Where to start- Total NEWBIE

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

farrier_chick
    Post subject: Where to start- Total NEWBIE PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:51 pm

Hey, I guess I should introduce myself. I am 23 from Ontario Canada, I work part time as an Agricultural Assistant at a Vet Hospital working with horses, cows and all other large animals. I am 5’6 and *sigh* 175lbs, I have been trying to lose weight for over 2 years now and have lost 10 lbs in the last few months but seem to be “stuck” at 175. I bike every other day in the evenings for at least 5-10km’s at a good pace, I am starting to explore mountain biking, but am looking for another form of exercise and stress reduction. I have been considering taking up boxing or some other fighting sport/art. My boyfriend is active in KRAV MAGA but because he is so high up at the only local school I do not want to go there because I feel embarrassed training with him because I can’t keep up to him. I prefer to drive myself and work harder around those I don’t know.

I don’t feel that I am in NEARLY good enough condition to start out right away so I am looking for where to start, diet wise, etc.

I started dancing at age 4 and danced and taught up until I was 19 (I was competitive in Jazz, Tap, theatre and Irish but also took Ballet, and stretch classes. I trained on average 4-5 hours per night with only friday nights off and usually up to 8 hours per day on weekends. I have been out of it for 4 years and miss it just being part of my day, go to school, get home, have light dinner, go to dance, come home and do homework, bed. Repeat.

I now have my own house and 2 dogs, as well as my job which is an afternoon shift (330-midnight) and I usually get a lot of exercise here, cleaning stalls, restraining horses, heavy lifting, etc.

I guess I am saying that despite all my training I did as a dancer I could never accept that I did not have the typical “dancer” body, I am larger framed and am not meant to weigh 115 lbs, infact I cant think of when I was less than 140… dance has definately ingrained that I am “bigger” than the normal dancer and I have always struggled with it, so now I guess I need to find something that fits with my larger frame, as a fighter I would not be expected to be 115 lbs and having this naturally larger frame may be a good thing?

I just need some guidence on where to start what might be appropriate for my body type. The good thing is that I LOVE fruit and veggies (I almost live on them exclusively) and have just tried Tofu and dont mind it (when cooked right) I dont mind altering my diet, working hard, but I dont know where to begin or where would be a good goal!

I would appreciate ANY advice and encouragement,
    Thanks!

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:30 pm
    Instructor

I would guess that since you are exercising quite a bit that you need to lower your caloric intake to lose more weight. I’m a big advocate of the “Meat, Leaf, and Berry Diet”. If you are interested just ask and I’ll email you a copy.

farrier_chick
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:29 pm

Rikki,
    thanks I would love a copy!
    farrier_chick@hotmail.com

any thoughts on where to start for training? I am thinking I may try my hand at boxing, I used to be a blacksmith (farrier) so I know how much muscle I can build and strength, my hand-eye is quite good also, I just need some starting points, having danced for so long my knees arent the greatest for running but I can try.

Thanks for the advice!

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:40 pm
    Pro Fighter

Just start training, regarless of how in/out of shape you perceive yourself to be. You WILL get in shape training. No more excuses. Just do it!! OK?

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:44 pm
    Instructor

You have email.

Boxing is good, Muay Thai is good, Jiu-Jitsu is good, Greco and Freestyle wrestling are good (you’re probably going to have knee problems with anything athletic, though).
    MMA is the only thing I’ve ever trained. My gym teaches components of all the things I listed above all rolled into one. I think it’s great to form an all around game. It is also my opinion that it’s the best thing to train for self-defense reasons. That said, it’s not suited to everyone.

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:43 am

Muay thai kickboxing is going to get you in better shape than boxing in my opinion- kicking takes a lot out of you. Plus you get your legs in shape.

I question whether you’re really in as bad shape as you think you are… weight is a funny thing. I’m 5’5″ and 150, but I look about 120. Either way, don’t go crazy worrying about the weight part of it (it sounds like you eat well and you *do* exercise), and instead worry about your fitness and finding something to do for exercise that you love. If you want to get in shape before you start martial arts, maybe start walking/running every day with your dogs (or whatever you can handle with your knees- swimming maybe???). You’re getting a lot of exercise to build muscle at your job (I’ve lifted a few manure buckets and restrained some rather evil horses before so I have an idea about how much of a workout you’re getting) so you want to work on the cardio part of it. But either way, most people are out of shape when they start so it’s fine… it’s part of the fun, coming home exhausted every day but seeing a huge difference after a week or two. 🙂

Seeing how much you loved dance (and it sounds like you miss it) why don’t you try a martial art like Capoeira? If you want to spar and fight, it’s not going to work, but if you just want a sport to get in shape, that might be a good solution.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:17 am
    Instructor

Quote:
    Muay thai kickboxing is going to get you in better shape than boxing in my opinion- kicking takes a lot out of you. Plus you get your legs in shape.

