UFC Petition to Add Females to the Fight Card

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

tinaXXX
    Post subject: UFC Petition to Add Females to the Fight Card PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:13 pm

😀 I may be crazy, but… 😀 I started a petition to the UFC promoters to make a female division. How else are we going to get national attention, unless somebody starts the UFFC (Ultimate Female Fighting Championship)?. Check it out at http://www.fightergirls.comReport this post Post details Warn user Delete post

Top E-mail Edit post Reply with quote

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:54 pm

Yes ofcourse!
    Will bring female MMA more mainstream, more matches, more publicity…
    But will this petition work?

By the way, the voting system isn’t working well, site goes offline when you vote..

Report this post Post details Warn user Delete post

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:03 pm

Not a good idea at the moment.

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:49 pm
    Pro Fighter

Definitely. However, the first match needs to be very carefully chosen. I know there are a lot of people that want to see “fan favorites” or people chosen by the way they look etc…, but it really needs to be a matchup based on the highest level of skill. If the UFC ends up chosing a blatent mismatch it is going to reflect horribly on the sport and no women wil get the chance to fight again.

If it is a matchup based on both opponents being well rounded and at an even, high level of skill it will really promote the women to keep fighting in a venue like this as well as educate the fans. The first fight needs be be a good example of how far we have come, not what we are trying to get away from.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:32 pm
    Instructor

My thoughts exactly Maulinator.

satanico
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:57 pm

I think the way the UFC is going it would have to be 2 strikers since they have quick standups. I also think most UFC crowds would prefer 2 hot girls with medicore skills swinging wildly than 2 well-rounded fighters.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:01 pm
    Instructor

There are good looking “top fighters” though – they don’t need to get women with mediocre skills.

satanico
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:27 pm

Too much grappling and they get booed. Too much damage from strikes to women and fans will cringe. The UFC has some of the dumbest crowds and they love toughman fighting more than excellent MMA.

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:28 pm

The problem with this idea is that there are too few elites in women’s mma @ EACH weight class. There would be rematches of rematches if UFC only fielded the good people for a given weight class, which have to be somewhere between 128 and 136 which is where American women dominate. That, and the gap in skill level between the top people and everyone else is huuuuuuuuuuuuge. More time is needed before this becomes a good idea.

tinaXXX
    Post subject: It’s workingPostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:58 am

I’m sorry if you had trouble with the voting, but it works. The server seems to hang at times.

warrior14
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:26 pm
    Pro Fighter

Considering they JUST NOW added back the lightweight men, I think it’ll still be awhile until the UFC adds a women’s division.

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:25 am

UFC shouldn’t wiat that long..
    I’ve heard that Pride also was talking about women division, but didn’t heard any follow up, that would be just awesome.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:31 am
    Pro Fighter

derUbermensc, why not?

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:11 pm

Rox21 wrote:
    derUbermensc, why not?

Like I said above, for there’s not enough elites in the weight classes most American women compete in. Maulinator’s right in that the first match-up would have to rigourously calculated to be the best possible show that can be put on, but for me I ask the question, then what else? There’s not enough quality fighters yet to fill out such an effort over a long period of time and I don’t see the UFC bringing in ol’ anybody to fight, especially when the skill level between someone like yourself and a lot of others is noticeable. Plus they’d have a weight class, most likely 135/6, and that would exclude a number of people as well, thus narrowing down who’d be able to compete and possibly magnifying the first problem.

This is just suspicion, however, as the whole problem could be overturned if enough women see these fights, and go “hey, I can do that too”, and then its problem solved, though not immediately. So, take my minor objection as you will

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:34 pm
    Instructor

I don’t necessarily think they need a whole division. I just think they need to put the occasional women’s match on the card. Prelims even!

anna
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:38 am

I’m not sure it’s a good idea just yet.
    It seems unlikely the un-educated public will respond well to female fights when MMA in general isn’t completely main stream as it is.

Also, although the standard of female mma has improved hugely, I don’t think there are ENOUGH women fighters of the standard that is expected in the UFC to make a decent female division.

It wouldn’t do the acceptance of female mma any good if high profile shows put on fights at a lower standard “just because they’re women”.

In the future however I think these problems will be resolved if more and more women keep getting involved, competing and improving as they are.

tinaXXX
    Post subject: Just one match.PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:55 am

(I accidentally posted to a new topic http://www.fightergirls.com

Rikki wrote:
    I don’t necessarily think they need a whole division. I just think they need to put the occasional women’s match on the card. Prelims even!

Good point. The UFC started out as a trial.

Perhaps start out with a match-up of top-notch fighters who are imported from other countries like Thailand, Holland, Australia, Japan, etc… Then get the American public thinking, “Hey, are there any females around here who can fight?” Questions start the education process. We have brave pioneers in the sport who could open the doors and step forward. I wonder how females ever got to be pro wrestlers…

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:50 am
    Pro Fighter

I think there is a bigger quantity of higher skilled female MMA’rs in America than there are in other countries right now. However with all countries combined, there may be a chance of being able to create and actual division. It would have to be somewht open weight though, or at least within 15-20 pounds of each other.

Just getting an occasional fight on the show would be fine for now, at least.

Sudoraba
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:23 am

Maulinator wrote:
    I think there is a bigger quantity of higher skilled female MMA’rs in America than there are in other countries right now.

Even in Japan? Where there are more female MMA events than anywhere easily? I mean Smackgirl even has an amateur division. And Megumi Yabushita even has an SOD Women’s MMA Dojo.

KC04
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:04 am

I don`t see it happening under the current management. Dana White would be a major obsticle. I mean he is very smile person, I really doubt that he cares for women`s fighting so much. Probaby, the best way for women to get into UFC is too start women`s division in PRIDE, which is a more respected organization and that would put more pressure on UFC.

MNkkgMMA
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:00 am
    Pro Fighter

I am a female fihter and would like nothin more than to have women’s fihtin go all the way. But I think the sport needs to spend a little more time infiltrating the main stream. There will be way more public out cry about the sport if women were fihting for ufc right now. I dont think it’s going to happen any time soon. MMA is just on the brink of being a hue success, and a good push in either direction could either bring it all the way, or send it right back underground. The UFC has to be careful about what they choose do do that “pushing”. As a business venture for UFC women’s fighting just isn’t a ood idea right now.

Sudoraba
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:42 am

No doubt it would happen in Pride long before the UFC ever does it. Pride Bushido is closer tied with the DEEP promotion, whose promoter is a Bushido match maker. DEEP as a result feeds a lot of fighters to Bushido. Satoko Shinashi fights every other DEEP show and is a two time Smackgirl champion and has recently stated her intentions of being the first woman competitor in Pride.

Definitely I’d see women in Pride before the UFC. Heck Japan in general will be more accepting of women in the big show. When Yuka Tsuji fought in the 2003 Inoki Bom Ba Ye that was the first time a woman has fought on a NYE promotion.

tinaXXX
    Post subject: The publicPostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:33 am

I live in the U.S., so I admit to ignorance about the rest of the (fight)world. I immensely appreciate Sudoraba’s input about Japan. I also admit to the ignorance of any mainstream, or public response to, professional female sports. All I want to do is present the UFC with a petition that supports the inclusion of women, whatever the outcome.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?