshitting, and some pf my partners here at work dont want me to go but said that they dont want to stop me from doing what I want to do.

Life is a bitch some times.

Lil Katai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:40 pm
    Pro Fighter

alicia

Hell yeah, I would love to meet up. I will be out there for two weeks so I will have plenty of time. Do you surf?

Drop me a line at my email and I will shoot you my cell and we can talk more about it.

Lilmight1881@fastmail.fm

Hook
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:49 pm

Okay I am going to say move. I am saying this after literlly sitting here for almost for ten minutes contemplating on what to tell you. I am also from KY, actually I 30 away from where HnS is held. Anyways I moved cross country to Colorado with a lot of reservations and like you were close to alot of people and had my whole family here.

But moving there was actually the best thing that has ever happened to me for several reasons. I saw that there was a whole differnt world out there,. I met new friends. I started a new life. I met new friends. I got involved in something that is known in these parts of the woods called k-9 Search and Rescue and that became my passion and I knew what I wanted to do. It introduced me to so many things that I would have never found if I had stayed here. Yes I was depressed when I first moved out there, but that comes with change. I kept in contact with my family and I survived.

You are young and you have the chance to move and make this change and take this chance why not do it? I am willing to bet that that you will like it. There is nothing like the west. I have since moved back to Ky because I had to due to unfornseen circumstances but I can gaurentee you that one day I will move back out west again. Just because of the taste that I had back then.

Whatever desicion you make I wish you luck. Just make sure ya let me know because now I have severe cramps in my thumb and I want to know that there was some good might have come out of it. 😆 Good luck.

Jerzey
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:00 pm

I say NO. I am one of the most displaced souls ever. I have moved back and forth between NJ and NC for 8 years. I move every 1-2 years. Ihave a terrible time establishing residence, my mail goes to 6 different addresses, I lose touch with people, my training is inconsistant and skewered, I gain and lose weight in increments of 30 lbs, and I am left with a big ❓ when I look into my future.

Now I am in Tennessee. Out of my comfort zome of NC, away from my ageing parents and family in NJ, and away from my team that I trained with for 3 years.

Before you move, make sure you have a job secured for when you get there, you have money to live on for a few months, and you have a place you are COMFORTABLE training at that co-insides with your style.

AND just my opinion… I F’N HATE California. Marie, they are weired as hell over there. VISIT FIRST!!!

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:24 pm

“I F’N HATE California. Marie, they are weired as hell over there. VISIT FIRST!!!

LOL!!

I agree with the “visit first” thing….but honestly, people are weird everywhere. I have lived in New Jersey, Kentucky, Texas and Arizona. There are weird people everywhere.

scarce
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:53 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

..i will move from chicago to miami……in a couple of weeks…..how is the humidity there??????

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:09 pm

I hear the ocean is pretty humid

😉 🙂

Lil Katai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:43 pm
    Pro Fighter

“Marie, they are weired as hell over there. VISIT FIRST!!!”

I think this is the funniest shit I have heard in a few days now! LOL

I am Tara, Im going out there next week. I dont have a plane ticket yet or even a place to stay, by my vacation days are in here at work and even if I have to drive their myself, dammit, Im going! 😈

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will know for usre once I get there on what I want to do. I have decided though that if I do move out there, it wont be for the next three years so that I can get all my et paid off and start over.
    I posted it on a different thread, I need a place to crash while Im out there from July8th – July 21st …… any takers wanna let me stay with them for a while? I be good, promise! 😉

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?