When you’re training, do you try to practice with everyone?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Anystylist
    Post subject: When you’re training, do you try to practice with everyone? PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:54 am

This might be more relevant to grappling clubs/schools than boxing gyms, but it’s for any F to respond:

1. Do you roll or spar only with people your trainer/sensei pairs you up with, or anyone you want?

2. If anyone, do you try to rotate through the other people at your facility so as to fight everyone eventually? (Excluding obvious weight or experience differences, of course.)

3. Do you mostly spar with other women, or will you spar with guys too, and if so, under what conditions? For example, will you only spar with more experienced guys? Less experienced? Guys who want to roll with you? Guys who don’t? Etc.

tapoutuk
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:45 am

Here’s what I do

1) I roll/box with people who my coach tells me to, I then try and spar with anyone else in the gym.

2) I rotate through everyone, regardless of weight, I am 51kg/112lbs and have grappled and boxed with lads up to 200lbs. My coach uses the theory that if you can grapple with someone heavy in training then when you fight someone your own weight you will find it easier to move them.

3) I try and spar/grapple with male and female opponents. People react differently so you pick up hints from everyone. I have sparred full contact boxing with men at the gym, but with headguard on, and held my own. I have also taken a lot of punishment from a male opponent when I told him to open up on me and not hold back. He hit me about 20-30 times in the head but got sloppy and I floored him with a right hook. It was the first time I took a proper punch from anyone and since then I will spar with anyone.

Some of the older teen lads 16-17 will sometimes not spar with me as I can tap them out on the floor and it isn’t good for their egos.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:57 am
    Instructor

I will grapple, box, or do MMA with anyone in our gym who is willing to pair up with me. I like to train with different body sizes in all ranges so I know my abilities with each weight.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:33 am
    Pro Fighter

I try and roll/practice with the people I like, and I know I’ll get a better work out with first, Otherwise, I try and rotate and train with guys and girls alike, when there ARE other women. I’ve only ever avidly avoided one guy, and that’s because he was scary in that he was vengeful when people defended his attacks, and found it hilarious to hurt people.

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:58 am

so why did the sensei let that psycho continue to train?

VooDooQueen
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:20 am

I spar and train with men only since I am the only woman fighter at my dojo. Sensei pairs us up…but he makes sure we fight everyone. There is no consideration taken for size, skill or time in training. The yellow belts will fight the black belts…of course …the black belts are told to take it a little easier on them…but not much. After all, in the street…you dont choose the size, weight and skill of an attacker. I find that I prefer to fight more skilled fighters…fighting with someone my level and lower doesnt help me at all. The only one I dont like to fight is the head sensei…he makes me just want to go into fetal position and rock back and forth till it is over. (hehe) He doesnt hurt us..but he is relentless.

We have one kid..and he is a kid ..only 15 …but holds several belts in several styles and is rather good. He could kick any grown man’s ass…I dont care to fight him much since he just doesnt grasp the idea of control…I mean..I can take it, but since he is so young…I dont wanna go full out on him for a pay back hit. I have warned him though that the next time he kicks my kidneys (illegal shot anyhow) that I was gonna take him down and take him down hard. He has also been known to get kids his age into headlocks and not respect the tap out. He is a good kid though, and in his defense, he does have some sort of mental handicap.

VooDoo

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:56 am

maybe control is an important thing for his sensei and you to drill into this ‘kid’. you very well might run into a parent that doesn’t find it amusing to have his kid headlocked or kidneypunched.

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:25 pm

VooDooQueen wrote:
    We have one kid..and he is a kid ..only 15 …but holds several belts in several styles and is rather good. He could kick any grown man’s ass…I dont care to fight him much since he just doesnt grasp the idea of control…I mean..I can take it, but since he is so young…I dont wanna go full out on him for a pay back hit. I have warned him though that the next time he kicks my kidneys (illegal shot anyhow) that I was gonna take him down and take him down hard. He has also been known to get kids his age into headlocks and not respect the tap out. He is a good kid though, and in his defense, he does have some sort of mental handicap.

VooDoo

Seems like a morron if you tell me, maybe a headbutt will losen things up between the ears! 😆

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:36 am
    Instructor

VooDooQueen wrote:
    I dont wanna go full out on him for a pay back hit.

Mamma always told me not to dish out what I couldn’t take. If he can hit you as hard as possible then you should certainly be able to teach him a lesson. The rule in my gym is that I’ll hit you as hard as you hit me and all of us live by that. If you try to take my head off I’ll do the same to you. That normally is enough for them to realize that they need to back off.

