Why Do You Fight?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

fight4you
    Post subject: Why Do You Fight?PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:23 am

Needless to say, fighting is not the stereotypical choice for most women. Of all the M.A. and combat sports, MMA, NHB etc, are the most extreme and dangerous forms one could choose.

So…why have you chosen to fight and why in the most extreme, most controversial forms available?

Is it because you have been in many competitive sports before and this is the only thing that offers you a buzz?

Is it because you followed a brother, a dad or a boyfriend into it and you just kind of slid into it?

Did you have some kind of violent experience earlier in life or suffered an abusive relationship with a male figure and this was the path to either learn self-defense or release inner demons?

Why do you fight?

Robert

gretamobetta
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:26 pm
    Pro Fighter

Its fun! :twisted I have days where training is miserable, but not miserable enough not to do it.
    Do others agree its fun?

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:20 am

Nobody else has a story?

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:13 am

I was doing martial arts to begin with, but my boyfriend did MMA so I decided to try it out. Really liked it because it was more realistic and the competition seemed more fun- I got frustrated with tkd because someone could miss my face by an inch and still get points, even when I moved out of the way to avoid their making contact. Got sick of all the rules and the gear in tkd.

Also, I like that I am one of many people at my gym who want to take this sport seriously- tkd was filled with children and some adults who were looking to lose weight or have fun. The instructor didn’t encourage us to compete and competing just didn’t seem as logical of a choice as it is in MMA. I like it that even though I may never earn lots of money competing, at least I might get travel expenses covered to do something that I love. And I LOVE the training and everyone’s more relaxed, informal, and fun at the gym than people were at the tkd school. I like the flexibility of MMA also. You have so many more options than in other martial arts.

Doing this is partially to test myself in several ways- to see if I can attack back if I was attacked, to see if I can actually attack back well enough to defend myself, and to see whether I can take a hit. And if any of those things ever are a problem, I intend to train myself to actually be able to do it.

VooDooQueen
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:03 am

I got into martial arts when my husband went to Iraq…put my boys into as well to keep them busy. They didnt want to do it, but I said..hey..I will do it with you. I found that it helps my stress levels and I found that I love to spar. I did grow up in a very abusive home, so maybe subconsiously I do it to let some of that out. I wanted to take up martial arts when I was a kid, but back home…lil ladies dont do that. I like the workouts I get as well, especially with the 21 yr old sensei who I would swear is overdosing on RedBull. (hehe)

Funny thing is ..when I am on the mat sparring..I dont really feel much pain until after it is over. Is anyone else like that? Or is it just me?

VooDooQueen

GODFATHEROFMMA
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:51 pm

Im with you VooDoo…..Wheres and what unit is your husband at??Im at Ft Hood and just got back from Iraq myself….

VooDooQueen
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:58 pm

Godfather,

My husband is with 3/3 ACR out of Ft Carson. Word is they are all going back to Iraq. We have orders to Germany, but I hear that 70,000 troops are being pulled out of there so I have no idea what is going to happen. I really wanted to go to Germany, too….mostly to be close enough to visit distance relatives of my husband’s in Sicily.

My husband is 19k (for you non military types…that is a tanker..meaning he drives, loads, fires a really cool tank..the M1A2Abrams)

VooDoo

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:08 am

Our prayers are with him. I hope he kicks the butt that deserves it, helps those that need it and that the damned media reports both accurately.

robert

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:24 am
    Pro Fighter

For me, martial arts were just something that was fun and I wanted to get better at it and be acknowledged. I could work really hard and see results. Then the same time I started MMA, I got this drive to want to grow and become stronger. That’s why, although I’m training to be the best fighter, I’ll be kind of sad if there’s no one to challenge me. Right now, there’s plenty of challenges! 🙂

(plus I have an underlying goal to bash the ‘women are weak, men are strong’ stereotype)

