Upcoming Carano vs. Evinger in Elite XC

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

erinjwebb
    Post subject: Upcoming Carano vs. Evinger in Elite XC Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:29 pm

–excerpt from Elite XC Press Release for upcoming Sep. 15 card
    SHOWTIME, ELITEXC PRESENTS BIGGEST MMA EVENT IN HAWAII HISTORY – SEPT. 15, 2007
    One would be hard pressed to find an athlete in any sport whose star has risen as far and as fast as the incredibly popular, personable Carano (4-0), who is signed to a multi-year contact with EliteXC.
    Since a breakthrough performance during EliteXC’s debut event on SHOWTIME in February–her epic victory over Julie Kedzie came in the first nationally televised women’s bout—Carano spent the following months pursuing various outside the ring ventures, including doing fight commentary, interviews, photo shoots and starring in Oxygen’s “Fight Girls” reality television series.
    It’s apparent the moment you meet Gina that she’s the epitome of strength; a strong woman by any measure you elect to use: mentally, spiritually and physically. Yes, she is more than a pretty face.
    Carano, 24, of Las Vegas, was slated to fight June 2 but contracted an intestinal virus while shooting the Oxygen show in Thailand. She was hospitalized a week for dehydration.
    “I’m healthy now and feeling great,’’ said Carano, who trains at Xtreme Couture in Las Vegas. “I was feeling better a week before the June 2 fight, but that wasn’t enough time so I had to withdraw.’’
    Carano, who got national notoriety for her quote — “We’re not hitting tennis balls. We’re hitting people. Isn’t that more exciting?” — knows better than to underestimate the rugged Evinger.
    “I don’t take anyone lightly,’’ Gina said. “I know I’ve got a big target on me, so I don’t care what a person’s record is, I’m going to train hard and be completely healthy for it.’’
    Gina had better be fit.
    Evinger (4-2, 4 KOs), of Oak Grove, Mo., is regarded as one of the meanest, roughest, toughest athletes in MMA. Her family owns a racetrack, but she doesn’t horse around in a cage.
    The confident, fast-taking Evinger, a slammer and banger in the truest sense, doesn’t come to merely win, but to dominate and destroy. A nationally recognized former grappling champion who participated in the Pan American Games, she has been wrestling 13 years, training in jiu-jitsu for four years and kick-boxing for three.
    “This fight could make my career, so I want to win bad.’’ said Evinger, who moonlights as a construction worker at a cement factory. “I can’t tell you yet how she’ll take a loss because I don’t know exactly how tough she is. I guess I will find out soon enough.
    “Hopefully this will be an exciting fight all around with me winning. My wrestling is the stuff so all I have to worry about is beating my opponent’s standup. I can take her game away and I think that is the most important part. I want to throw and I know Gina will, so we’ll see who has the heavier hands.
    “I love to knock opponents out and that’s what I’m going to do, but I will never risk a fight on a KO if I have a submission available. Either way, Carano had better take a good look in the mirror before the fight because she won’t be able to recognize her face when I am done with her.’’

satanico
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:42 am

Classic wrestler vs. striker match. I hope Evinger hits some big takedowns and works quickly on the ground.

ShdwPrwler
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:30 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

Unlike when Gina fought Julie, this fight will be 3 x 5 minute rounds. Therefore, I’m hoping for a stand-up war with Gina getting the KO victory at the 4:50 mark of the 3rd round. 😀

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:06 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

not sure it will matter. at this point i think gina is pretty comfortable with her ground game too especially working with randy…she’s a “natural” who picks up all forms very quickly. another former street fighter who’s only actually been fight training and in muay thai a few years yet dominated a seasoned and excellent mma vet in julie kedzie, who, also showed what warrior she was by hangin in there…

however, tonya is also a tough motha f’er herself, fearless, and as in all fights anything is possible. tonya says she wants to throw and doubt she’ll back down from that challenge…which, is exactly what gina wants so i would expect a war from the opening bell. ShdwPrwler you may just get a lot of that 4:50 of 3×5 “hagler/hearns style” would be killer but not sure it could last that long. 😉 and if it ever gets to the ground i’m pretty sure gina wouldn’t mind sending a message by taking out a highly experience ground girl at her own game…either way it should be a great barometer fight.

and btw…gotta dig the major smack talk by tonya…”Carano had better take a good look in the mirror before the fight because she won’t be able to recognize her face when I am done with her.’’ …win or lose she’s a badass who comes to bring it! 😈

*also would like to eventually see gina and cris cyborg, that will be *the* major collision course right now…but think gina will need to be more solid around 150+ for that fight.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?