Boxing gets your legs into shape too. You spend all that time standing on the balls of your feet. My calves got huge when I started boxing.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:34 pm
    Pro Fighter

You’re never in shape to start a martial art! LOL Martial arts/sports are what GETS you in to shape! 🙂 I’d advocate Judo or jiu-jitsu…then again, Muay thai kickboxing is a different kind of shape. Muay Thai is great cardio for me, and I go home tired, but I go home bone tired after jiujitsu and tend to lose more weight doing that. So I dunno! you have to see which has more appeal to you.

I agree with Rikki that lowering the caloric intake would be good, but also pay attention to what times you eat, like don’t eat after 6 PM. I always have my main meal early evening like 5 so I have energy from dinner to train, and if I eat anything after practice, it’s something very light like vegetables or low fat meat/dairy. Going to bed kind of hungry will mean you’ll lose some weight.

farrier_chick
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:44 pm

Well I am trying my best, I did slack off for the last year but I am back at it, I tried the whole going to the gym every morning at 5 but I found I was always exhausted, and the days I worked at the barn I work until midnight so to drive almost an hour home then get up at 4:30 to be at the gym was unrealistic.

Last night after work at nearly 1:00am, I drove home and measured the distance so I gave my self a good idea of how far 1/2 a loop would be and it worked out to be 5 km with some GREAT hills to challenge me, after 8 1/2 hours of working at the barn I think it was a good attempt, I was tired and was breathing hard from the hills.

I am lucky that my boyfriend is right into biking now so he came with me for the ride. 5km is on the short end of what I usually bike, it only takes me about 20minutes or less to bike that, but I was tired and knew I had to get up earlier today 😀

I am definately going to look into some different types of styles of fighting, do a few trial classes to see “what fits” with me. Basically my ultimate goal is to get in wicked shape for school next september (Paramedic School, if I get in that is!!)

I have always thought that I could be very muscular and fit, and I was when I danced. And YES I loved dance and do miss it very much, but you do not get much of an upper body work out.. although I did because I was THE strongest girl at my studio and had to do all the lifting of other dancers in absence of a lot of guy dancers! So in the grand scheme of things I had way more upper body strength than most of the others but I know I could have more.

I am leary of any styles that have direct shin kicking… I had an experience in dance where through improper nutrition and SEVERE shin splints I lost 25% of the density of my shins, to the point my bones were bowing when I walked or danced on them.. it was scary, I was only 14 and had to be sent for a bone scan and then was told if I jumped wrong or got kicked (by a person or a horse, cause I trained horses and danced at that time) It would snap like a twig.

I will definately try out a few different types to see what I like best and what I would accel at.

I will continue my biking and perhaps try running on trails instead of along streets. I dont mind swimming but 1: I hate to be seen in a bathing suit (big thighs, hips and but 😥 ) 2: I am good at swimming in the I can cross a lake if I needed to but lack real technique. I was doing aquafit but found that I felt funny amongst the old ladies, and didnt EVER feel tired or “the burn”

If I keep biking my legs will develop nicely and good cardio, if I do some boxing my upper body will develop nicely (I am hoping)

Any good starting points for boxing? Should I get a bag? or a speed bag? and do some basic stuff at home? I also have a bowflex that I use when its too late or I do not feel comfortable going on a late night bike ride alone.

Thanks again, you guys are great motivation and an invalueble source of information.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:24 pm
    Instructor

Quote:
    I am leary of any styles that have direct shin kicking… I had an experience in dance where through improper nutrition and SEVERE shin splints I lost 25% of the density of my shins, to the point my bones were bowing when I walked or danced on them.. it was scary, I was only 14 and had to be sent for a bone scan and then was told if I jumped wrong or got kicked (by a person or a horse, cause I trained horses and danced at that time) It would snap like a twig.

I don’t know if every gym is this way but where I train we only do what we can do. If everyone else is learning shin kicks that day you still learn how to kick, you just don’t get kicked. And my coach makes sure to let us all know (or remind us) if someone has an injury before we start sparring. Unless you plan on competing it shouldn’t be a problem…if it is a problem with the people you are training with I’d say to find a new gym.

Quote:
    Any good starting points for boxing? Should I get a bag? or a speed bag? and do some basic stuff at home? I also have a bowflex that I use when its too late or I do not feel comfortable going on a late night bike ride alone.

A good starting place for boxing is to go to a boxing gym and tell them that you are interested but have never done anything related before. They’ll start you off with the absolute basics. It actually works out best for them because they don’t have to work with any bad habits you might have picked up elsewhere.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?