VooDooQueen
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:59 am

Fight4you…thank you….but they need to hurry up and get our soldiers, sailors and marines outta there. Its messing up their heads.
    Rox21….I feel ya on the no one to challenge ya thing. At the Rocky Mountain State Games…the women who were there only did forms and weapons. They all said they hated to spar, hated to get hit or were afraid of both. (UM..why ya in MA then?) Well, I had to fight this huge TKD guy…if I had punched straight forward..he would have gotten it in the groin. The guy was built like a mac truck. He also outranked me….I didnt know I was going to be put in the men’s division..so..they call my name..I step up to the mat ..they call him and I was like..um..OOOKKKK. I bowed…put in my mouthguard and put on my gameface snarl that I am becoming known for. I dove in…gave him a run for his money. He kept retreating from me….I got in some really good hits, some kicks..but I got no points. I had a hell of a time getting in…see..I am only five two. But..the point is…I fought..didnt back down…gave it my all. The crowd was like..oh..hell no…that woman is NOT gonna fight him.! My son heard a man saying …damn..she is kickin ass. So what I lost….I proved that women have courage and can be just as tough. He didnt seem to mind hitting me either..since I went home limping and pretty beat up. I was pissed though, because it was like the committee just said..lets let the lil lady fight since she paid to….ya know? This guy ended up winning gold in the men’s division. But…this is funny…they called my name…for a gold medal in the women’s division. I felt like an ass ..since I lost and was the only one. I look at it this way though…I went in..didnt back down…gave it my all and if it had been someone closer to my size and skill and my style..I would have won no doubt. One of the other opponents told me I deserved the medal though…since he lost to that guy too. I saw his match..he was a good fighter too.

Bottom line..this is my story and I am sticking to it: I fought in the men’s division..and won a gold medal. 😆
    VooDoo (chick with kahunas…hahahaha)

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:07 am
    Pro Fighter

That’s a really inspiring example. ^_^ I like you, voodoo. I remember when I went to Judo and jiu-jitsu tournaments 3 or 4 years ago and there were only like 2 or 3 women in the division. I took home a first place and thought “Man I didn’t earn this..” and didn’t even want to go get the trophy. Then my Judo sensei said (repeated by my jiujitsu sensei 3 years later) that I had the courage to go out onto the mat, so that entitles me. Bah…I thought, but that’s because I took it for granted. Of COURSE I would go out there. It’s really no huge deal. But then I fought in the men’s division, beat another woman who had entered, and then lost to a guy….I got a trophy for 4th place mens feather weight. I thought…well, I have this trophy for mens…but I didn’t beat a man. 🙁 I beat a woman. :/ it’s not the same but…

YAY! 😀 😀 And your story is pretty cool, too. That sounds really intimidating, so just take the trophy as a symbol. That’s what they are anyway, right? 😉

VooDooQueen
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:14 am

Rox21…thanks! Yup..a symbol…like I said…I won gold in the men’s division..that’s my story and I am stickin to it…hahaha.
    It does suck to train day after day to compete only to get to a tourney and there is no one to test your skills with. With the way I fight (super agressive..was told I should check out boxing…haha) I should just look for some underground crap. True…it may be a bit on the exploitation side…which i abhor..but…ya can make some money. I would at least be ready for that guy again. I kinda want a rematch. mwuahahahahaha
    VooDoo

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:40 am

Fight for fun,exitement,adrenaline,everything!
    It’s a way of life!

GODFATHEROFMMA
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:47 pm

Voodoo i dont know about a really cool tank being an M1a1 Abrahms…when im in charge of a PALDIN HOWITZER M109A6..anyways tell your husband I said goodluck and about germany…I just got back from there…..I was in Giessen…DONT COUNT ON IT….

ThehoundofCulan
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:51 am

First, off, I’m a male, so my story isn’t as exciting as any of yours. Yes, I fight because I’m a guy and that’s what we do, right? Well, I’m not one of those macho aggressive types, unless I’m being protective (which I’m known to do…I’m a guy, remember?). I fight because of how pure it is. It’s two human beings in the most physically and mentally challenging competition there is. It takes so much more than brute strength to go out there and fight someone or roll with them. And I’m not out there for winning. In fact, forget winning and losing, that’s for sports. I don’t see what I do as sport. Athletes break a sweat, warriors spill blood. I go out there for battle, not a game. I’m not tryin’ to kill another guy, but I never plan on anything ending by points or decision. If I’m down at the end of the fight, I want it to be clear that he prevailed against me. I hate fighting for points, that makes it just a game. I don’t care if I get tapped out of knocked out, atleast I didn’t lose by points. That was a little off track, but I think it helps to express how I feel about combat.

