what will be the “Pride” of women’s MMA?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Sudoraba
    Post subject: what will be the “Pride” of women’s MMA? PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:35 am

Smackgirl: The oldest and most popular of women’s MMA events. But the rules are behind the times with the 30 second time limit originally enacted to attract female kickboxing talent. The best fighters IMO, Shinashi Sato and Yuka Tsuji I’ve noticed have been fighting more recently in Shooto and DEEP. The Battle Royales and other such things hurt its legitmacy as a sport.

G-Shooto: Shooto IMO is the best MMA promotion in the world. It really treats MMA like a sport and it’s done so without trashtalking and prowrestling theatrics. A logical ranking system, an amature league, and a class based progression system shows why Shooto should be an example to the world. Shooto has had female fights on the card, Megumi Fuji vs Nadia Van Der Wel is the last one I remember. But now they’ve branched out with G-Shooto and hopefully it becomes the kind of success that Shooto has. When it gets bigger I hope it becomes the best event.

Cross Section: The first female MMA promotion to feature full MMA rules (though no striking to the head on the ground). A tad frillless but a solid event.

What are your opinions on other events? I haven’t seen many Hook N Shoot, except the match between Erica and Meguji. Also what of female MMA rules, it seems that in Japan at least the majority of events forbid ground and pound to the face. Do you think this rule should be changed in the future?

Last edited by Sudoraba on Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:47 pm
    Instructor

Quote:
    Also what of female MMA rules, it seems that in Japan at least the majority of events forbid ground and pound to the face. Do you think this rule should be changed in the future?

I don’t know of any American promotions that don’t allow women to gnp the face (maybe I’m wrong). I think it is a very smile rule that should be dropped. Female MMA rules should be the same as male MMA rules.

Sudoraba
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:42 pm

I agree. Though I wonder if it perhaps is more of a result of marketing that this rule is in place.

For some background there is this article about the first Cross Section event on boutreviewusa.com

Quote:
    This event, from the very first bout to the main bout was held completely under “MMA rules” and this is probably the first time in the history of Japanese fight sports. (Striking to the head on the ground is still prohibited but since this is a sport for women, I believe this can’t be helped.)

In the men’s event, this all-MMA-rules-bout event is common but it was difficult for women because there simply weren’t too many “regular” MMA fighters out there. SMACk GIRLS however came up with a -30 second limit on the ground- rule that prompted kick boxers to step into MMA, and this special rule for women – no striking to the head on the ground – became sort of like a “standard defect” which made it easier for grapplers to compete in the sport. And then, these women athletes began competing in women’s MMA rules and this situation fledged many “regular” woman MMA fighters in Japan.

http://www.fightergirls.com

If it helps, though several Japanese MMA events also forbid ground and pound to the face. Most notably RINGS and ZST, in fact such a ruleset is usually referred to as “Rings rules.”

Last edited by Sudoraba on Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luvmachine
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:39 pm

what is up with all these different rules for womens athletics?

2 min boxing rounds, no checking in hockey, no contact in lacrosse to name a few.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:08 pm
    Instructor

Quote:
    what is up with all these different rules for womens athletics?

2 min boxing rounds, no checking in hockey, no contact in lacrosse to name a few.

There are too many men out there that believe that women should not compete in “violent” sports because they are “too fragile and pretty”. Just make a post about it on the Underground and see what the majority of guys on there say.

Sudoraba
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:17 pm

Sherdog is worse, you can’t make a thread about women’s MMA that doesn’t turn into some smile debate

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:18 pm
    Instructor

There are many reasons that I stay away from there.

luvmachine
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:41 pm

sherdog blows

luvmachine
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:42 pm

what is the reason behind the 2 minute rounds in boxing?

Jeff
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:53 pm

Because of their clout, Pride or K-1 might eventually become the Pride of female MMA.

SubmissionMagician
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:58 pm

I think that the rules are smile, definitely but it seems that promoters think most people don’t want to see girls hit each other in the face. I mean, it’s hard enough to get people to take women’s fighting seriously. So, basically it’s what we want to do vs what people want to see.

I don’t think it’s the rule makers who really decided this. Ultimately I think it’s the money makers.

XcashXmoneyX
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:29 am
    Pro Fighter

hey, hook n shoot allows GnP to the face 😆

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:02 pm

😈 You are truely evil. 😈

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?