WARD DEFEATS MIKU, AKANO OVER HELSEL @ Smackgirl 9/15

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

derUbermensc
    Post subject: WARD DEFEATS MIKU, AKANO OVER HELSEL @ Smackgirl 9/15 Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:52 am

We’ll have results up in a little bit @ Complete Vale Tudo Access. But just looking at the Japanese, Lisa Ward deserves an award for neck cranking MIKU. Helsel fell to Akano’s armbar. Tomomi liver blowed Seri. Takeshita beat Nakamura to become Next Cinderella Champion. I’ll be sendin those questions in a bit Rox

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:54 am

Also, if I can get a mini-interview with Ward, that’d be good for the blog

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:26 am

From Complete Vale Tudo Access:

Quote:
    [center]Image[/center]

Champions were crowned last night in Tokyo’s Korakuen Hall, an arena where many a fighter has received such an accolade. Hitomi Akano became the 2nd Smackgirl Middleweight Champion while Kanako Takeshita was crowned 2006 Smackgirl Next Cinderella Middleweight Champion and Fukuko Hamada found herself named Flyweight Champion of the same tournament. The night, however, was full of feats competiting in impressiveness.

Takeshita overcame Sakura Nakamura only three minutes and nine seconds into their tournament final bout, which ended by armbar.

Masako Yoshida proved to the judges she was the better fighter as she’d taken home a unanimous decision after exhausting the time limit with opponent Eri Kanetari. In the first round, Yoshida timed a counter-punch to the body perfectly against Kanetari’s front kick. Yoshida spent the majority of the first round earning points from effectively delivering right low kicks without considerable resistance. Kanetari finally reacted late in the round by catching Yoshida on a kick and taking her down. However, time wasn’t on Kanetari’s side as Yoshida’s effective turtle defense frustrated Kanetari’s offense as the bell rang.

In the second round, Kanetari looked to replicate her belated first round defense by again catching one of Yoshida’s kicks. Yoshida’s strong guard game refused Kanetari further offense and the two were stood-up due to the thirty-second ground rule. The remainder of the contest saw the fighters exchanging blows, with Yoshida getting the better of the exchanges. The judges saw Yoshida’s superior striking as a reason to award her victory.

The seventh bout of the evening was a contest between a pair of fighters who’d be out of action for over a year. Mai and Fuuka also exhausted the time limit in their bout. In the first, Fuuka broke the ice by delivering a right low kick and right middle kick to Mai. Fuuka utilized punches to open up an oppurtunity for a takedown, achieving her aim despite Mai’s attempts to maintain distance by repeatedly throwing kicks whenever Fuuka attempted to close, landing in half guard. With nothing accomplished within the thirty second window, the fighters were stood up. Mai again left loose a kick to maintain distance, but this time Fuuka caught the kick to force a single leg takedown. After the break, Mai threw a right straight which Fuuka ducked under for the takedown. Mai made the most of her situation within the grappling time limit, trying for an armbar, but was stood up. A chance at a right hook was met with yet another takedown by Fuuka. The bell rang before either could go any further.

The second round was more of the first, as Mai continued to unsuccessfuly land a clean blow, answered again and again by a takedown. Fuuka was able to land a right low kick and a right middle kick as she did in the first round, no doubt a suprise in lieu of the pattern she’d established. At the end of the second round, the judges saw a unanimous decision befitting Fuuka’s efforts.

America up-and-comer Lisa Ward made her Smackgirl debut against the highly praised MIKU of Club Barbarian in a Lightweight contest. The round began with MIKU landing a right straight and low kick to Ward. MIKU shot in for a double-leg takedown, but found herself in a guillotine. MIKU chose to wait out the submission as Smackgirl’s infamous thirty-second ground rule cut Ward’s offense short.

The match’s resumption saw Ward absorb a strong left low kick but able to take MIKU down nonetheless. MIKU gained half guard as Ward delivered a powerful blow to MIKU’s side. It was then that a tear was noticed in MIKU’s glove and time was spent fixing the anomaly before resuming the bout with both fighters on their feet. Ward throw MIKU down via headlock, to which MIKU responded with an armbar from her regained guard. Ward, no doubt looking for a way out of an almost complete armbar, slammed MIKU to escape. However, slamming is an illegal technique in Smackgirl and Ward was orally cautioned. Resuming the bout, Ward had taken MIKU down with a strong double-leg into something like side control against the ropes, where she used what space she had to transition from a neck crank to armbar, finishing MIKU at the mark of three minutes and four seconds.
    After the bout, in a comment to inquiring media, Club Barbarian President Rian Fukumoto remarked that MIKU’s loss was mostly to be attributed to her body frame not being able to pack on more muscular mass at 52KG, and that she’d probably begin regularly competing at her more natural weight of 48KG.