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:31 am

What in the world did that mean?

Joana
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:15 am

My story is not that breath-taking 🙂

Since I was 6 I always wanted to join a martial art club.
    My parents restricted me taking karate-classes though.

One day a guy attacked me and my friend when we were strolling in the woods. My friend panicked and started to run away yelling fu.. well, yelling pretty damn good 🙂
    The guy took my jacket and hadn’t it been for my documents inside of it, I’d run. But I didn’t.
    I started to kick him as hard as I could, not there, where I should, but still…
    When finally he let off, I took my jacket and started to run, or rather walk, because he walked away too.

I believe he was an exhibicionist, who simply wanted us to pay attention to him. Nevertheless, after a day or two I was wearing boxing gloves during my first martial art training 🙂

p.s. I liked your story voodoo 😉

ThehoundofCulan
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:24 pm

Uhm, not sure if you are asking what the post meant of what the sig means. As for the post, I just meant that I fight because of the combat aspect, the pure warrior mentality. Which means I don’t go out the for sport of points, I go out there for toe tags and body bags. As for the sig, if that is what you meant, it is a blessing meaning “May God not weaken your hand.” Could do without the God thing, but it is meant to wish you all good luck in fighting and such.

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:56 pm

and why is your post not to be considered a bit oh, sociopathic? as far as your sig – “Do you think God is really present at such an endeavor, much less pleased by it?

Just a thought

ThehoundofCulan
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:28 pm

When I say I’m going out there to leave someone toe tagged and body bagged, I don’t mean it literally. I mean that I’m going out there are a warrior, not a point fighter. It’s me or him. He wants to hurt me, and I’m not letting that happen. The fact is, in combat, it’s not winners and losers, it doesn’t work that way. I could come out of a fight with something broken or worse. I definitely wouldn’t use fighting as a way of taking out aggression or anything like that. In training I really hate to hit my training partners hard, I just don’t like to hurt people if I don’t have to. But the moment I step into the cage, the ring, or whatever showcase there may be for my combat skill, everything changes. The person across from me becomes my enemy. If you still aren’t getting what I’m trying to explain, there’s little else I can say. As for the God thing, since you obviously didn’t get that one when I said that I could do without the God thing…I won’t attempt it. But, remember God is a diety of vengeance. It is quite clear that he condones war at points. “Whoso sheddeth the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed. For in the image of God made he man.” “Blessed be the Lord, my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.” This is a diety that would punish a man for eternity for a single lifetime led astray. I’ve little doubt that he would take some kind of sadistic enjoyment in seeing his children at each other’s throats.

VooDooQueen
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:50 pm

ThehoundofCulan,

There are a few things I have learned while chatting with others online…two of which are do not discuss politics and religion. One who doesnt understand the Bible and has not studied it cannot pass judgement on something, I feel, you dont really know. I was brought up in church in the Bible Belt so I know quite a bit about the God. Yes, he is a vengeful God but towards those who do not obey his commandments. He does not enjoy His children killing each other. Perhaps you should do a bit more research on a subject before you speak on it.

VooDoo Queen

ThehoundofCulan
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:32 am

I know a good bit about the Bible, more than most people who claim Christianity. To a be a good Atheist, you have to know what you are denouncing. Yeah, I know God isn’t supposed to be like the way in which I pictured him, I just like to get people fired up every once in a while. The fact is, though, there is nothing unchristian about fighting in my opinion. It is for the challenge, and most people aren’t going out there to kill anyone, so it’s not like you’re breaking a commandment or anything. The most anyone could argue would be to go with the cliché “do unto others” arguement, but if a fighter doesn’t know by now that the opponent is tryin’ to hit them to, perhaps they shouldn’t be in the ring. Sorry about the offense in last post, just get a little carried away sometimes, especially when I put an obvious note that the God part doesn’t necessarily need to be taken literally in my earlier post and that is completely ignored.

bjjamazon
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:36 am

I hate talking about politics and religion. Things get messier there than in the ring! lol I agree with voodoo, but I dont think culan meant it in a bad way.