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:37 am

Quote:
    The rule in my gym is that I’ll hit you as hard as you hit me and all of us live by that.

Hmmm at my gym this has gotten to be a problem with one girl I spar… I hit her hard back and then she seems to get upset at me for hitting her hard… it’s kinda ruining the whole sparring thing for me because when you only have two other women to spar regularly and if you hit one of them as hard as she hits you, she seems to get upset and if you’re afraid of losing your training partner…. ehhh… it’s a sucky situation. If I don’t hit hard back though, I get hurt… she goes for blood (versus just landing a nice solid punch- which I can take). I was alright with it for a while because we both sparred hard and I thought it was a good experience… then she started telling all the guys at the gym that I hit hard and it seemed like she was getting mad…. so I mentioned it to my instructor and he was having us spar other people for a while. But the other day he threw us in together with boxing rules and roped us off into a small corner of the ring to teach us to not back off when there was a lot of pressure. He told us to go light with the punches because it was just a little drill for training us to slip, etc. Well I threw a couple light punches (barely touched her) and then I got smacked in the face with her jab… “Umm…” so I didn’t try QUITE so hard to go easy but I was still going pretty light—- but she escalated and eventually was going at me pretty hard… I threw a hard punch because I was getting sick of that crap and she stops and goes, “HEY! I thought we were going light!” I pointed out that she wasn’t…. anyways it ended up cycling back like that through 3 rounds. By the time I ever got to the point where I was like, “Screw it, i’m gonna hit hard back” I was already in pretty bad shape and didn’t really have what I needed to fight back. Towards the end of the 3rd round, I pretty much gave up and was up against the ropes just covering my face hoping the bell would ring. Worst experience I’ve ever had and I’ve been hesitant to spar since then. I was/am pretty frustrated with my instructor for watching it and not saying anything- particularly when he came up to me afterwards and told me that he saw it happening and I “did what was right” (ie. letting her have it whenever she got out of hand). It just seems like I’m getting nothing out of sparring her besides possibly getting injured and I’m getting sick of it looking like the two of us are in there having a cat fight (not joking, it’s REAL bad… everyone starts to crowd around- I’ve seen less aggression than that in actual cage fights… and I don’t generally see the guys sparring each other like that). I want to be able to spar where I can actually think and use technique- not just try to kill the other person- so that I can improve.

Bleh okay…. done whining. I have sparred with pretty much everyone at our gym who spars regularly (except some of the people who are just beginning) and haven’t had any other problems. Some of the guys don’t go hard enough on us sparring, but hopefully that will change now that there are more girls actually sparring at the school. 🙂

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:44 am
    Instructor

dl_angel,

I guess I should’ve explained what comes before “I’ll hit you as hard as you hit me”.
    We try to discourage egos in our class so everyone is pretty good about this; if you are hitting me too hard I will tell you to back off and vice versa. If after asking you a couple of times and you still don’t tone it down I’ll start hitting you hard.
    If I were in your situation I would tell the coach how I felt about it and that he needed to talk to her or just not put us together any more.

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:38 pm

Thanks for the advice 🙂

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:47 pm

Here’s another piece of advice – find another instructor and gym/dojo.

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:43 am

LOL- I love the gym I’m at and I see no reason to quit and change gyms just because I had one neg experience.

cakegirl
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:04 pm

At both karate and BJJ I spar/roll with anyone I feel like. I’m the only woman in BJJ, so I don’t have the choice of going with only women!

Eithne
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:50 pm

I avoid the girls – I’m not too good with newbies just yet and after that the girls quit so… there are no girls bar newbies. New ones are always so scared and gentle then they just wind up quitting when fists get involved. There are a couple of senior girls but they will only train with each other.

I prefer to train with guys anyway, the bigger and stronger the better. It means from day one my opponents have always been much bigger/stronger and my skills developed around that.

There are a couple of guys who throw real tear-filled hissy fits if I hit em more than a light tap so I avoid them, and a couple who refuse to touch me at all, I avoid them too.

XcashXmoneyX
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:18 pm
    Pro Fighter

ill roll/spar with pretty much anyone. there are a few whitebelts i avoid after trips to the hospital, but other than that everyone is worth working with.
    there are people that i pick above others to roll or spar with, if there is something in particular that i want to work on.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?