When Will Women fight in the UFC?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

KnockOut2
    Post subject: When Will Women fight in the UFC?PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:25 am

When Will Women fight in the UFC?

Please fill out the poll.

You can post your extra comments here…

tofu
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 11:56 am

UFC is going about a lot of things wrong in my opinion and that is unfortunate because they are the biggest promoter and people look at them as THE definition of the sport. The fact that they hold the matches in a cage instead of a ring is one example of how they tend to sell it as a “backyard brawl” type of event or a seedy underground fight to the death like you see in some martial arts movies. This is not what it is in reality but reality and public perception are two different things. Similarly, eye-candy ring girls are their image for women and they don’t seem to be making any attempt to modify or change that image. Women fighting could catch on with them, but I would guess it would only happen if there is overwhelming demand.
    Erik

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:37 am

more votes please

rebekah
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:36 am

I voted 2-5 years. I think it will happen someday, its just difficult to say when.

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:03 pm

I think and I hope within 6-12 months!

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:06 pm
    Pro Fighter

I remember reading opinions of this on the mma.tv underground forum and the men-folk were saying that there need to be more women with “skills” so they can form weight categories with enough women. I guess that sort of makes sense…as mma gets more popular, women are also starting to train/have been training and are getting better, so I voted for the next 2-5 years since stuff seems to be taking off lately. I seem to be in the majority.

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 12:48 pm

ok, so there is nobody who thinks that women will never fight in the UFC.

Joshi_Fan_sjt
    Post subject: UFCPostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:08 am

I’m probably the only one that thinks that women will never fight in UFC at least not for awhile….I’m a fan of both joshi & women fighters of MMA …I just feel that UFC is too set it its ways and style of fighting to change much like WWE…I also think that for the most part most of the male fighters have some serious egos and would not want to mix it up with a woman…There are probably some that wouldn’t mind, but the question is would they stick their neck out on the line to support or push for something that most of the other fighters are opposed to? Than you have the hardcore fans themselves who might not accept having women fighters competing in UFC which could also hurt their chances…I personally don’t have a problem with it, but I can’t really see it happening anytime soon unless there is an overwhelming demand for it by both the fighters and fans…

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:22 pm

I created a thread on the old forum (fightergirls.com) stating that I thought the female fight MMA scene wasn’t ready for UFC yet…that it would a year or two before the scene is developed enough to really provide enough great matchups…and first impressions are really important for winning over the audience. While I still think that is a good and valid point, my opinion on the matter has changed, especially after considering Debi Purcell’s thoughts on the matter…and hearing some comments from Erin Toughill’s expeirence as well.

For females fighting in MMA, there is no “pot of gold” at the end of the rainbow. There is nothing to aim for. As an example, as of this year, Women wrestlers will be allowed to compete in their own division in the Olympics. I’m sure that has attracted many women to train in wrestling at a much higher level now. Women wrestlers will probably pop out of the woodwork…and there will probably be more women joining small wrestling clubs around the world. It has also attracted women from BJJ to cross over to train in Wrestling. Even if they never come close to making it to the olympics, there is at least a focus of inspiration, something to aim for, a place to look up to. This is fuel that drives them further.

For this reason, I now think it would be best for female fighters to get in the UFC today. That would be best for the sport.

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 6:40 pm

Interesting comment from Yves Edwards concerning no title belt for his next fight vs Josh Thompson

A subdued Edwards questioned if there will ever be another lightweight champion in the UFC yesterday on MMA Weekly Radio. He went on to say, “I love fighting and I love to do this but, ultimately what’s the real goal? The situation is “frustrating” and Yves compared it to, “Kinda like driving with no destination.”

———————————————————

Makes more sense how allowing female fighters in the UFC could be so important to up-n-coming female fighters.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?