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:31 am

When one waxes happily about toe-tags and body-bags instead of points and then includes quotes about God not weakening your hand – well, the door is opened.

Bob
    nashville

VooDooQueen
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:59 am

Perhaps he didnt mean it in a bad way….and nothing in his comment was ignored. When you speak of God in any manner, you will offend someone, be it Christians, Jews, Hindi, Aethiests or whomever…best to just leave it alone. I could go on all day about the Bible, not because I am a saint, because I certainly am not…but let’s just make a different site for those discussions.

I also agree with Fight4you about the body bags and toetags and God. Kinda of made you sound um…no offense..but rather twisted.

I dont know about where all of you guys are, but there are several Christian based dojos here. On the school badge of one of them is the cross in the background and a high kicking guy in front. Contradictory? Perhaps, but I do believe it is what is in the soul.
    For all intents and purposes..I agree to disagree and to each his own opinion and religion. After all, this is America and that is what this country was founded on. It is also what my husband is helping to protect.
    VooDoo

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:56 pm

Well I think training for self defense is a good thing, training for a responsible sport is fine, training for a stint in Special Forces or SWAT is fine – training in an extreme form for anything else is, well…..

We don’t live in the Old West or in feudal Japan, and comic books ain’t real life, if you catch my drift.

Robert

ThehoundofCulan
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:49 pm

Thought I made it clear, but apparently not. I don’t literally mean I’m going to kill someone, it’s just a figure of speach. We like to call it hyperbole, look it up. I knew you’d just ignore that part of the post though, which I noted that someone would. Oh well. I do think it’s best to just let this all die down, though. Let me just make it clear, and then the subject can be ended, unless this fires someone else up. I don’t like to hurt people, I don’t want to kill anyone, I speak figuratively, and the quote in my sig is meant to be good, not twisted.

ladygrappler
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:47 am

*whew* (wipes brow) I broke a sweat just trying to keep up with all of that!!! This whole discussion kinda led us off topic didnt it? Since I was under the impression it was supposed to be a thread about why we fight i will post my story! Not nearly as breatht taking as Voodoos! (you go girl) but my story none the less!

I was in an abusive realtionship for …about a little under two years. I ended up moving away, and when I got call from him telling me that I couldnt hide from him..i figured now was a good time to take action. I started off in Tae Kwon do. Great olympic sport however not your ideal self defense! I remeber the first grappleing class i did I nearly cried through the whole thing. There were no women to teach me or train with and at this point my preconceived notions on men werent anywhere near positive. It was tough trying to work through being choked and armbared by guys. I know now how bad they all felt (what a great group! Love em!) but did it because any other way wouldnt have worked. My ex never found me, or followed me im assumeing , but i continued with the sport! I love it! Its the Ying to my yang! I would recommend it to anyone!

VooDooQueen
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:07 pm

Ladygrappler,

Give yourself credit! Your story outdoes mine by miles. Think of all the women who are in shelters and will end up back with the abuser. Think of the women who ended up in a grave…Girlfriend..you did something about it. You faced your fears…you overcame them. I can garuantee that you will never ever be victimized again. My hat is off to you….!!!!
    VooDoo

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:08 am

In Jr. High/High School – every guy should have to take Home Ec., Every girl should have to take Auto Mechanics and BJJ.

Imagine the vastly different world by just those small changes.

Robert

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:50 am

Well done Lady Grappler for leaving that relationship! That takes real strength. And it’s good to know someone’s safe from being abused.

I think the beauty of the sport is that everyone’s so supportive (at least they seem to be) and that helps us survive things that might be difficult to deal with alone. The sport is also really empowering. Can’t say enough good things about it. 🙂

Zoe
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:58 pm

I like to fight because I love the rush of battle and beating an opponent. Once someone stands up against me I’ll do what I need to to win.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?