Windy Tomomi made her return to the ring known in a viscious manner. She frustrated Seri’s attempts at taking the fight to the ground against the superior striker before brutally ending the bout via a liver punch that saw Seri crumble to the mat.

In the night’s main event, Hitomi Akano battle America’s Molly Helsel for the title of Smackgirl Middleweight Champion. The bout saw Akano again and again pressing for her patented throwing techniques and takedowns until finally securing an armbar in the second round, where previously she’d looked for leg locks. After the bout, Akano had taken to the microphone, informing the gathered crowd of the great training her teammates had supplied her and declaring that Women’s MMA was to take off from hereafter, a claim well warranted by the number of high-quality contests this year.

Upper Life Presents Smackgirl 2006: Hold Your Own
    September 15th, 2006
    Korakuen Hall
    Tokyo, Japan
    Doors Open: 18:00
    Fights Start: 18:30

Official Results:

Open, 2R 5M
    Tama-Chan (Tomoe-Gumi) defeated Natsuko Kamei (MMA Angura) by submission via armbar at 3:13 of the first round

52 KG, 2R 5M
    Kyoko Takabayashi (ALIVE) defeated Akiko Naito (Wajyutsu Keisyukai RJW) by unanimous decision after 5:00 of the second round

48 KG, 2R 5M
    Ayumi Saito (MMA Angura) defeated Ikuko Tamada (Abe Ani Combat Club) by unanimous decision after 5:00 of the second round

2006 Smackgirl Next Cinderella Flyweight Semifinal
    48 KG, 2R 5M
    Fukuko Hamada (MMA Angura) defeated KM-MAKI (RISE FIGHT CLUB) by unanimous decision after 5:00 of the second round
    *Hamada is declared 2006 Smackgirl Next Cinderella Flyweight Tournament Champion

2006 Smackgirl Next Cinderella Middleweight Final
    58 KG, 2R 5M
    Kanako Takeshita (Wajyutsu Keisyukai Tokyo Headquarters) defeated Sakura Nakamura (Zendokai Headquarters) by submission via armbar at 3:09 of the first round
    *Takeshita is declared 2006 Smackgirl Next Cinderella Middleweight Tournament Champion

48 KG, 2R 5M
    Masako Yoshida (NATIVE SPIRIT) defeated Eri Kanetari (Wajyutsu Keisyukai A3) by unanimous decision after 5:00 of round two

52 KG, 2R 5M
    Fuka (JD Star) defeated Mai (Team Shingawa) by unanimous decision after 5:00 of round two

48KG, 2R 5M
    Lisa Ward (United Fight Team) defeated MIKU (Club BARBARIAN) by submission via armbar at 3:04 of round one

54 KG, 2R 5M
    WINDY Tomomi (PANCRASEism) defeated Seri (Tomoe-Gumi) by KO via left hook to body at 2:15 of round one

Smackgirl World Middleweight Championship
    58 KG, 2R 5M
    Hitomi Akano (Abe Ani Combat Club) defeated Molly Helsel (Apex Jiu-Jitsu) by submission via armbar at 1:32 of round two.
    * Akano is declared 2nd Smackgirl World Middleweight Champion

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:01 am

I am glad Molly at least got the shot…I wish her all the best and hope to see her soon.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:00 pm
    Instructor

Congratulations to Lisa! I wish there was more detail on Molly’s fight. I can’t even get a feel for how long it lasted. Hopefully both of these women will be invited back to Japan!

XcashXmoneyX
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:42 pm
    Pro Fighter

man that sucks molly lost…but she fought a badass girl so its all good.
    i think its funny that mikus trainer blames it on a physique issue…but lisa is the real deal in the lightweight division. and, shes not just muscle. could it be that miku was just out-classed? i dont know much about her but i think thats what it was.

congrats to both girls for representing on the other side of the world…great job!

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:56 pm

XcashXmoneyX wrote:
    man that sucks molly lost…but she fought a badass girl so its all good.
    i think its funny that mikus trainer blames it on a physique issue…but lisa is the real deal in the lightweight division. and, shes not just muscle. could it be that miku was just out-classed? i dont know much about her but i think thats what it was.

congrats to both girls for representing on the other side of the world…great job!
    To be fair, MIKU really should only be fighting @ 48KG which is about 105LB. Her frame is really thin.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:05 pm
    Instructor

Quote:
    To be fair, MIKU really should only be fighting @ 48KG which is about 105LB. Her frame is really thin.
    Maybe she should be, but it sounds bad for her trainer to say that’s why she lost. If that was the case he should’ve never let her fight at the higher weight.
    When I fought I knew it was too heavy a weight class for me. So when I lost I didn’t say “It was only because I wasn’t as big as her!”

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:20 am

Yeah.

Pics

Mighty Me
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:32 pm

where can i find more pics?

gretamobetta
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:49 pm
    Pro Fighter

LONG LIVE THE FIGHTERGIRLS! HI Molly!!!! NO Ice BABY……See you soon, Im soming to the Bay area for a few months, I leave next Sat. Im coming to visit, and buy more clothes.

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:54 am

Mighty Me wrote:
    where can i find more pics?
    These ones are all from Gravity

More

Mai (Black) vs. Fuuka (White)

Masako Yoshida vs. Eri Kanetari (Black)

Kanako Takeshita (Black) vs. Sakura Nakamura (Black w/White Highlight)

Fukuko Hamada (Red) vs. KM-MAKI (Black)

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:45 pm
    Pro Fighter

bout review says that Eri Kaneya ‘s name is, well, Kaneya. And they’re Japanese so maybe that’s correct 🙂

Josh Barnett
    Post subject: Great eventPostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:53 pm
    Pro Fighter

I was there cornering and helping Tamada, Fuuka and Akano that night. It was tough to watch Tamada not be able to get her offense going but it was awesome to see Fuuka pick it up as the fight went longer and get the biggest win of her career so far.

Super Duper congrats to Akano and her new belt. I wish I could have stayed to help her inthe corner for that one but I had to go to a TV shoot for TBS.

Lisa really put herself on the map in Japan with that win and while I think Miku is too thin as well I would say she should add muscle instead of lose more weight. She doesnt have the fat to lose so it would only be muscle and water loss. I wonder what she weighed in at?

Josh

Lisa_Ward
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:32 pm
    Pro Fighter

I weighed in at 51.7 kg. and MIKU weighed in at 51.8 kg. Miku is very small! I am so used to fighting up weight all the time so being the same weight as her made her seem tiny to me. I didn’t cut weight. Fighting at my natural weight felt great!

The fight actually happened a little differently then explained in the review. I leg kicked her right off the bat, then she hit me with a (I think) a straight cross. She hits hard! I forget how we got to the ground, but I found myself front choking her very tightly. We stood back up ( 30 second rule) and I got grazed with a head kicked as I shot in and got a single leg. I stepped threw with a trip and we landed pretty hard. I think I took top end and threw a few body shots. Back on our feet again and we tied up and I threw her in a head and arm throw. It was a pretty good toss and as soon as we hit the ground she was scrambling trying to take my back. Next thing I new I was getting arm bared. My elbow was out of the pocked, but she was not letting go. I picked her up and dropped back to the ground. I wasn’t supposed to do that, so I received a warning. Back to our feet and I threw her again in the head and arm throw. I was in side mount holding the head and arm and I hooked her arm under my leg in an Americana. I lifted her head and she tapped. Hopefully I will get to go back in November. I have to decide if I want to go down to 48 kg or stay at 52 kg. We’ll see!

Molly’s fight was good. She landed some great shots on Akano while standing. Defiantly the aggressor on their feet. Molly did well keeping Akano from taking her down a bunch of times by keeping her hips away and not playing her game. Akano did taker her down a few times in good judo throws, but Molly responded well. Akano pulled out the win with a good tight arm bar in the second round. It was a great trip to Japan and defiantly a huge eye opener of the level of respect the Japanese have for fighters. I can’t wait to go back!

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:56 am
    Instructor

Thanks for the play by play, Lisa. It sounds like you and Molly both had good fights!

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:02 am
    Pro Fighter

Yup – it was definitely an experience! Although I lost I am glad I took the fight and grateful for the opportunity. I think both Lisa and I had less then 2 weeks notice because she called me immediately after I got notice for the fight.

Japan was insane, I ended up going out there by myself (my corner had passport problems last minute). So navigating Japan alone on my first international trip ever was challenging but fun. I can’t tell you how happy I was to see Lisa and Eddie a day and a half later! 😆

The theme for the preparation for this fight was “Murphy’s Law” – pretty much everything that could have gone wrong did. Including but not limited to – and this all went down the week before the fight: an ear infection, bronchitis, a killer leg injury making it difficult to train properly, cutting 13 pounds (4 or 5 the night before and 8 the day of the fight), oh yeah and the whole no corner thing.

No excuses though, Akano is very talented and I don’t regret taking the fight for a second. Watching tape on her I was thinking this girls game is very limited because you see the same thing over and over again. But when you have that kind of game plan I suppose one gets VERY VERY good at it.

As far as the fight itself, Lisa pretty much summed it up, but is probably giving me more credit than I deserve. I am pretty dissapointed in myself, but hope I might have an opportunity for a rematch sometime in the future. I think with more time to prepare things might have gone a little better for me. I feel that the Japanese fighters are a lot different than any American fighter I ever fought.

Good times over all though! I am glad I finally got a stamp on my passport and now I know what to expect if I am fortunate enough to get another chance fighting in Japan again.

yas
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:32 am

thnx for the reports girls!! in what way are american girls different then the japanese girls to fight??

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?